Deferred Delivery Coming

Michael Scott

Any chance this is being done in non rural areas? Ive noticed several times recently where a certain trailer park will have zero deliveries like three days in a row, and then eight the next day. Which is obviously not impossible to have happen, but its happened more than once recently and its extremely odd and not typical.

textat3

Small centers, routes get cut no work to do. Low man gets bumped maybe work Preload ,and then local sort many hours later.pretty crappy.
I feel you…..we all paid our dues though. We don’t get paid to make operational decisions. Just smile, wave and get paid.

textat3

It is absolutely useless to worry or fret about decisions that are made that you have 0 control over. Get on the 9.5 list, demand 8 hours, use 8 hr request, call in for o/70’s or stay off th 9.5 list and let UPS buy you a new 5th wheel, NVDA stock, whatever. Just enjoy life the best you can working here “do you” as the young folks say and let management struggle with the problems caused by corporate decisions. They are compensated well to expect the unexpected.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
It is absolutely useless to worry or fret about decisions that are made that you have 0 control over. Get on the 9.5 list, demand 8 hours, use 8 hr request, call in for o/70’s or stay off th 9.5 list and let UPS buy you a new 5th wheel, NVDA stock, whatever. Just enjoy life the best you can working here “do you” as the young folks say and let management struggle with the problems caused by corporate decisions. They are compensated well to expect the unexpected.
You can’t demand 8 hours many places is the issue.

Here it’s top 90% of the drivers that work Monday are guaranteed 40. That’s our language. They barely run 50% of the drivers on Monday. Drop the 10% and it’s probably right at 50%. Our bottom 50% are basically phuked

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
Let me know how that works out for you.

ARTICLE 37. MANAGEMENT EMPLOYEE RELATIONS

Section 1.

(a) "The parties agree that the principle of a fair day’s work for a fair day’s pay shall be observed at all times and employees shall

perform their duties in a manner that best represents the Employer’s interest.
"

Rookie.... pfft.
Thanks for the input do-nothing steward.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I think this is the beginning of UPS pulling away from the non profitable residential deliveries. “Better Not Bigger “

FromOffTheStreets

I think this is the beginning of UPS pulling away from the non profitable residential deliveries. “Better Not Bigger “
Agreed. In town resis can run 20-30stops/hr. Rural resis are 5-10stops/hr.
They need to charge 4 times more for rurals or they aren't worth taking that work (financially + the beating the trucks take out there).

TheBrownNote

Good thing I wore my brown pants
Problem is gonna be they’re gonna need widely different staffing on wed and Fri compared to tues thurs. Lots of guys not gonna be getting their 40. Can’t bump for 8 if you are told at 8 am you’re laid off for the day.
I assume the cant bump languege is local for you and you have supportive articles to share? Otherwise that sounds like a past practice, and can easily be argued against. Especially at the beginning of a new contract.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I assume the cant bump languege is local for you and you have supportive articles to share? Otherwise that sounds like a past practice, and can easily be argued against. Especially at the beginning of a new contract.
I already said. Top 90% that work Monday are all that are guaranteed 40 hours here.

If you find out you’re not needed at 8 am the only sort to work is the local. Get 4 hours max.

BA basically told the low guys they’ll have decide going into each week if they want to double shift for the whole week for hours or agree to be available to drive for the week which will leave them with no idea how much they’re working for the week.

If I had 10 or less years in and needed a steady paycheck for my family I would absolutely be looking elsewhere.

Thebrownblob

I already said. Top 90% that work Monday are all that are guaranteed 40 hours here.

If you find out you’re not needed at 8 am the only sort to work is the local. Get 4 hours max.

BA basically told the low guys they’ll have decide going into each week if they want to double shift for the whole week for hours or agree to be available to drive for the week which will leave them with no idea how much they’re working for the week.

If I had 10 or less years in and needed a steady paycheck for my family I would absolutely be looking elsewhere.
People quitting might be what they want. I don’t know..

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Small centers, routes get cut no work to do. Low man gets bumped maybe work Preload ,and then local sort many hours later.pretty crappy.
the smaller centers can pretty quickly bump drivers down here I'd imagine, we still have 10 folks with less than a year seniority. So it would more often than not rural drivers, driving larger centers.
Problem is gonna be they’re gonna need widely different staffing on wed and Fri compared to tues thurs. Lots of guys not gonna be getting their 40. Can’t bump for 8 if you are told at 8 am you’re laid off for the day.
They can't do this at least in this area because of a whole slew of contract pieces. Still was scheduled for the day I push a broom for 8. If the kids at the union hall wanted to finally act uncooperatively they would try to require the company to postage stamp every single layoff and recall notice in the mail. I don't believe the intent of layoff was meant to be interweekly.

And now that UPS is a 6 day operation there is significant issue with how layoff language might no longer be week-to-week to protect job opportunities, or how someone on layoff cannot enjoy their "unpaid vacation" due to Saturdays. The last one always trips folks up. I want to work -> as in I want to work on a schedule.

Last edited: