Deferred Delivery Coming

Thebrownblob

My pkg was deferred just this week. From Sat to Tuesday. Simple e-mail said it was "re-scheduled".....I do live in the "country".
Something very awful happened in the Midwest to loads I don’t know what, it started on Friday then I got a call Saturday that they found 5000 more more packages and trailers. They did not know about, and today it was mystery, volume as well.

pkgdriver

Something very awful happened in the Midwest to loads I don’t know what, it started on Friday then I got a call Saturday that they found 5000 more more packages and trailers. They did not know about, and today it was mystery, volume as well.
Did not know about? Ya don’t say. Well hell lets start the preloads on the other side of it an hour later the next few days.

greivence

A center in our area was notified yesterday that starting Monday they are implementing a deferred delivery program. Everything is being run by a corporate IE team that showed up one day. Sounds like 20%, or so of the routes are affected and will only go out 3 days per week. Of course these are the routes that have the highest seniority drivers now displaced 2 days per week. There is one center in Washington and one in NY going live on Monday with expansion across the country to follow.
A center in our area was notified yesterday that starting Monday they are implementing a deferred delivery program. Everything is being run by a corporate IE team that showed up one day. Sounds like 20%, or so of the routes are affected and will only go out 3 days per week. Of course these are the routes that have the highest seniority drivers now displaced 2 days per week. There is one center in Washington and one in NY going live on Monday with expansion across the country to follow.
so this reminds of the service they tried back 20 years ago or so called ---RA--- remote area that did not last very long with customers having a fit--so that didnt work can't see how this is going to work either --just another way to piss off the customers and the drivers----

greivence

so what about the guaranteed time in transit service -- for ground or is that gone out the door also--the next thing ups will want the customers to get there dels only by next day ---very sneaky on ups part ----

Thebrownblob

so what about the guaranteed time in transit service -- for ground or is that gone out the door also--the next thing ups will want the customers to get there dels only by next day ---very sneaky on ups part ----
I’m not sure if it ever returned or not after the pandemic.

vvv

I can believe it.
This whole thing: overdispatching high seniority, cutting off dead days, underdispatching low drivers and laying them off. Makes no sense from a labor cost perspective UNLESS you are banking on people quitting the job, "early retirement" or otherwise.

I'd disagree about it being to replace older folks though, it's more likely just a primal attempt to meet some # before the next quarter.
Funny stuff. :)

They said my dead days were going bye bye a couple months ago. I worked two days and they came to their senses and back to getting days off I went.

They'll be digging their own grave well before I dig my own trying to pull the over dispatch routine.
I can confirm this is happening. I am a UPS customer and we started getting missed pickups. They told us we were on Rural Deferred Delivery. No warning. We pay every week for daily pickup.
And deep down, how does this make you feel? :)

allahuakbar

She/Her
This is why they don’t want pick up pieces scanned anymore. It’s actually smart biz. Who cares about some dope in North Dakota getting their packages.

greivence

I am sure this could be a topic of conversation at the next union meeting on the 23 of April ---it will be interesting what is going to be said by the union

RUDoneYet

We were doing this for Amazon a few years back, but in a different way. We would look at every residential Amazon delivery and then determine if UPS was going to be going to the consignee any time in the next 2 or 3 days. Let's say Joe ordered a tool from Harbor Freight and we were delivering that package to Joe's house on Thursday. If Amazon had a package for Joe that would originally get there on Wednesday, UPS would hold that Amazon package until Thursday since we we're going there anyhow, and Amazon would get a rate reduction for allowing us to consolidate that delivery. It may still in effect, haven't been with that side of the business in quite a few years.

KearsargeCoop

Baseball, dart board
We were doing this for Amazon a few years back, but in a different way. We would look at every residential Amazon delivery and then determine if UPS was going to be going to the consignee any time in the next 2 or 3 days. Let's say Joe ordered a tool from Harbor Freight and we were delivering that package to Joe's house on Thursday. If Amazon had a package for Joe that would originally get there on Wednesday, UPS would hold that Amazon package until Thursday since we we're going there anyhow, and Amazon would get a rate reduction for allowing us to consolidate that delivery. It may still in effect, haven't been with that side of the business in quite a few years.
We still do this at our center. Not just Amazon, anything really. We always have a large stack of "Deliver Tomorrow's" after the sort.

Babboo77

Banned
I'm a 30 year package driver and today they held my entire route in building as part of rural defferal initiative. I became a cover driver again. Tomorrow they will dispatch me with a 2 day dispatch of my entire route. I do 400 miles a day and around 50 pkgs daily. It's a slap in the face of senior drivers . It's sad the way this company is continuing to treat its lifelong employees.
you really average delivering 50 packages a day?

Drink Craft Beer

We get those Tuesday-Friday with a couple stragglers on Saturday. Been doing that on the pre-load for quite some time.

The worst thing is, when you get like Omaha Steaks or medication that needs to be frozen/refrigerated asap. There's no way for us to get into the system to override the DELV label. It won't scan to the address till the next day.

One girl told me she said something to the center manager about the situation and was told that "it'll get refrigerated.... when we deliver it tomorrow.

We get those Tuesday-Friday with a couple stragglers on Saturday. Been doing that on the pre-load for quite some time.

The worst thing is, when you get like Omaha Steaks or medication that needs to be frozen/refrigerated asap. There's no way for us to get into the system to override the DELV label. It won't scan to the address till the next day.

One girl told me she said something to the center manager about the situation and was told that "it'll get refrigerated.... when we deliver it tomorrow.
That's sad.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Fight fire with fire my friend.

Would you really want to be managing and dealing with a 30+ year veteran (assuming he has some nuts) being displaced periodically off his normal route and going out blind?
I'd wet the bed on them so bad if I were in that position that they'd be rethinking that move quickly.

See how fast everyone, whether you or others goes on the defensive and worries about the company and being "forced out".
Hell with that brother, you flip the script fast and think in a different way and make them worry about you and PAY for their poor decision making and have them looking like damn fools.
Oh yeah, :censored2: that going out blind crap. It’s been tried, and failed. The last time it happened I ran the route like I was dragging an anchor. That was enough for them.

KearsargeCoop

Baseball, dart board

We are fortunate enough to still have driver sort and load so we will grab those refrigerated boxes. I notice quite a few QVC 2nd day airs like that.