Curious about any training about walking on snow or ice...

Lorenzo

New member... Did any of you receive training about precautions to take when out of your truck and walking on snow and/or ice. How about re appropriate footwear to use when those conditions exist. Did anyone ever recommend the use of devices on your boots such as ice creepers or Yaktrax? I am interested in knowing. Thanks.

xkingx

I'm sure thats where the lovely 5keys to preventing slips and falls come into place...im sure they still push the walking at a brisk pace:knockedout:

softshoe

New member... Did any of you receive training about precautions to take when out of your truck and walking on snow and/or ice. How about re appropriate footwear to use when those conditions exist. Did anyone ever recommend the use of devices on your boots such as ice creepers or Yaktrax? I am interested in knowing. Thanks.

In our bldg UPS does issue "ice grippers" to wear for all Drivers and helpers.

rod

Retired 22 years
No training required----you are expected to move just as fast on ice and snow as you are bare ground. :wink2: P.S. Be careful walking on a customers wood floor with those ice creepers on.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Common since................ or common sense.
See how easy it is to make a mistake? And then you cant go back and change it.

outta hours

We get 1 or 2 snow and ice days here a year. I used to always make it in to work on those days. A few years back on one of the ice days we had a driver fired for having an accident. We do not have chains or any other type of winter weather gear here. Since that incident I have called in option 3 on any bad weather days. Just not worth losing my job to make delivery attempts on closed businesses. Since winter weather is an oddity here everything closes down when it occurs. On a normal day it takes me 1 hr. to get to my first stop. On the last bad weather day I worked it took 4 hrs. to get there and 5 hrs. to get back. I made 7 stops before we were told to return to the bldg. Just not worth the risk to me.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Not really training, but ice is one of those situations where you forget about walking on the sidewalks and driveways, and use the yard. Better footing.

Snow on the other hand you still want to stay on the paved surfaces.

I would think that unless the "grippers" were made of rubber, that would be a danger when re-entering your package car. Metal on metal is very slick if you add water or snow to the mixture.

d

25yrvet

Oh Yes, we got issued a cheap pair of grippers just before the snow started to fly last fall; along with them was a page long do/don't list. "Do not wear inside", these were the metal bottom type. What a joke, we were supposed to sign & date the list, but most didn't.
If it's any comfort, BNSF was in the same quandry last fall also.

Ms Spoken

Training for walking on ice.... hummmm Get down on your hands and knees and crawl as you slide that package in front of you. That way When you go down it will not hurt so bad.

Big Babooba

I would think that unless the "grippers" were made of rubber, that would be a danger when re-entering your package car. Metal on metal is very slick if you add water or snow to the mixture.

d
They are just as bad on smooth tiled floor. My posterior hindquarters will vouch for that.:knockedout: