dhl isnt doing too well

brett636

over9five said:
I had a large account switch to DHL. They came back to us 6 weeks later because of DHLs poor service. Inbound international multiples would dribble in over several days.
DHL was going to save them a lot of money (over us), but their service sucked.

As goes the saying you get what you pay for. DHL just had a press release not too long ago saying they don't expect to see a profit all the way through 2007. This not to long after they said to expect a profit in the 4th quarter of this year. Their parent company is done dumping money into them, and it appears their growth is flat. Is this the beginning of the end for DHL? Does anyone know if Airborne Express was turning a profit before DHL bought them out?

true_1_ace

well all i know is a customer of mine called DHL for a fc pkg and I got the call to pick it up from there brok company who apparently has an acc with UPS,I also have heard many customers say that after 3 oclock they can't get a DHL pu because ther is no driver in the area,and for FEDEX they provide a good service but treat their employes like crap ie : revolked their medical plan etc...only time will tell.. but no matter what the drivers are the ones to take the fall:confused:1

Coldworld

60 months and counting
ACE...DHL SUCKS THEY CANT BEAT OUR SERVICE...PERIOD. I am working on getting 2 accounts to switch all their volume from 2/3 ups 1/3 dhl to 100% ups. And yes monte fedex does not pick up 1 single package from either of these accounts, why, because the shipping mgr says that "fedex sucks" hey...at least I told them that I thought fedex was better than dhl. I will be getting all of this volume, on both accounts I have been told this by both companies, but they have to go through all of the hoopla. sorry dhl. Its pretty sad when the shipping guys tell me all of the funny bull**** that happens to the dhl guy when hes there for pickup. Nobody, not even the 25 year old shipping clerk has any respect for dhl, so how is the fortune 500 ceo. It all starts from the bottom up.

W

wyemma

reply to true 1 ace. My brother works for Fedex and they have excellent medical, dental and vision. My brothers wife was hospitalized for ten days, the room alone cost $13,000 dollars. Insurance paid all but $86.00. Please don't talk about stuff you don't know about.

mittam

I don't care what Fed ex or Dhl are doing. I just go to work everyday do my thing and go home. I found out we got a pick up account back from Dhl on my route yeppy
we get stuff back from dhl all the time, we lose it a few months and they come back usually agreeing to a higher cost to have our service they can't afford all the claims against dhl, this has been several accounts in our building

705red

Browncafe Steward
What do you expect, The dhl driver is a glorified soccer mom. How much can they really fit into their minivan? Have you ever seen there preload? They flip on the industrial fan and all the envelopes get blown into the MINIVAN.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
Yup...have'nt seen a straight truck for DHL on my route, only those sprinter vans. What happens when they get a bulk pick up?? Do they send a fleet of vans to that location? They have more inbound than outbound thats for sure!

Pip

I'm far from being an expert on DHL, but isn't DHL's bread and butter operations in Europe. Is this correct? While in the past they have bought into the US market to expand/compliment their base operations. Any of this correct or am I way out in left field without a compass. Been hearing rumors that their North American operations hasn't been doing too well, at least not like in Europe.

Was getting educated one day by a DHL driver who was telling me this, oh say 3 or 4 years ago. Things could have very well changed since then.

Sammie

I'm far from being an expert on DHL, but isn't DHL's bread and butter operations in Europe. Is this correct? While in the past they have bought into the US market to expand/compliment their base operations. Any of this correct or am I way out in left field without a compass. Been hearing rumors that their North American operations hasn't been doing too well, at least not like in Europe.

Was getting educated one day by a DHL driver who was telling me this, oh say 3 or 4 years ago. Things could have very well changed since then.

Everybody wants a piece of the pie and I'm sure DHL is doing all it can to attain that.

DHL's American Adventure

Plus, I don't know about all of your parts of the country, but here in the Rocky Mountain District a lot of our volume has always gone long distance by rail. And for some reason, the rail hasn't been providing acceptable time and transit for us so we've pulled much of that volume back in. This has created a slew of new feeder runs and I hope we do well with all this new volume so we can keep it!!

edd_tv

Cardboard picker upper
ive heard the same about the railroad and time. heard that they were too slow for what ups wanted. bring it back in house. more feeder runs=more full time jobs

Cole

hate to tell you but the kinks with EDD are not close to being worked out, and we've had it for quite awhile.

Well management personally lost Washington Mutual which was a huge account. Totally pathetic imho. We do things so generically.

LeftCoaster

TheLeftCoaster
retiredone has made a good point on the number of drivers our competion now has on the street.

FedEx Ground is really RPS and every package they pick up should have a UPS Teamster handling it - this upsets me.

DHL has had many challenges, but they are getting better all the time -- DHL has deep pockets and have worked to develop a structure that is very similar to UPS...

Volume is shifting between the UPS, FDX and DHL daily.
UPS market share is not growing.
FDX is aggressively expanding facilities and infrastructure.
DHL is aggressively building their team at the expense of the established industry players.

UPS needs to grow and the economy is not looking too good right now. That means that growth must come at the expense of our competion.

I believe that UPS has the best team in the transportation industry (from PT inside workers to Staff, Drivers, Pilots etc...).
Ego's must be left at the guard shack (sometimes tough for management) so we can take care of business.

We have to grow and we need everyones help.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
left, true. Ups needs to be more competitive with some accounts. Yes.... they can be even with the higher price per piece. Fedex ground is being sued in many courts across the country....this hasnt been posted for quite a while, many states are looking into this. Fedex cant hold this off forever. Yes dhl is here. ummmmm, they have been in the us market for a long time, why does everybody think they are new? Some of them are TEAMSTERS, ACTUALLY MANY ARE. The biggest thing that I see is ups cutting our own necks. Let me give you a couple of examples. A company that uses fedex ground and air. We have been trying to get into the door to get their volume. Sales rep has no luck. Driver finally gets talking and knows fedex picks up early and says that they can have a early del, later pickup...Great says customer and swithes almost all volume. 1 month later a onroad sup changes route detail or wants that company picked up earlier to squeeze a couple more pickups on this driver because they have to cut out a route for awhile. Well, customer gets pissed and you know what happens.....yep back with fedex. So all that work, all that REVENUE to cut out a route for two weeks. Now that company will probable NEVER come back. If they did have a problem with fedex, they would probably go to dhl or usps. Ok second example. Guy does ebay out of his house. Uses us for heavy stuff, usps for most other pkgs, flat rate 10 dollar boxes. We want All the volume, so does customer, so he doesnt have to go to post office. We have sales guy from back east call him(customer on west coast )says he'll have someone get out there to measure boxes, weights etc. This customer is great, he actually sends the rep all of the dimensions, weights etc, which he didnt have to do. This seems like a EASY sale. This guy hauls 40 plus in his truck to post office a day. Well sales rep didnt call him back like he said he was going to. Ups reps starting to become unreliable especially when they are calling from other areas in usa. Finally he said we cant beat flat rate boxes especially since he is located in somewhat rural area, but not in BFE. Also since most are going to houses, thats an issue. Not enough density. Well how are we ever going to get density when we dont pickup 40 boxes a day, ups already there daily to pick large ones anyway. It would take 5 minutes to load up a handtruck and throw them in the truck. I know ups could have given him a close price to usps, and this account business is GROWING. So, these are just two real examples out of the thousands that happen at ups. How much volume are we loosing just from our own mistakes and not even competition. Ups can be competitive in pricing, Ive seen it before. They can be the cheapest to some accounts, ive seen that before.Im sure every driver has stories about lost accounts that were the fault of ups, not of undercut prices by competition. Ups reps really turn off potential customers with their laptops and ALL OF THE QUESTIONS ON VOLUME FIGURES ETC. They really need to get back to where the driver would go into a business with the business rep and sales rep to talk to customers. This is huge in the eyes of the customer. But ups is too concerned about PRODUCTION. This is the only thing they are concerned about. If ups would get drivers together for a type of "brainstorm" session on how to grow the business, they might be shocked on what they would find. UPS still has a huge advantage with their drivers and fairly reliable delivery and pickup times, especially in rural areas. There was some place back east where ups was gaining volume in air from getting started earlier in the day before fedex and customers were liking that. I wonder if that is still happening. It is a great idea. It is thinking outside the box, which ups doesnt do too well. I wonder if they are still doing it or stopped because drivers were starting 10 minutes too early...hmmm. Ups seems to start out things with good intentions, but then some absolute dumb shlt screws it up.Like I said before, cutting our own neck!:death: :death: :death: :death:

SmithBarney

... What happens when they get a bulk pick up?? Do they send a fleet of vans to that location?

Yes... infact they do, we(fedex express) have a huge express account here in town
about 300-600 pieces/day (not envelopes either, dry ice etc..) DHL comes in with
3-4 drivers to pick up 25-30 pieces.. and they all look like they just walked out
of highschool, nose rings, beatup old white hightop sneakers...etc... but it takes 3 of them
to do the job... but hey they have cool green laser scanners that make neat music :)

browned_out

:confused:1 I can't agree more with the importance of getting out of the building earlier. I remember when I started in "89" start times were 8:00/8:10, then they were bumped to 8:15/8:25, before I transferred from this center the start time was 8:45/9:00. Now in my new center the start time went from 9:00 to 9:25, it sucks when you are driving to work and you see fedex and dhl trucks already out delivering. This is a major point with alot of customers, they want there stuff earlier so they can turn around and send it back out. As far as pas I am always being asked at the end of the day to deliver 2/3 pkgs on my way home because they were misload onto the wrong truck and brought in.

hdkappler

:)ups should of bought out dhl when they merged with airborne.they could of made it an int'land air div.they would only be concerned about fedx and postoffice.:thumbup1:

brownrodster

:confused:1 I can't agree more with the importance of getting out of the building earlier. I remember when I started in "89" start times were 8:00/8:10, then they were bumped to 8:15/8:25, before I transferred from this center the start time was 8:45/9:00. Now in my new center the start time went from 9:00 to 9:25, it sucks when you are driving to work and you see fedex and dhl trucks already out delivering. This is a major point with alot of customers, they want there stuff earlier so they can turn around and send it back out. As far as pas I am always being asked at the end of the day to deliver 2/3 pkgs on my way home because they were misload onto the wrong truck and brought in.

can't agree more about the start time. I guess it's a good sign though. I rarely leave the building before 900. Our start times are later and later because of the more volume we recieve (at least in my center). I guess fedex and dhl doesn't have that problem. we do 3-4 times the volume my center was built for. I won't see an 800 start time until the center I work in is replaced which probably won't be for a long ass time.