Current Flavor of the Month?

tranham

YOU ARE NUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!! I only let them know through the diad if I am going to work past 8pm. (Any infraction of Telematics by myself during the day (bulk head door opened during travel, seat belt came off during travel, etc)) YOU ARE FREEKIN MORE NUTS!!!!!! why would you text them if your seat belt came off while you were driving? Let them approach you, and tell them to talk to your shop stewart!!!!!!! Then tell them telematics is wrong and they need to check the system.

Yes, nuts is what I think. This came from our DM recently. Everyone in PCM groaned about it too. We have to call in any noted infractions of telematics. We have to call in any packages not delivered except send agains. Like I have an extra 10 minutes a days to be sending messages. Packages that are in our EDD but not found in the truck? Send it in.

Now I understand that some of you are not using your cell phones. We have a list posted in the office of everyones cell number for all to read. I go on vacation and my cover driver calls me for directions. I call other drivers when they give me a split I've never run. Honestly I'm so used to it that it would feel odd not to being using it for work.

Robert

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have to take exception to this, Robert. I don't have a cell phone and if I did I wouldn't use it for what you use yours. You, my friend, are what I call a closet runner/gunner. You may not speed here and there and leave your bulkhead door open, but your hurry up attitude about calling COD customers, bad Addresses and such, is NOT what you get paid to do. You get paid to wait for COD's. You also get paid to bring the address corrections to the clerk, for corrections. You are causing yourself to lose money and mgmt is looking at your route thinking that it should be run in so many hours, when in fact you're short changing the true numbers.

So next time you say you speak for "MOST" drivers, don't.

What you call a "hurry up" attitude I call working smarter, not harder. I have this one COD customer who makes molasses look fast. I call her and when I get there the checks are all ready, saving me at least 5-10 minutes. I also will call on any bad addresses as I hate send agains/exceptions. Customers appreciate it when I take the extra step of trying to get their packages to them.

Steve, it is your choice as to whether you want to carry a cell phone or not. I consider the cell phone to simply be another tool at my disposal.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
What you call a "hurry up" attitude I call working smarter, not harder. I have this one COD customer who makes molasses look fast. I call her and when I get there the checks are all ready, saving me at least 5-10 minutes. I also will call on any bad addresses as I hate send agains/exceptions. Customers appreciate it when I take the extra step of trying to get their packages to them.

Steve, it is your choice as to whether you want to carry a cell phone or not. I consider the cell phone to simply be another tool at my disposal.
LMAO You have a COD customer like that toooo, huh? Why is it there is always one that has to take forever to write out checks. The one we have uses one of those old imprint machines to stamp the amount of the check. He has to have invoice numbers on every single check, which I can't really fault him for. 85 (compliments of my cat, he had to put in his 2 cents :surprised:). I do have to agree on the phone though. I do use it for work but I seriously try not to make a habit of it nor will I readily give my number to customers. That is not advantageous to me as I am on a different rte all the time. I did give my number to a customer yesterday for this week. She has a scheduled pu every day but the stop is out in BFE and if I don't have to go there then it is worth it.

dave991

Lead, don't follow.
In the southwest its all about SPOHR and reducing over-allowed hours. Mgmt has ridden with the majority of our drivers (in the Jan. Feb. March. months) now that it is hitting 105 + every day they push for you to ignore fatigue and be the machine they want. My Mgr. actually said you should work harder after you've been on the clock for 8 hours than before because HE is paying us more per hour. Oh, and now they are eliminateing routes based on summer volume, pushing different areas to various drivers and still demanding the original SPOHR numbers to be applicable.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Flavor of the month in my center is exception packages and missed scans...they're handing out warning letters left and right when drivers forget to turn in exception packages to the clerk.

Oh, and everything related to safety. Now all the drivers in my center have binders with tiny safety quizzes for each day that we have to fill out before going out on road. One more thing to deal with in the chaos of the morning...

In you center, as I'm sure you are aware, the drivers who miss bringing packages into the office are the usual suspects and I'm pretty sure the warning letters are legit

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Dilli, is the P/U stop in BFE on the computer for her P/U? If so and if she does not send out stuff everyday she would be an ideal candidate for the Smart Pickup.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

Your "working smarter, not harder is just another way of saying Hurry, Hurry. You get paid by the hour. They don't give you a cell phone, or pay you to use your cell phone. There's no method that says "use your cell phone". You are losing money from your paycheck by sidestepping normalcy. You are doubly losing money by using your own minutes, that YOU pay for, on your cell phone. I know I'm wasting my breath, but please don't tell other people that this is the proper way to work, when it's only being done to make YOUR day go FASTER!

LMAO You have a COD customer like that toooo, huh? Why is it there is always one that has to take forever to write out checks. The one we have uses one of those old imprint machines to stamp the amount of the check. He has to have invoice numbers on every single check, which I can't really fault him for. 85 (compliments of my cat, he had to put in his 2 cents :surprised:). I do have to agree on the phone though. I do use it for work but I seriously try not to make a habit of it nor will I readily give my number to customers. That is not advantageous to me as I am on a different rte all the time. I did give my number to a customer yesterday for this week. She has a scheduled pu every day but the stop is out in BFE and if I don't have to go there then it is worth it.

Those extra miles that you're missing out on are actually hurting your dispatch.....oh, that's right, you're a cover driver, so who cares what happens the day you cover someone else's route?:dissapointed:

Your "working smarter, not harder is just another way of saying Hurry, Hurry. You get paid by the hour. They don't give you a cell phone, or pay you to use your cell phone. There's no method that says "use your cell phone". You are losing money from your paycheck by sidestepping normalcy. You are doubly losing money by using your own minutes, that YOU pay for, on your cell phone. I know I'm wasting my breath, but please don't tell other people that this is the proper way to work, when it's only being done to make YOUR day go FASTER!

Those extra miles that you're missing out on are actually hurting your dispatch.....oh, that's right, you're a cover driver, so who cares what happens the day you cover someone else's route?:dissapointed:
+1,000,000

DS

Fenderbender
I'm totally behind stug on this one.I go out of my way to call customers too but I do it for free using my customers phone or by sending a text msg on my diad.Like Steve said,if your job necessitated your cell phone use,ups would provide you with one.This should be an issue in the upcoming contract.Using your
personal phone to cut corners on your dime is not only stupid,it's unethical and akin to cheating as far as
their time studies and operations reports go.Cell phones may seem to make your life easier but until you
are instructed to call ahead for cod's, ask if they are shipping today,or giving the center your number,try
to remember Steve and I,doing the job the way it's supposed to be done.This cell phone addiction is the new cigarette.I see people driving, taking on the phone,others walking into traffic,some transfixed on their texting or some weird app forgetting they are actually in the here and now.This new technology
is indeed amazing,but at what cost? Sorry for the long rant.

browned out

I'm totally behind stug on this one.I go out of my way to call customers too but I do it for free using my customers phone or by sending a text msg on my diad.Like Steve said,if your job necessitated your cell phone use,ups would provide you with one.This should be an issue in the upcoming contract.Using your
personal phone to cut corners on your dime is not only stupid,it's unethical and akin to cheating as far as
their time studies and operations reports go.Cell phones may seem to make your life easier but until you
are instructed to call ahead for cod's, ask if they are shipping today,or giving the center your number,try
to remember Steve and I,doing the job the way it's supposed to be done.This cell phone addiction is the new cigarette.I see people driving, taking on the phone,others walking into traffic,some transfixed on their texting or some weird app forgetting they are actually in the here and now.This new technology
is indeed amazing,but at what cost? Sorry for the long rant.

If you are calling your pu and not going there physically and with the package car; you will be fired sooner or later for falsifying records.

PS where is RaglaFart, ON?

tourists24

not to mention we have drivers here that have been given warning letters for talking on their cell phones while driving. Even when it's the supervisor calling. I say, put the cell phones away for good unless you are on lunch or break

brown bomber

brown bomber
not to mention we have drivers here that have been given warning letters for talking on their cell phones while driving. Even when it's the supervisor calling. I say, put the cell phones away for good unless you are on lunch or break

just for your info.....I believe the use of cell-phones, is allowable.........a number of drivers and I found this provision in the contract................JUST WONDERING, why is it that every feeder driver you see is using a cell phone,

browniehound

Understood, here is what I have to text or call in for every day

Misloads
Missing packages
Late Packages
Packages that are sheeted NSS,NSP, MOVED,etc
Over 9.5
Accidents/ injuries
Missed pickups
Any infraction of Telematics by myself during the day(bulk head door opened during travel, seat belt came off during travel, etc)

What I use my cell for beyond that is:

Call ahead to COD customers to have a check ready
Call number on a package to locate customer (bad address, etc)
Call pickup to see if they have anything

Then there are the where are you calls from Supervision. Have a misload, coming to get it, etc.
I talked to my center/Sup 12X on Friday.

The point is I use my cell phone to help UPS. Texting trough Diad is slow and waiting for an answer can take 20 mins to an hour sometimes. Everyday I use my phone to save time and keep customers happy. I use it so I'm not out there past 8 while my kids are going to bed. So do most others drivers. Some skip lunch until they get back to the hub so they don't have missed business pieces.

Now , the idea of my post was what can I do make a point that enough is enough of the nit picky pointless BS. If all of us at once stopped using our phones how would that effect the company? What if we all called in when we hit a tree branch. Are we being dishonest? Yes, its friviously to call in for a bug. Trees can cause real damage to a paint job. The streaks of lines can be considered property damage, they don't come off in the car wash. I've been in an accident with no damage to either car. I called it in, my manager made me call the police on a 87 years old granny who tapped my rear bumper.He thought she might sue for injuries even though she claimed to be fine. I had to fill out the accident report card in the pouch. I've also seen a car washer fired for moving a plastic trash can with a package car (on purpose). He got his job back right away. Where I work, if you hit something and you don't call it in you risk termination if someone else does for you, damage or not.

Robert

Robert, my friend, I hope you're joking. You use your cell for those instances? My goodnees! Think of the minutes you are wasting for UPS? 20-40 Minutes/month to call ahead for the COD's. At least 30 min/month for bad addresses, and another 30 min/months to check on your pick-ups. This alone accounts for 120 minutes of your plan. Don't forget, a 15 second call to your pick-up counts a full minute! These numbers don't include the time your sup calls you to go help somone and the time it takes him to explain it!

I'm sorry, I'm with Over95 and everyone else, you can't use your phone for UPS business, its what ODS is for. I have 1000 minutes for me and my daughter and I can ill afford to use 25-40% for UPS. Are you kidding me? I will make an exception and use a minute or two with another driver to set up a quick meetpoint.

Other than this I don't want my supervisor calling me, ever. Send me an ODS message and I'll call the center. I also don't want yo be expected to call the center from my cell phone either.

Believe it or not, this was the protocol as little as 5 years ago. Now everyone has everyone's cell number.

That being said, my minutes are limited and I should not be held accountable if I can't call the center from a cell phone. Also, there should never be an instance in which you call a pick-up from your cell phone to ask if they have anything. Its my belief that we are paid by the hour. Why waste valuable cell phone minutes to call a pick-up so you don't have to go by when its our job to go by? Why waste the minutes and the labor time we earn regardless if they have something or not?

Its our job to go by. We get paid good money to go by, so why not just go by?

Next, I would NEVER call the center with bad addresses: need suite, NSN, NSP, need Apt, etc, from my cell. Why wouldn't you use ODS for this?

The UPS opperation lived without cell phones for over 100 years so please don't think you need to use your own for them to function!

over9five

Staff member

Also +1

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Steve, there is more to life than money. I earn enough to provide me with a comfortable lifestyle. I enjoy getting home by 1830 daily. This gives me another 2 hours of daylight to do what I want.

I never said that this is the proper way to work and would never tell another driver that he/she needed to use their cell for work but, yes, it does make my day go faster.

As I said above, I consider my cell phone to be another tool to help me get my job done.

Work smarter, not harder.

BTW, your cover driver comment was out of line, brotha.