DIAD V camera.

BrownTexas

I am surprised that they cost that much. What really got me was the PCM we had about not leaving our diads in the truck while on lunch hour. It seems management is concerned about the diads being exposed to excessive heat, and being damaged from it. I find this insulting, as they clearly do not care about humans being exposed to excessive heat. I make sure my Diad stays in the car every time now.

Sent using BrownCafe App
They just want to make sure the diad is with you so they can message you during lunch. If that diad can't stand the heat, neither can I.

The Driver

I drive.
I am surprised that they cost that much. What really got me was the PCM we had about not leaving our diads in the truck while on lunch hour. It seems management is concerned about the diads being exposed to excessive heat, and being damaged from it. I find this insulting, as they clearly do not care about humans being exposed to excessive heat. I make sure my Diad stays in the car every time now.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Betcha they're concerned about theft rather than heat.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll

The training didn't say to bring in any expensive packages. So, if you lock it in the back of the truck it will be fine. My lunch hour is my hour where NOBODY from work will be able to reach me. No Diad, No phone, No carrier pigeons.

Foamer Pyle

I would agree with you, but they said they didn't want it left in the package area. I guess I wasn't very clear when I said left in package car. I put everything in the back when I go on lunch, radio, Diad, and any other personal stuff.

Sent using BrownCafe App

JL 0513

Yeah right. More like 400-800 dollars.

Yes, $6,800 seems unbelievable but that's what our center manager told us when they arrived. Not sure why he would make up "$6800". It does have to do with specialized software and relatively low volume at which these are made. They aren't being sold in the millions like other electronics.

$400? You're kidding right? Cell phones retail for $600 (subsidized down to $200 for contracts) and they sell in the 10's of millions.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown

Sent using BrownCafe App
My diad resides in the 100+ degree heat of the cargo area on my lunch hour. I'm not taking it with me and I'm not going to be responsible for it.

Sent using BrownCafe App

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My diad resides in the 100+ degree heat of the cargo area on my lunch hour. I'm not taking it with me and I'm not going to be responsible for it.

Sent using BrownCafe App

You are responsible for the DIAD from the time you pull it out of the rack to the time you put it back.

Would you leave your iPhone in the cargo area in the middle of summer?

Resident know-it-all.

By The Book

The camera indeed works, and is always on... So they can secretly spy on you, they just dont tell you... :-/
I put a bandaid over the camera on the back up monitor if that's what your talking about. I felt creeped out every time I would pick my nose or cuss out ups.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

Resident know-it-all.

Yes, I would. Once the iPhone (and I would assume any smartphone) reaches a certain temperature it shuts itself down.

Mine shuts down all the time when I leave it in the sun on my deck.

over9five

Staff member
I would argue that if you are FORCED to carry your DIAD while on lunch, then you are not "wholly relieved of duty" per FMSCA and should be paid for your lunch.

Nitpicking? Maybe, but I wouldn't be carrying the damn thing around on my lunch hour.

Foamer Pyle

You are responsible for the DIAD from the time you pull it out of the rack to the time you put it back.

Resident know-it-all.
I leave my iPhone in the back all day long, in a bag I bring. Management does not care about humans, only their property.

Sent using BrownCafe App

S

selfcancelsignal

All I know is you better be able to scan any parcel & have the address come up immediately if running a misload, early AM, add cut, or Saturday delivery etc. with the DIAD 6!

Sent while driving from my flip phone via T9 word.

Raw

Raw Member

Sent using BrownCafe App
True! I am literally in heat stroke prevention mode until 4pm when temperature outside starts to drop a bit! Still I am forced to work past 8pm twice a week! Thank God for 9.5 list.

browniehound

The camera doesn't even seem accessible. I forget it even has one.

DIAD 6? That'll be a while. We just got the 5's last year and they're $6,800 each.
DIAD 5 does NOT cost $6,800. Who the hell told you THAT? Google "hand held pda's" and you we see an almost exa
The camera doesn't even seem accessible. I forget it even has one.

DIAD 6? That'll be a while. We just got the 5's last year and they're $6,800 each.
Who the hell told you DIAD 5 cost 7 grand? Google "hand held pdas" and you will see a picture of a device that is almost identical to DIAD 5 selling for $1,200. Would you pay $6,800 for a portable computer? If you would, I have some swamp land in Florida you might be interested in. You can't build on it now, but future technology will allow you to and this land is going to be worth 10 times as much in 5 years.

$6,800 for a DIAD? Seriously, don't believe another word your manager tells you. He's lying to you and is lying to you about more than this I would think.

oldngray

nowhere special
All previous DIADs cost in the $1000-1400 range and the costs may have dropped later in production. $6800 doesn't sound reasonable to me.