Cove Driver bidding language in local supplement

AKCoverMan

Utility are full time cover drivers.
Again, maybe somewhere but not everywhere. I am not a utility driver. Here I am a full time service provider just without a bid route. Same pay and seniority list as the bid route drivers I have just not chosen to bid a route. I am senior to many bid route drivers.

We have a classification called "utility driver". These are PT employees who normally work on the air ramp or in the hub but can be called to drive if all of the available full time drivers are being used and we have more to cover. They get paid either 18.75 or their regular PT rate whichever is greater for all hours worked on a day they drive. Usually, but not always, they do not work their regular job on a day they are called to drive.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Article 48 Section 6, Southern Supplement says seniority will be considered when non bid holding drivers select vacancies. There's no wording on time frame of posting the routes available, it's on a day by day basis. We have PT cover drivers and FT cover drivers, (We call them swing drivers)

CHALLY9TX

Again, maybe somewhere but not everywhere. I am not a utility driver. Here I am a full time service provider just without a bid route. Same pay and seniority list as the bid route drivers I have just not chosen to bid a route. I am senior to many bid route drivers.

We have a classification called "utility driver". These are PT employees who normally work on the air ramp or in the hub but can be called to drive if all of the available full time drivers are being used and we have more to cover. They get paid either 18.75 or their regular PT rate whichever is greater for all hours worked on a day they drive. Usually, but not always, they do not work their regular job on a day they are called to drive.

Your utility is our cover. Your cover drivers are our utility. Weird huh? Haha.
We don't really say utility either. We say swing driver.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
From the Atlantic Area Supplement:

Package drivers who did not exercise a bid or drivers who are
removed from their bid training route will work as cover drivers.
The primary job of these employees is to cover vacations or
absences of a week or more in duration.
These package cover drivers must select such work in seniority
order. This selection will be completed by Thursday for the following
weeks to be covered. Example: Driver Smith on vacation for
one (1) or more weeks. Cover driver Brown selects to cover Smith’s
vacation. Brown must cover for duration of vacation(s). Once cover
work is selected, the cover driver must complete the work schedule
selected prior to making another selection

Overpaid Union Thug

Article 48 Section 6, Southern Supplement says seniority will be considered when non bid holding drivers select vacancies. There's no wording on time frame of posting the routes available, it's on a day by day basis. We have PT cover drivers and FT cover drivers, (We call them swing drivers)

In the Southern it really comes down to local practice. We are on a day by day basis too but it very well could be weekly bids if enough people expressed interest. I wish we would. It would almost eliminate the amount of people that congregate in front of, and stare at, the manning board every morning.

barnyard

KTM rider
My center does the every Thursday thing. To make scheduling easier, every couple of years, we fill out a chart, checking off routes we have knowledge and order of preference for what we would run.

Most weeks, my boss has a good idea what I will run and sends a diad message to confirm it, many times he adds a 2nd choice, others the whole list of choices. I choose and that is what I run the next week. Weeks when none of my faves are available, I run the crap wagon that has the areas that I like running.

We have language for extra board/unassigned feeder and package drivers in our supplement. I am surprised that yours does not. Have you checked to see if there is feeder language?? If so, use that.

AKCoverMan

We have language for extra board/unassigned feeder and package drivers in our supplement. I am surprised that yours does not. Have you checked to see if there is feeder language?? If so, use that.
Well we only have four feeder runs in the state. Three full time plus a part time run that shuttles from our center to the satellite and sometimes pickes up NadA fish. Couple of guys in package serve as covers for those feeder runs. It's just not big enough to have that any such language in our rider for feeders.