DANO we got a problem. U promised

vantexan

The other question is has FedEx thought out the what ifs and if so do they have contingency plans in place to handle such a scenario? Would be surprising that they've never considered the possibility and don't have plans in place to get the freight out.
For example the hub has quite a few managers, many of whom are former ramp agents. Could they appoint someone in each workgroup to make sure the work gets done then scramble the mgrs to the affected areas to take over the operation? As one part of the sort goes down can they send employees over to affected areas? The Memphis Hub is a huge place, a lot of available people. And in ramp operations around the country a lot of the people are part-time students who have no dog in this fight. I doubt people who need their part-time job are going to lay it on the line for FT couriers and CSA's. Think you're going to need to get the 50% of the craft to sign union cards and force a vote in order to have a chance and it doesn't look like the Teamsters think that's possible.

floridays

The other question is has FedEx thought out the what ifs and if so do they have contingency plans in place to handle such a scenario?
They have, and are dealing with it today as we speak. There is no good answer, there is no contingency, hub spoke baby, no hub, wheel don't turn.
They are still underwater, add a parking lot no show, they drown, they drown the employees drown, neither party wants to drown.

floridays

For example the hub has quite a few managers, many of whom are former ramp agents. Could they appoint someone in each workgroup to make sure the work gets done then scramble the mgrs to the affected areas to take over the operation?
The answer is no.
Are the managers that were once ramp agents gonna offload aircraft with a skeleton crew, then process (input) the freight, sort the freight and load the cans do a weight and balance and load the aircraft .
Not possible, if only 30% of skilled labor sits, much less 30% unskilled box throwers.

I think you knew this, I think you are walking me through it to make the point.

vantexan

The answer is no.
Are the managers that were once ramp agents gonna offload aircraft with a skeleton crew, then process (input) the freight, sort the freight and load the cans do a weight and balance and load the aircraft .
Not possible, if only 30% of skilled labor sits, much less 30% unskilled box throwers.

I think you knew this, I think you are walking me through it to make the point.
But you do have to convince a bunch of school students and people working second jobs to stick their necks out to benefit primarily FT couriers. After all what if all that happens is the sort people in hubs and ramps get paid better? What good does that do for couriers? FedEx needs a union. It's the only way to insure negotiating in good faith.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
The other question is has FedEx thought out the what ifs and if so do they have contingency plans in place to handle such a scenario? Would be surprising that they've never considered the possibility and don't have plans in place to get the freight out.
Contingency plans? Doubtful.

FedexGirl

First off, people aren't going to walk off the job. They will instantly be fired for insubordination. People may say they would, but when it came down to the moment to actually walk, they won't. You might get 2-5% that might walk, but not 30% needed to make an impact. Floridays thinks he has the answer to make FedEx fold. They won't fold. They will just tell those people that walked off "you're fired." They won't play games. If you want to walk off, you have to first have a union and then a vote to strike. Doing anything without a union will just get you fired.
100% correct. Bottom line - if you are miserable, quit and find another job. If you are at top pay and heading to retirement, buckle down and be glad you got into the job when you did. Create your own exit strategy.

vantexan

Contingency plans? Doubtful.
I think if a slowdown at a hub or ramp occurs and there aren't any plans in place to deal with such a thing someone in management would get fired. No different than having plans for natural disasters, riots, etc. They have to be prepared. When 9/11 hit and planes were grounded they responded pretty quickly with trucks. The logistics of such things takes planning.

Cactus

I think if a slowdown at a hub or ramp occurs and there aren't any plans in place to deal with such a thing someone in management would get fired. No different than having plans for natural disasters, riots, etc. They have to be prepared. When 9/11 hit and planes were grounded they responded pretty quickly with trucks. The logistics of such things takes planning.
Lets compare apples to apples here.

We're talking FedEx not fire, rescue and emergency agencies. FedEx has always been reactive not proactive. They're too busy talking their numbers and stock options to think about anything else. Besides Fred's thinking is his anti-union kryptonite is safe and secure forever as long as he can satisfy his political allies who made it all possible.

Memphis is just as much prepared for UFO's overtaking their fleet as they are for a major walkout.

vantexan

Lets compare apples to apples here.

We're talking FedEx not fire, rescue and emergency agencies. FedEx has always been reactive not proactive. They're too busy talking their numbers and stock options to think about anything else. Besides Fred's thinking is his anti-union kryptonite is safe and secure forever as long as he can satisfy his political allies who made it all possible.

Memphis is just as much prepared for UFO's overtaking their fleet as they are for a major walkout.
You're letting anger crowd out logic. Even if they didn't have a plan now as soon as they got wind of something they'd be scrambling to counteract it. And I still think anything happening in a hub or ramp operation would be dealt with locally. Wouldn't help couriers. Why would those people go out on a limb for couriers?

MAKAVELI

I know about ramps because I work at one. I know you think people can strong arm the company by threatening to walk unless they get a raise. FedEx will not submit to those kind of tactics. I guarantee you they would fire them on the spot. Besides, like I said, you won't be able to get 30% of the workers to agree to walk.

So how about you prove me and everyone else wrong and have your walk off at your particular ramp and then let us know how that goes for ya. I'll bet you $5 you'll be "pursuing other interests" before the end of your shift. If you're talking about getting 30% to walk off at all the ramps, then you might as well get them to sign a union card to hold an election. That would be more productive.
They don't have to threaten. Just a large percentage has to quit and work for a competitor. It just happened in Indy and Memphis. Now both Hubs have a nice raise.

AB831

FedEx isn't in the business of contingency plans. When Fat Freddy lays out a scheme, it's plan A-Z. Is there a contingency plan for the TNT merger?

vantexan

FedEx isn't in the business of contingency plans. When Fat Freddy lays out a scheme, it's plan A-Z. Is there a contingency plan for the TNT merger?
Apples and oranges. Y'all are letting your hatred for the company obscure the obvious. Any company who's existence depends on meeting the needs of customers while dealing with trying conditions will have planned for every situation that might block them from meeting those needs. Whether that's hurricanes, blizzards, floods, civil unrest, or employee unrest. To not have devised ways to deal with unforeseen circumstances would be gross incompetence in the overnight delivery business.

!Retired!

How long does it take a pilot to time out?
Quoted from the FAA...
"Current FAA regulations for domestic flights generally limit pilots to eight hours of flight time during a 24-hour period. This limit may be extended provided the pilot receives additional rest at the end of the flight. However, a pilot is not allowed to accept, nor is an airline allowed to assign, a flight if the pilot has not has at least eight continuous hours of rest during the 24-hour period."

FedEx has always been reactive not proactive.
Sometimes, but not always

Cactus

You're letting anger crowd out logic.
No I'm not. With the RLA still in place, FedEx will continue to think they will endure no harm.

Even if they didn't have a plan now as soon as they got wind of something they'd be scrambling to counteract it.
Uh, that's what I'm saying. They'd more than likely be caught with their pants down.

And I still think anything happening in a hub or ramp operation would be dealt with locally. Wouldn't help couriers. Why would those people go out on a limb for couriers?
I never said they would. All I said was they have no or very little in the way of contingency plans for a walkout of any great degree. Look at Fred's insistence on extra lean staffing. Where in the hell is he gonna get the extra bodies to get the job done in a timely manner? Have a flash mob job fair on an airport runway?

fedx

Extra Large Package
I don't work at a ramp, I don't work at a hub, I don't deliver boxes, I do know a lot more than you, even more than you think you know.
Your particular ramp could sit on their ass and suck Fedex's biggun if only Memphis and Indy, scratch Indy, not needed, and act like you are heroes.
You have no understanding of the operation and exactly what time means to the operation. Believe @59 Dano if you choose.

Ask him one question, I did, no response.
The question, How long till the flight crew times out?
Another question to ask
What does a two hour sort delay cause.

A larger Question, exactly what happens if sort does not go down for only one day.

He will not answer these questions, he knows the answer, precisely the reason he will not answer them. Fedex loses their leverage, on one sort.

A question for you, you're a ramp rat, what time must your flight or flights block to have a chance for service?

Use your head, think for yourself. Think beyond your own backyard, with out the hub (s) timely meeting if even meeting block in, your backyard has no swingset.

Fedex has hired the mentally deficient or those that don't care for their families best prospects, this perfect time may never present itself again.

@59 Dano , herding cats again, give them a company lie.

So if you don't work at a ramp (which you alluded that you did earlier) and you don't work at a hub, and you don't deliver at all, do you even work at FedEx Express? I know you really, really, really want your idea to work. You said you're smarter than everyone on this board, so your idea has to be pure genius-your idea that 30% of Memphis all holds hands and walks off their job on a particular day. Just like a strike, but without the union protection. Like I said, if you could get 30% willing to walk, then you should be able to get them to sign a union card to hold an election. The day that happens is the day shtf at Express.

floridays

So if you don't work at a ramp (which you alluded that you did earlier) and you don't work at a hub, and you don't deliver at all, do you even work at FedEx Express? I know you really, really, really want your idea to work. You said you're smarter than everyone on this board, so your idea has to be pure genius-your idea that 30% of Memphis all holds hands and walks off their job on a particular day. Just like a strike, but without the union protection. Like I said, if you could get 30% willing to walk, then you should be able to get them to sign a union card to hold an election. The day that happens is the day shtf at Express.
Like I said, Fedex employees are like herding cats, like I said there will be no other union other than the one the most intelligent, as a group deemed necessary to form.

Fedex has many positions that do not require working in a hub, ramp, or station environment, yes I do work for Fedex,

I say 30% of the right people could get it done for the rest of the hourlies, if 30% can't be scraped up, exactly how do you presume to get 51% to sign a card?

I'm not that smart, I just use my head for more than growing hair.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I imagine no scenario, I laid out a blueprint to break Fedex's back to force a vote.

Take a walk to the UPS side of the board, see exactly what power their sups have ,it's not what you wield. I've been on both sides, either you haven't or you are not willing to relay how your hands will be tied, by contract, not whims of HR or directors or operational needs. I have probably circled the block a couple of times before your parents said "It's a boy."

I did not begin at Fedex, I did not crawl back to Fedex.

Now I remember why I put you on ignore the first time. Gibberish.

59 Dano

I know about ramps because I work at one. I know you think people can strong arm the company by threatening to walk unless they get a raise. FedEx will not submit to those kind of tactics. I guarantee you they would fire them on the spot. Besides, like I said, you won't be able to get 30% of the workers to agree to walk.

So how about you prove me and everyone else wrong and have your walk off at your particular ramp and then let us know how that goes for ya. I'll bet you $5 you'll be "pursuing other interests" before the end of your shift. If you're talking about getting 30% to walk off at all the ramps, then you might as well get them to sign a union card to hold an election. That would be more productive.

Better have that five bucks ready - he says he has the blueprint to break FedEx's back!

59 Dano

I don't work at a ramp, I don't work at a hub, I don't deliver boxes, I do know a lot more than you, even more than you think you know.
Your particular ramp could sit on their ass and suck Fedex's biggun if only Memphis and Indy, scratch Indy, not needed, and act like you are heroes.
You have no understanding of the operation and exactly what time means to the operation. Believe @59 Dano if you choose.

Ask him one question, I did, no response.
The question, How long till the flight crew times out?
Another question to ask
What does a two hour sort delay cause.

A larger Question, exactly what happens if sort does not go down for only one day.

He will not answer these questions, he knows the answer, precisely the reason he will not answer them. Fedex loses their leverage, on one sort.

A question for you, you're a ramp rat, what time must your flight or flights block to have a chance for service?

Use your head, think for yourself. Think beyond your own backyard, with out the hub (s) timely meeting if even meeting block in, your backyard has no swingset.

Fedex has hired the mentally deficient or those that don't care for their families best prospects, this perfect time may never present itself again.

@59 Dano , herding cats again, give them a company lie.

Floridays is like the town crackpot who shows up at every city council meeting to accuse the council of all sorts of misdeeds, smother them with silly questions that accomplish nothing more than generating more silly questions, and then thinking he's accomplished something when they finally start ignoring him.