Discharge for being late

peanutbuttermm

So at my center recently they have been handing out discharges and suspensions like Halloween candy to...just about everybody. I recently received a discharge for late occurances. What is the probability anything will come of this? I've gotten discharged for misloads before where during the meeting they basically turned it into a talk with

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
So at my center recently they have been handing out discharges and suspensions like Halloween candy to...just about everybody. I recently received a discharge for late occurances. What is the probability anything will come of this? I've gotten discharged for misloads before where during the meeting they basically turned it into a talk with
Fired for a single lateness?? Unless you are a new hire....

BS....BS....BS....:bsbullf:

Attendance problems fall under progressive discipline. You cannot be suspended or fired for being late once or twice.

Even if they look back and determine....well for the year this far, you were late 40 times, and you were never disciplined for any of them....they would still have to start with a warning letter.

Faceplanted

It's incredible what ups does to people who don't know their rights. You got discharged because you probably don't file and don't know your rights. You will probably go to a meeting with hr, your center manager, and your business agent and get offered your job back with time served. Sounds like a good deal, but if they didn't follow the proper progressive discipline stay out of work, go to panel, and enjoy your back pay check. It took me a good 5 years of driving to stand up for my self. I'm sure you could file many greviences for discrimination and harassment as I'm sure others have been doing the same and getting a slap on the wrist cause they are ass kissers.

From now on every time u get discipline and you know others who do the same don't file file file. I keep my eyes and ears open and out center is pretty good at looking out for each other when it comes to one person getting off and the other getting discipline. We had a center manager who had a hard on for anybody who stood up for them selves and didn't let them belittle them. He would attempt to fire them and we would all let them know how we got off with the same thing without even a verbal warning. The center manager is no longer with us, thanks to attorney threats after our union didn't really look into the mess as everybody would get their job back. After after weeks or months off without back pay. Hard to chance panel when u live check to check and just want to get back to work to feed the family

Every center has a few drivers who have been targets and been through all u been through. Honestly their advice is more valuable than a shop Stewart. Befriend them and learn all u can.

Last edited:

Cementups

Box Monkey
I find it more amazing that someone can't show up on time for work. Granted I have been guilty of being late a few times myself but I also let them know ahead of time that I am going to be late. If you are scheduled to start at 5 p.m. then you show up 5-10 minutes prior to start time an be ready to start working at 5 p.m. You don't show up at 5 p.m. and still need to prep for your work day and then not starting until 5:05-10.

If you're not early, you're late.

Last edited:

PT Crazy

The contract/UPS does not have an attendance policy. However, the union will only fight for your right to work. Not for your right NOT to work. It is a job....show up for it. You get paid days off why do you need more. Plan ahead and get to work on time.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
No BS. I once worked the preload. (4 am shift back them) with a guy who didn't show till about 7 am ( black guy). He had warning after warning. It didn't matter. Like clockwork he was at least an hour late. Finally he ended up resigning ..... I'm telling you. You can't get fired for being late. It's past practice in your building , I guarantee it.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
The contract/UPS does not have an attendance policy. However, the union will only fight for your right to work. Not for your right NOT to work. It is a job....show up for it. You get paid days off why do you need more. Plan ahead and get to work on time.

That's not entirely true

Article 64 Southern Supplement

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
It's incredible what ups does to people who don't know their rights. You got discharged because you probably don't file and don't know your rights. You will probably go to a meeting with hr, your center manager, and your business agent and get offered your job back with time served. Sounds like a good deal, but if they didn't follow the proper progressive discipline stay out of work, go to panel, and enjoy your back pay check. It took me a good 5 years of driving to stand up for my self. I'm sure you could file many greviences for discrimination and harassment as I'm sure others have been doing the same and getting a slap on the wrist cause they are ass kissers.

From now on every time u get discipline and you know others who do the same don't file file file. I keep my eyes and ears open and out center is pretty good at looking out for each other when it comes to one person getting off and the other getting discipline. We had a center manager who had a hard on for anybody who stood up for them selves and didn't let them belittle them. He would attempt to fire them and we would all let them know how we got off with the same thing without even a verbal warning. The center manager is no longer with us, thanks to attorney threats after our union didn't really look into the mess as everybody would get their job back. After after weeks or months off without back pay. Hard to chance panel when u live check to check and just want to get back to work to feed the family

Every center has a few drivers who have been targets and been through all u been through. Honestly their advice is more valuable than a shop Stewart. Befriend them and learn all u can.
True that.

Cementups

Box Monkey
No BS. I once worked the preload. (4 am shift back them) with a guy who didn't show till about 7 am ( black guy). He had warning after warning. It didn't matter. Like clockwork he was at least an hour late. Finally he ended up resigning ..... I'm telling you. You can't get fired for being late. It's past practice in your building , I guarantee it.

If you think then you are truly naive. He didn't get fired because of the color of his skin. We have/had several employees like that over the years. They are near untouchable unless the do something horribly wrong like stealing.

Fergalicious

Do you know if they allowed him to stagger his time or was he just flat out late for no reason at all?

If you think then you are truly naive. He didn't get fired because of the color of his skin. We have/had several employees like that over the years. They are near untouchable unless the do something horribly wrong like stealing.

Ugh, this so much!

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
1) Show up to work before you're suppose to start.
2) Teamster rule on discipline in order = verbal warning, written warning, suspension, termination (all must be in the presence of a steward)

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
1) Show up to work before you're suppose to start.
2) Teamster rule on discipline in order = verbal warning, written warning, suspension, termination (all must be in the presence of a steward)
It's just that simple. At times it seems UPS Hires people so they can get some perverse thrill in firing them at a later time. Showing up late just gives them more of a case to can you. I have worked for UPS for over 30 years and have never been late.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I show up no less than 30min early to PCM. Organizing my airs and sorting the truck are critical to my success on road

Stay out of your truck before PCM. I mean, by all means put your lunch box and bag, if you carry one, in the truck and be ready to go but DO NOT touch any packages. All that should be done while on the clock. You're donating 30 minutes to UPS. Would you donate 30 minutes a day to a good cause, like Habitat or March of Dimes? Yeah, probably not, but go ahead and keep giving yourself to UPS and they will reward you with nothing in return.

BrownThunder

Stay out of your truck before PCM. I mean, by all means put your lunch box and bag, if you carry one, in the truck and be ready to go but DO NOT touch any packages. All that should be done while on the clock. You're donating 30 minutes to UPS. Would you donate 30 minutes a day to a good cause, like Habitat or March of Dimes? Yeah, probably not, but go ahead and keep giving yourself to UPS and they will reward you with nothing in return.

Doing my 30 day probation and this helps me in the AM with knowing where all my airs are.

After day 30 my tune might change, but I'll be damned if I get washed over what some other driver thinks.