Crony Capitalism and Using The State to Cheat Your Customers

wkmac

United Airline stewardess warmly greeting arriving passengers on the next flight from Chicago to Louisville.

https%3A%2F%2Fblueprint-api-production.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fuploads%2Fcard%2Fimage%2F443110%2F2169e697-f172-4fee-9e63-907087d8d7e8.png

wkmac

How is it that a sporting venue can sell 50k, 75k and even in a few cases 100k tickets to sporting event after sport event and not once do they double book the same seat but in the case of airlines, it seems this occurs more often than we know?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
How is it that a sporting venue can sell 50k, 75k and even in a few cases 100k tickets to sporting event after sport event and not once do they double book the same seat but in the case of airlines, it seems this occurs more often than we know?
Because the airlines do it on purpose.

wkmac

Because the airlines do it on purpose.

Now that this has occurred, more and more stories are coming out that seems to support your statement. In 1979' I was on an Eastern Airlines flight that was overbooked and I was the lucky winner but in this case I was a winner. They moved me up to first class and let me tell ya, that was some good livin'!

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

oldngray

nowhere special

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
They overbooked that flight but what caused the biggest problem was they were trying to squeeze in 4 of their own employees that needed to travel and forced passenger "volunteers" off the plane. Their own people should have been forced to wait if there weren't enough passengers willing to wait.
I understand them trying to get their people there. It was a flight crew not individual employees. They just handled it all wrong. Well, plus the overbooking thing.

oldngray

nowhere special
I understand them trying to get their people there. It was a flight crew not individual employees. They just handled it all wrong. Well, plus the overbooking thing.
Airlines always overbook and can usually provide enough incentives to get customers to wait if necessary. No way should they have dragged an unwilling passenger off the plane. They will end up paying through the nose for that.

vantexan

Airlines always overbook and can usually provide enough incentives to get customers to wait if necessary. No way should they have dragged an unwilling passenger off the plane. They will end up paying through the nose for that.
United is one of a few airlines that give FedEx retirees discounted standby tickets. And they stand out because they give both the retiree and spouse unlimited flights annually. As they fly to a city in Mexico I'm interested in retiring in now I have to wonder if the tickets will even be usable much of the time.

wkmac

United is one of a few airlines that give FedEx retirees discounted standby tickets. And they stand out because they give both the retiree and spouse unlimited flights annually. As they fly to a city in Mexico I'm interested in retiring in now I have to wonder if the tickets will even be usable much of the time.

The tickets may be good but the fine print language in the ticket agreement requires you to get a beat down before take off.
;)

Just checked out of curiosity and United Airlines has trimmed $600 million of its stock value today. Seems now United would have been better served to rent a Gulf Stream and fly that Doctor to Louisville in style.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
United passenger traded drugs for gay sex with patient | Daily Mail Online

• Dr David Dao's troubled medical past is revealed in court documents
  • His wife Teresa - also a doctor - reported him to medical authorities and his secret inappropriate gay relationship with a patient was revealed
  • Father of five, 69, was convicted of a felony - but avoided prison time - because he was giving the man prescription drugs in return for gay sex
  • He denied the gay sex even though he was caught on camera shirtless and in his pants with Brian Case, his lover, 26, who was a fellow worshiper at his church
  • Case said he believed that Dao wanted to hook him on prescription narcotics including Oxycontin so he would keep coming to him for gay sex
  • Psychiatrist found Vietnamese-born doctor had series of issues and one doctor wrote that he 'he would unilaterally chose to do his own thing'
  • He only got his licence back after agreeing to be drug tested and polygraphed

wkmac

...and how does any of this justify the way that he was treated by the airline...?

It doesn't. Tip of the cap for stating the obvious @UpstateNYUPSer .

Did United Airlines do a background exam of this passenger or did they ignore such background and sell him a ticket anyway? What would we learn if we examined the backgrounds of all the other passengers on board the plane? And yes, that is just a irrelevant too.

I would suspect some of this is coming to light now on behalf of United Airlines.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
it's pretty obvious that the airline paid some journalists to dig a little extra

it really speaks to corporate culture when they're willing to take hundreds of millions in market losses, risk boycotting, and generally look like retards just to avoid a potential $10 million lawsuit payout