Deferred Delivery Coming

Pullman Brown

There are lots of routes in the Dakotas going out with 40-60 stops, and 250-350 miles. Once in a while, you'll see a route with 30 stops, and 300 miles. Some of them end up 80 or 90 miles from the center at their furthest point. Those routes do nothing but bleed money, and I can see the appeal of dropping service from entire areas twice a week.

But I think there's a few problems that would keep that from being successful: (1) perishable food and medicine, (2) most of those package cars are really small, and can't hold two days worth of volume, (3) you're going to end up with 13 1/2 hour days following the days off.

A better approach would be to cut off specific stops, rather than whole zip codes. There are days that getting rid of four stops can shave off 30 miles. Do that enough places, and three routes traveling in a particular direction become two. But that approach would only work if local supervisors/dispatchers were trusted (and empowered) to do their jobs.

In the year 2075 when drones or whatever is available - you’re location is one of the ground zero testing sites.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
They're giving the unprofitable rural customers to FedEx on a silver platter, to be used against you Teamsters. They're going to make a big deal about customers going to FedEx, cry poor. The speeding up the ground network prior to this, is just convenient plausible deniability.

Might as well face it. UPS management doesn't plan on negotiating, much.

Then that’s on them

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
There are lots of routes in the Dakotas going out with 40-60 stops, and 250-350 miles. Once in a while, you'll see a route with 30 stops, and 300 miles. Some of them end up 80 or 90 miles from the center at their furthest point. Those routes do nothing but bleed money, and I can see the appeal of dropping service from entire areas twice a week.

But I think there's a few problems that would keep that from being successful: (1) perishable food and medicine, (2) most of those package cars are really small, and can't hold two days worth of volume, (3) you're going to end up with 13 1/2 hour days following the days off.

A better approach would be to cut off specific stops, rather than whole zip codes. There are days that getting rid of four stops can shave off 30 miles. Do that enough places, and three routes traveling in a particular direction become two. But that approach would only work if local supervisors/dispatchers were trusted (and empowered) to do their jobs.

That’s how we did it the last time it wasn’t whole zip codes it was just the runners that you had nothing else close by

muthatrucka

I can remember coming back to the center with packages piled high and deep.Taking up 3 parking spaces inside the building.
The "deferred "packages were RD's. We were told to "defer" those up the hollers and and off the beaten path until we got 3-5 stops up that road.
It didn't last long. Maybe a year if I remember right.
We all said we needed to change our name to just United Parcel. Drop the Service.
They called it romote pieces back then if I remember correctly? They would hold them for days.

Hot Carl

I can’t stand the ones who take dead day off during the week and then volunteer for Saturday
I used to so it all the time back when I was getting forced in every Saturday. It was the only way I could work 5 days a week instead of 6. Now that I have enough people under me, I turn them down every time. I'm not :censored2:ing working my day off for straight time.

shane1968

A center in our area was notified yesterday that starting Monday they are implementing a deferred delivery program. Everything is being run by a corporate IE team that showed up one day. Sounds like 20%, or so of the routes are affected and will only go out 3 days per week. Of course these are the routes that have the highest seniority drivers now displaced 2 days per week. There is one center in Washington and one in NY going live on Monday with expansion across the country to follow.

shane1968

A center in our area was notified yesterday that starting Monday they are implementing a deferred delivery program. Everything is being run by a corporate IE team that showed up one day. Sounds like 20%, or so of the routes are affected and will only go out 3 days per week. Of course these are the routes that have the highest seniority drivers now displaced 2 days per week. There is one center in Washington and one in NY going live on Monday with expansion across the country to follow.
I'm a 30 year package driver and today they held my entire route in building as part of rural defferal initiative. I became a cover driver again. Tomorrow they will dispatch me with a 2 day dispatch of my entire route. I do 400 miles a day and around 50 pkgs daily. It's a slap in the face of senior drivers . It's sad the way this company is continuing to treat its lifelong employees.

shane1968

We were told a route with less than 100 pickup pieces could be deferred and pickups not done on those days, our system would update delivery dates
Pick up acciunt representatives have contacted rural shippers and notified them of 3 day pick ups and offered discounts.

shane1968

That's not true. These buildings have never ran at max capacity/ efficiently. The current situation doesn't really work all that well. If just half of the people stopped giving away all of the free time they give. This ship would sink quick.
We had to have 2 covers drivers help all over dispatched driver while cutting 2 drivers routes. Makes sense huh