Delivery driver interview tomorrow! what should I expect?

KoennenTiger

I'm good with a manual, do you know if Rochester NY drivers go to inter grad?

Oh thank God. I remember when they brought me in for my driving run during the go fsp process. Basically just drive around in a manual p12 and show you can drive safely, plus back a huge truck. In the waiting area there was this guy who was freaking out. He wanted us to teach him how to drive a manual in those few minutes lol

Whither

Scofflaw
In my case it was a standard, relaxed interview. I'm also coming from Amazon, halfway through the training packet right now and things are going smoothly.

You should bring up your experience in package delivery. Not in the 'know it all' manner but to assure HR that you have a good idea what you're signing up for and are capable of doing the job. Be enthusiastic, tell them you're looking for a career and not just another job. I even talked a little s on Amazon during my interview, e.g., the unsafe driving, careless package handling, drivers storing envelopes on the dash, etc.

Expect the process to take some time (background check, DOT physical, and you might have to upgrade your license to a non-CDL commercial license) and try not to give notice until you've passed your road test and have a firm date for your in-class training. Try to save some $ in case UPS drags out your training. And don't just study the 5 seeing habits and 10 point commentary, the 5 rules re: backing, 8 keys to lifting and lowering, 5 keys to avoiding slips and falls, make sure to use these on your Amazon routes so you come prepared.

If you're doing well at Amazon, drive safely, work smart and respect the limits of your strength, you'll learn the ropes at UPS. Good luck!

In my case it was a standard, relaxed interview. I'm also coming from Amazon, halfway through the training packet right now and things are going smoothly.

You should bring up your experience in package delivery. Not in the 'know it all' manner but to assure HR that you have a good idea what you're signing up for and are capable of doing the job. Be enthusiastic, tell them you're looking for a career and not just another job. I even talked a little s on Amazon during my interview, e.g., the unsafe driving, careless package handling, drivers storing envelopes on the dash, etc.

Expect the process to take some time (background check, DOT physical, and you might have to upgrade your license to a non-CDL commercial license) and try not to give notice until you've passed your road test and have a firm date for your in-class training. Try to save some $ in case UPS drags out your training. And don't just study the 5 seeing habits and 10 point commentary, the 5 rules re: backing, 8 keys to lifting and lowering, 5 keys to avoiding slips and falls, make sure to use these on your Amazon routes so you come prepared.

If you're doing well at Amazon, drive safely, work smart and respect the limits of your strength, you'll learn the ropes at UPS. Good luck!
Absolutely! Luckily I'm in good standings with my company so I can roll with a flexible schedule until ups really takes off for me.

JustDeliverIt

I'm good with a manual, do you know if Rochester NY drivers go to inter grad?

Any driver can go to inter grad. I work out of the Buffalo hub. I've seen drivers come in from Rochester as well as the southtowns to have your week long training at our building, just depends on if they're having a class at our hub.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
When you go for your second interview, pay close attention. Watch the interviewer's mouth very closely. If their lips are moving, it's more than likely a lie, just like the rest of the management in this company.

barnyard

KTM rider
I am surprised you were interviewed. I had heard that UPS would not interview FE ground or Amazon drivers as both had too many bad habits to break.

JustDeliverIt

I am surprised you were interviewed. I had heard that UPS would not interview FE ground or Amazon drivers as both had too many bad habits to break.

I think they are to the point of hiring anyone and see if they can work with them. I'm sure I'm not in the only area of the country that needs more drivers badly. At some point they are going to have to give every applicant at least a shot and hope some stick.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Title really says it all. Is there anything I should know/expect for my first interview at the Henrietta NY location? I've been a courier for about a year, at a Amazon sub contractor averaging 140 to 180 stops per day, working 4-5 ten hour days a week. I think I have what it takes to join the big leagues. Any insight is welcome!
I thought Amazon was the big league's? You are a self employed entrepreneur!

1stgear

Expect this to be on your car. Last stop of the day, going to the 3rd floor. 95 degrees. Enjoy!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    391.7 KB · Views: 197