Crony Capitalism and Using The State to Cheat Your Customers

oldngray

nowhere special
Yes. Totally free. I am also a current member for credit score/monitoring so they already have all my personnel information.

Turbo Tax charges extra for more than one state software download and then $29 for each state e-filed. Not paying them those charges when I can do it for free.
Turbo Tax is easily the worst for adding on extra charges.

oldngray

nowhere special
I know. I should probably switch tax software but have been using Turbo Tax for at least 10 years and like the feature of transferring all previous years information instead of starting over from scratch.
The other programs can transfer your history even from different programs so shouldn't be an issue.

wkmac

How do you claim you can get a 100% return on any investment in 1 year? Bet on red?

There are other places than just the stock market or the gambling table one can make money. For example, one can have a welding skill, buy a welder for $500 and then complete a job for $1500 making a $1000 profit. Or one can buy $500 of building material and build a deck for someone at $1500 and profit $1000. One can buy $200 of plumbing supplies and build and install a central distribution manifold and make $2100 clearing $1900 in profit.

As I said, the market is not the only place one can make money.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

One year my son owed me some money for some damage he and his roommates caused at college which I paid his share of. I made him sign a contract that I would prepare his taxes and deduct that amount from his refund, which I did.

It will be fine

There are other places than just the stock market or the gambling table one can make money. For example, one can have a welding skill, buy a welder for $500 and then complete a job for $1500 making a $1000 profit. Or one can buy $500 of building material and build a deck for someone at $1500 and profit $1000. One can buy $200 of plumbing supplies and build and install a central distribution manifold and make $2100 clearing $1900 in profit.

As I said, the market is not the only place one can make money.
Those are jobs. Your initial point was against the interest free loan to the government meaning your issue is the lack of interest. Where can I make a loan and get back 100% interest?

wkmac

Those are jobs. Your initial point was against the interest free loan to the government meaning your issue is the lack of interest. Where can I make a loan and get back 100% interest?

The point was I'm letting the gov't use my money for free when I can put that money to work by other means and make something from it. The fact that the gov't doesn't even give me (or you) interest just makes the point.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Having just this morning written a check to the US Treasury for an additional $4500 I feel I'm entitled to subject the IRS and the US gov't to any form of HUMOR I feel like.
;)
Double down for me!
I cashed in an IRA left over from the old Thrift Plan forgetting it would be counted as income.
Luckily the $28k was still sitting in an account.
Will not make that mistake again!

wkmac

Double down for me!
I cashed in an IRA left over from the old Thrift Plan forgetting it would be counted as income.
Luckily the $28k was still sitting in an account.
Will not make that mistake again!

That old Thift Plan was a "Can't Miss" investment. Another victim of the "New UPS". Former co-worker who worked at UPS from 1966' to 1996' had right at $200k in his plan, all from $6 a week. I rolled mine into an IRA and still have it and its still rolling along.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
upload_2017-4-16_8-47-57.jpeg

Amazon's hot new toy?