DIAD V camera.

Socrates

The Diad V is NOT $6800. It is an off the shelf Honeywell unit which UPS buys, slaps its logo and software on, and there you go.

About 2 months after the roll out in my center, I lost one. While it was missing I was told that if I didn't find it I would be on the hook for $2400. Still not cheap, but certainly not 7 grand.

Yup, similar to this one, which retails for about $2200:

https://www.honeywellaidc.com/en-US...-held-mobile-computer&cat=HSM&pid=Dolphin99GX

Shell different, layout different, etc, but it's most of the same programming, circuits, etc. When it boots up, it's full-color Windows Mobile, but then boots into UPS's :censored2:ty archaic black-and-white software.

Hand Held Products was pushing for years to win the UPS/DIAD contract, but they weren't big enough. Once Honeywell bought HHP....it was on.

Last edited:

Socrates

All I know is you better be able to scan any parcel & have the address come up immediately if running a misload, early AM, add cut, or Saturday delivery etc. with the DIAD 6!
That's a software issue, not the DIAD. DIAD5 is almost 100% backwards-compatible with DIAD4, minus the limited touch screen functions and such. DIAD5 has more than enough room to download every route in the building, but DIAD4 doesn't.

Once we ditch the DIAD4s for Peak, and have all-5 buildings, you might see a new software roll out - one that can actually do GPS maps, take pictures, store phone numbers, allow drivers to add notes on their own, etc etc. Right now, DIAD4 is handicapping us and it's really a shame. We haven't seen 20% of what the DIAD5 is capable of. We don't need 6's for a long time.

JL 0513

Considering the 4 went from 2004 to 2013 with them still in service for peak, we won't see DIAD 6 for quite a while. Not even worth talking about yet.

S

selfcancelsignal

That's a software issue, not the DIAD. DIAD5 is almost 100% backwards-compatible with DIAD4, minus the limited touch screen functions and such. DIAD5 has more than enough room to download every route in the building, but DIAD4 doesn't.

Once we ditch the DIAD4s for Peak, and have all-5 buildings, you might see a new software roll out - one that can actually do GPS maps, take pictures, store phone numbers, allow drivers to add notes on their own, etc etc. Right now, DIAD4 is handicapping us and it's really a shame. We haven't seen 20% of what the DIAD5 is capable of. We don't need 6's for a long time.
Interesting. Thanks for this info.

Sent while driving from my flip phone via T9 word.

Anthonysg0113

Look for management layoffs right before the announcement of the VI like they did with the DIAD V.
They can lose as many useless part time sups as possible. Every day it's like the not enough braves and too many chiefs issue. Even the dispatch sup is useless to me. It's just the fact that the guy doing it will be the most hated person in the building.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

They can lose as many useless part time sups as possible. Every day it's like the not enough braves and too many chiefs issue. Even the dispatch sup is useless to me. It's just the fact that the guy doing it will be the most hated person in the building.

Dispatch will eventually be done from a centralized location.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
People have been saying that on here for years but the bottom line is that even if they try it, the dispatch still has to be adjusted for things like 9.5 list, 8 hour requests, etc so if they removed all the PDMs the CMs and on-cars would still have to shuffle work locally.

Anthonysg0113

Well, much like the 40 yr old 800's they keep around for peak, a bunch of the Diad IV's will be around for years to come. And that sucks because if they run out of the 5's they give you a 4 and you have to figure out how to use it all over again.

Anthonysg0113

Yes, $6,800 seems unbelievable but that's what our center manager told us when they arrived. Not sure why he would make up "$6800". It does have to do with specialized software and relatively low volume at which these are made. They aren't being sold in the millions like other electronics.

$400? You're kidding right? Cell phones retail for $600 (subsidized down to $200 for contracts) and they sell in the 10's of millions.
Just like everything else UPS uses, it's under a contract with another company. They negotiated a price with them(inflated), and went with it. I mean in our center they bring in someone from Louisville(an hour and a half away) to change light bulbs.

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

Just like everything else UPS uses, it's under a contract with another company. They negotiated a price with them(inflated), and went with it. I mean in our center they bring in someone from Louisville(an hour and a half away) to change light bulbs.
$981 is what the diad cost ups tried to get a driver to pay for the one he damaged here

idrivethetruck

Slow & steady wins the race.
Well, much like the 40 yr old 800's they keep around for peak, a bunch of the Diad IV's will be around for years to come. And that sucks because if they run out of the 5's they give you a 4 and you have to figure out how to use it all over again.
I was told the 4 doesn't work with Orion. I hope this means I never have to touch a diad 4 again now that we're on Orion.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1436069004.163408.jpg

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I don't see it anytime soon. There's too many variables involved. We have guys who go out with 8 hour dispatches who can barely do it in 10, and guys who go out with 12 hour dispatches who do it in 9. Plus local knowledge helps.
I was told the 4 doesn't work with Orion. I hope this means I never have to touch a diad 4 again now that we're on Orion.
Our satellite drivers still use 4s and we have been an Orion center for a couple months.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I got a brand new DIAD5 last Monday, I didn't drop it once all week! The strap came unhooked right away. There is no way these things costs thousands of dollars apiece. Fedex has been using an almost exact model before we first got them, they are not unique to UPS anymore like the earlier versions.

clean hairy

I am surprised that they cost that much. What really got me was the PCM we had about not leaving our diads in the truck while on lunch hour. It seems management is concerned about the diads being exposed to excessive heat, and being damaged from it. I find this insulting, as they clearly do not care about humans being exposed to excessive heat. I make sure my Diad stays in the car every time now.

Sent using BrownCafe App
That makes no sense.
The electronc stuff being delivered to Customers can stand the heat of being in the truck all day, but their high $$ diad cannot stand up to 1 hr in the back without being damaged from the heat?
Yeah, right!

By The Book

I am surprised that they cost that much. What really got me was the PCM we had about not leaving our diads in the truck while on lunch hour. It seems management is concerned about the diads being exposed to excessive heat, and being damaged from it. I find this insulting, as they clearly do not care about humans being exposed to excessive heat. I make sure my Diad stays in the car every time now.

Sent using BrownCafe App
I agree,....UPS always has had their priorities straight.

idrivethetruck

Slow & steady wins the race.
That makes no sense.
The electronc stuff being delivered to Customers can stand the heat of being in the truck all day, but their high $$ diad cannot stand up to 1 hr in the back without being damaged from the heat?
Yeah, right!
I don't think the diad itself has an issue with heat, it's the battery that suffers. Excessive heat kills a battery's life.