Current Flavor of the Month?

just interested

SPORH is an acronym for Stops Per On Road Hour. You divide the total stops by hours worked in a day to arrive at a driver's SPORH.
The number of boxes a driver delivers and picks up factors in heavily whether or not a driver runs "scratch". A driver may have one stop where he picks up 1000 envelopes. This will allow his "route" to "work up" rather easily. So when a driver is running "scratch", he or she is looking good on paper. "Scratch", to my knowledge, is not an acronym. It simply means the driver was sent out with 9 hours of work and it took him exactly 9 hours to complete his work day.

Thanks Whiskey for bringing me up to speed!

browned out

I'm thinking grape might be it this month:happy2:

The new focus is profitability. That means we will need to generate more volume to increase profitability and wiegh our decisions more carefully with profit in mind. Everything else will basically stay the same.

The new focus is profitability. Has UPS ever had a losing quarter?
The more things change the more they stay the same. Profitability is the focus of every business.

bigbrownhen

In my Center, we are being charged with any little safety thing and drivers are being taken out of service for a couple of day as punishment. We have had ten official accidents this year, as opposed to the same number this time last year. I think we are actually driving safer, because last year the minor things like busting a mirror with a tree limb or scrapping a bumper trying to pull out of the building were often not reported. So right now, morale is at an all time low and overtime is up. SPORH has suffered because everybody is being extra careful. We used to have 50% of the drivers run scratch everyday, the other day this was 12%. I have never seen things so bad. We are dispatched with too many stops with routes being cut and the weather is getting miserable with it hitting the 90s and very humid. Doesn't anybody up the management ladder understand what fatigue is?

Charging accidents for broken mirrors and scrapes on trucks is the reason for the number of accidents in your center. Why would anyone in you upper management team want to show those kind of numbers on paper???

No wonder the morale is low. This will do nothing but cost UPS more money in the long run with overtime and most likely more serious accidents due to fatigue and mental distraction.

As for my center, it is over allowed and pick up compliance as well. Telematics is coming our way soon, so it is going to be interesting what they start with there. I'll just do as always I guess, work as directed, and do my best.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That is the most irritating thing when in the middle of a stop, you have to stop and reply. Our flavor appears to be the DOK questions and over allowed.

Big time! Before I went to Feeders, we were able to defer the message one time so you could finish with your customer. It seems that option has been removed.

It shouldn't pop up if you are scanning packages and are setting the DIAD for a signature. If you are doing a multiple left at or are prerecording then the ODS will pop up as soon as you prerecord the active stop.

Like Steve, I also show my customers the ODS messages (I will preview to make sure it is not about me having done something stupid). They are amazed at the technology but also laugh at some of the stupid stuff they send us (BBQ safety?).

Overpaid Union Thug

The pickup compliance deal isn't a flavor of the month anymore. Its seems to be here to stay. Our center percentage is usually high due to so many of our guys stop completing pickups during their pickups windows but not actually at the location of the pickups. You know.....the same guys that run, skip their lunches, DR apartments, sign for customers, etc..

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
The pickup compliance deal isn't a flavor of the month anymore. Its seems to be here to stay. Our center percentage is usually high due to so many of our guys stop completing pickups during their pickups windows but not actually at the location of the pickups. You know.....the same guys that run, skip their lunches, DR apartments, sign for customers, etc..
I was told that stop completing a pick up away from the stop was perfectly okay. This is per my on-road supe. He said as long as go by the stop and make the pick up or attempt that he wanted me to do it this way. Hmmmm, maybe I should get that in writing?

jimstud

Banned
I was told that stop completing a pick up away from the stop was perfectly okay. This is per my on-road supe. He said as long as go by the stop and make the pick up or attempt that he wanted me to do it this way. Hmmmm, maybe I should get that in writing?

i would get that in writing because we were told the exact opposite.

Overpaid Union Thug

HELL NO! Our business agent told me that they were firing people for that. But like anything else it all depends on who you are. If you aren't a driver that messes up their numbers on the spreadsheets then you can get away with it. Anyone else though......I woudn't count on it. And even the hotshot drivers can get burned by this. All it takes is for one customer to complain and for the wrong person farther up the ladder in supervision to find out and thats it....YOU ARE GONE. If a big shot region or district manager just happens to have a hair up his arse that day and sees that on a report then that driver is screwed. Any other day its just another driver getting away with dishonesty because it helps makes his numbers look good.

BrownArmy

Flavor of the month in my center is exception packages and missed scans...they're handing out warning letters left and right when drivers forget to turn in exception packages to the clerk.

Oh, and everything related to safety. Now all the drivers in my center have binders with tiny safety quizzes for each day that we have to fill out before going out on road. One more thing to deal with in the chaos of the morning...

Overpaid Union Thug

Flavor of the month in my center is exception packages and missed scans...they're handing out warning letters left and right when drivers forget to turn in exception packages to the clerk.

Oh, and everything related to safety. Now all the drivers in my center have binders with tiny safety quizzes for each day that we have to fill out before going out on road. One more thing to deal with in the chaos of the morning...

Based on the responses so far it looks like that some time very recently an order was issued from the very top to all centers stating that they were all ordered to find something (anything), or several things, to monitor and to issue as many warning letters as possible. Its kind of strange to me because UPS recently told the press that they will need to hire thousands of drivers in the near future, yet, it seems like they are trying their best to get rid of the ones they already have.

browniehound

I was thinking what the possibility of pushing back would be, in a way that could not get anyone fired.

#1 Don't bring your cell phone to work day (or month). How much harder would it be on management if they could only use the diad to contact you? How much more time wasted sending text messages. How much more time on the clock if you can't call you pickups to see if they have anything?

#2 Calling in (or texting in) everytime you hit something. Meaning any branch or bug you hit is supposed to be called in right? Where I work it's impossible not to hit a tree branch on the side streets in some spots. Make them come out and write an accident report, then refuse to deliver down the same street ever day after or walk the 2 miles to deliver.

Any other ideas?

Robert

Hey Robert,
All due respect but what planet or company do you work for? HA HA. In regards to cell phones, just 5 short years ago nobody in management had mine or most other drivers and communication was strictly through the DIAD. This is the way it should be anyway. Its against company policy to use the cell phone while driving, yet I get at least 2 calls per day from my sup. Why? He knows my job consists of driving most of the time, right? So why would he put me into a position in which I need to use the phone while driving 10 times a week?

I don't answer when he calls and I don't call back on my cell. My cell is for emergencies or if my family needs to contact me on road. Its purpose definitely is not for instructions to be dictacted to me twice a day from my boss. Thats what the DIAD and PCM are for. Send me a message and I'll call you back from my next pick-up.

As for #2 Robert, no, we are not supposed to call in everything we hit. Are you serious? You call the center and tell them you hit an insect with your package car? Tree branches that graze the truck? Good grief, you can't be serious? An accident defined by UPS is "any collision between the UPS truck and another object that results in damage to the UPS vehicle, another vehicle, or property".

Sorry, but hitting an insect doesn't fall under that definition. What do you think, Robert???

tranham

Hey Robert,
All due respect but what planet or company do you work for? HA HA. In regards to cell phones, just 5 short years ago nobody in management had mine or most other drivers and communication was strictly through the DIAD. This is the way it should be anyway. Its against company policy to use the cell phone while driving, yet I get at least 2 calls per day from my sup. Why? He knows my job consists of driving most of the time, right? So why would he put me into a position in which I need to use the phone while driving 10 times a week?

I don't answer when he calls and I don't call back on my cell. My cell is for emergencies or if my family needs to contact me on road. Its purpose definitely is not for instructions to be dictacted to me twice a day from my boss. Thats what the DIAD and PCM are for. Send me a message and I'll call you back from my next pick-up.

As for #2 Robert, no, we are not supposed to call in everything we hit. Are you serious? You call the center and tell them you hit an insect with your package car? Tree branches that graze the truck? Good grief, you can't be serious? An accident defined by UPS is "any collision between the UPS truck and another object that results in damage to the UPS vehicle, another vehicle, or property".

Sorry, but hitting an insect doesn't fall under that definition. What do you think, Robert???

Understood, here is what I have to text or call in for every day

Misloads
Missing packages
Late Packages
Packages that are sheeted NSS,NSP, MOVED,etc
Over 9.5
Accidents/ injuries
Missed pickups
Any infraction of Telematics by myself during the day(bulk head door opened during travel, seat belt came off during travel, etc)

What I use my cell for beyond that is:

Call ahead to COD customers to have a check ready
Call number on a package to locate customer (bad address, etc)
Call pickup to see if they have anything

Then there are the where are you calls from Supervision. Have a misload, coming to get it, etc.
I talked to my center/Sup 12X on Friday.

The point is I use my cell phone to help UPS. Texting trough Diad is slow and waiting for an answer can take 20 mins to an hour sometimes. Everyday I use my phone to save time and keep customers happy. I use it so I'm not out there past 8 while my kids are going to bed. So do most others drivers. Some skip lunch until they get back to the hub so they don't have missed business pieces.

Now , the idea of my post was what can I do make a point that enough is enough of the nit picky pointless BS. If all of us at once stopped using our phones how would that effect the company? What if we all called in when we hit a tree branch. Are we being dishonest? Yes, its friviously to call in for a bug. Trees can cause real damage to a paint job. The streaks of lines can be considered property damage, they don't come off in the car wash. I've been in an accident with no damage to either car. I called it in, my manager made me call the police on a 87 years old granny who tapped my rear bumper.He thought she might sue for injuries even though she claimed to be fine. I had to fill out the accident report card in the pouch. I've also seen a car washer fired for moving a plastic trash can with a package car (on purpose). He got his job back right away. Where I work, if you hit something and you don't call it in you risk termination if someone else does for you, damage or not.

Robert

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
The point is I use my cell phone to help UPS. Texting trough Diad is slow and waiting for an answer can take 20 mins to an hour sometimes. Everyday I use my phone to save time and keep customers happy. I use it so I'm not out there past 8 while my kids are going to bed. So do most others drivers. Some skip lunch until they get back to the hub so they don't have missed business pieces.
I have to take exception to this, Robert. I don't have a cell phone and if I did I wouldn't use it for what you use yours. You, my friend, are what I call a closet runner/gunner. You may not speed here and there and leave your bulkhead door open, but your hurry up attitude about calling COD customers, bad Addresses and such, is NOT what you get paid to do. You get paid to wait for COD's. You also get paid to bring the address corrections to the clerk, for corrections. You are causing yourself to lose money and mgmt is looking at your route thinking that it should be run in so many hours, when in fact you're short changing the true numbers.

So next time you say you speak for "MOST" drivers, don't.

Last edited:

bigblu 2 you

our flavor is bitter brown, center manager/supes follow you and wait till you miss one of the 340 methods<btw i think they abuse many to justify finding fault because their sole purpose in covert observation is to find a failure>then threaten to take you out of service or verbally belittle you,whatever gives them a sense of accomplishment..makes me sad that they use their super powers for evil instead of good.

thessalonian13

YOU ARE NUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!! I only let them know through the diad if I am going to work past 8pm. (Any infraction of Telematics by myself during the day (bulk head door opened during travel, seat belt came off during travel, etc)) YOU ARE FREEKIN MORE NUTS!!!!!! why would you text them if your seat belt came off while you were driving? Let them approach you, and tell them to talk to your shop stewart!!!!!!! Then tell them telematics is wrong and they need to check the system.