Discipline for not knowing safety questions 100%

getting disciplined for safety is a big issue the whole "blame the worker " campaign is just another way to justify injuries and accidents and not to true hazards of the job. The methods are effective and should be practiced and not memorized. The 5 seeing habits , 8 keys to lifting and lowering , 10 point comm these are created to help you !!

menotyou

bella amicizia
Are you ex-military?
Never been in the military, never will be now that I live near a base full of them and their sponging relatives. Go to a grocery store on the 3rd and you will see all of them and their ho-ho filled carts cashing out with a welfare card. I have to work for my money. Sorry, went a little off topic, there.

rod

Retired 22 years
Never been in the military, never will be now that I live near a base full of them and their sponging relatives. Go to a grocery store on the 3rd and you will see all of them and their ho-ho filled carts cashing out with a welfare card. I have to work for my money. Sorry, went a little off topic, there.

Maybe you should walk a mile in their shoes and see what great pay the lower ranks in the military get. P.S. never say never-----------------they could start up the draft in a heart beat if needed.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Maybe you should walk a mile in their shoes and see what great pay the lower ranks in the military get. P.S. never say never-----------------they could start up the draft in a heart beat if needed.
Their sponging relatives aren't walking a mile in those shoes, or in mine. Don't be so quick to judge lest ye be judged. I was bitching about their relatives, not them.

menotyou

bella amicizia

Oh, yeah. I wish they would start the draft back up. Some senators wouldn't be so quick to send their own children into wars that are bull:censored2:!!!!

M

MenInBrown

I don't have to memorize them with my mouth...show them the methods and safe driving, thats what counts...tell them to ride with you..."You can show them better than you can tell them"

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I don't have to memorize them with my mouth...show them the methods and safe driving, thats what counts...tell them to ride with you..."You can show them better than you can tell them"

Demonstrating safe methods is more important than simply being able to recite them....at least for those of us who work in the real world. But for the cubicle-dwellers and paper-wranglers who "manage" us, it is more important that we recite them on cue so that we get a passing grade on the Keter audit.

Billy Boxtosser

Demonstrating safe methods is more important than simply being able to recite them....at least for those of us who work in the real world. But for the cubicle-dwellers and paper-wranglers who "manage" us, it is more important that we recite them on cue so that we get a passing grade on the Keter audit.

Reciting them makes them look good while demonstrating it makes us look good.

mva1985

I'm the steward for our local and the business agent tells me that all we have to do is make an honest effort... I have 25 years in and I usually miss several... so I really wouldn't sweat it!

rickspick

Hey gang,

I just heard about this site and found this thread that is exactly what I am going through. I was having trouble reciting the yard safety steps to my sup and the manager....who gave me until the end of the week to memorize them or he would remove me from my current position. I tried to talk to my manager about not being given time to study but he didn't want to hear about it......I went around and asked others about the safety steps and couldn't find any one who was made to memorize them.

Castor915" Got a 7 week vacation for this myself... Just smile and let them do what they want.
reference tool.....
Articles 37, 7 , 52 control #02217N09 ruling unjust discharge...7 week back pay"
I couldn't find this passage.....any help would be appreciated.

I would like to get this resolved but I can't afford to take time off (suspension, discharge) and need to keep working...any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Last edited:

stewardtwoniner

we had a guy that can talk an hour about anything. he took the the 8 keys to lifting and lowering and turned it into an entertaining 20 minutes story. After the ketter guy heard it he finished up the interview. didnt ask him anymore . I think his ears hurt.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Hey gang,

I just heard about this site and found this thread that is exactly what I am going through. I was having trouble reciting the yard safety steps to my sup and the manager....who gave me until the end of the week to memorize them or he would remove me from my current position. I tried to talk to my manager about not being given time to study but he didn't want to hear about it......I went around and asked others about the safety steps and couldn't find any one who was made to memorize them.

Castor915" Got a 7 week vacation for this myself... Just smile and let them do what they want.
reference tool.....
Articles 37, 7 , 52 control #02217N09 ruling unjust discharge...7 week back pay"
I couldn't find this passage.....any help would be appreciated.

I would like to get this resolved but I can't afford to take time off (suspension, discharge) and need to keep working...any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Talk to your business agent, He/She should be able to get that resolved fairly quickly. While we want all of our membership to focus on safety, we are well aware that we do not have photographic memories, and that some people have more trouble than others with memorization. I am a 21 year employee and cannot recite the drivel word for word. I don't think I will ever be able to. They cannot discipline anyone for not knowing them 100% as long as you are doing your best and continue to try and show improvement. That being said, they will definately try to intimidate you into taking the crap home and studying, do not do this, we do not do home work. If they feel you need improvement they should allow you time on the clock to study or be trained. The most important thing is to get your local Union involved and let you business agent deal with the labor managers on the discipline question.

Our center just got audited the past 2 days. I was one of the 'lucky' ones who got interviewed since my center manager calls me his 'ace in the hole' when it comes to this stuff. During my interview, I was reciting the 10 point commentary checklist and said 'check your mirrors every 5-8 sec.' She replies, what mirrors?' I said, 'you know, the mirrors on the truck.' "Well, what are they called?', she replied. 'Mirrors,' I said. 'They're REAR VIEW mirrors.' she told me. I said "Well, we don't have vanity mirrors in the truck, so mirrors will do just fine." Then after the interview was over I asked her if she could recite all of things I was just asked verbatim, and she replied 'no' I'm not required to. I said, "Don't you think someone who's conducting this audit and nit picking us to death over minor details should be able to do so?" Again, she said 'I don't have to."

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Our center just got audited the past 2 days. I was one of the 'lucky' ones who got interviewed since my center manager calls me his 'ace in the hole' when it comes to this stuff. During my interview, I was reciting the 10 point commentary checklist and said 'check your mirrors every 5-8 sec.' She replies, what mirrors?' I said, 'you know, the mirrors on the truck.' "Well, what are they called?', she replied. 'Mirrors,' I said. 'They're REAR VIEW mirrors.' she told me. I said "Well, we don't have vanity mirrors in the truck, so mirrors will do just fine." Then after the interview was over I asked her if she could recite all of things I was just asked verbatim, and she replied 'no' I'm not required to. I said, "Don't you think someone who's conducting this audit and nit picking us to death over minor details should be able to do so?" Again, she said 'I don't have to."

She is only there to make-pretend. Much like the entire audit system, it's a make-believe world.

When supervisors are sending people home who could not recite any of the mumbo-jumbo, you know it's a fix.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
'check your mirrors every 5-8 sec.' She replies, what mirrors?' I said, 'you know, the mirrors on the truck.' "Well, what are they called?', she replied. 'Mirrors,' I said. 'They're REAR VIEW mirrors.' she told me. I said "Well, we don't have vanity mirrors in the truck, so mirrors will do just fine."

After the audit I would have asked her to see the card that she was no doubt checking against while you were reciting, and point right to the check mirrors every 5-8 seconds and ask her to point on the card where it says rear view mirrors.

Everyone complains about memorizing this stuff but nobody discusses the reason we have Keter audits. Sorry to say it is the teamsters. It is teamsters that went to osha and the keter audits are part of the settlement between osha and ups. Although I think all this memorizing is rediculous....the people you need to buddy at is our own brothers!

menotyou

bella amicizia
Everyone complains about memorizing this stuff but nobody discusses the reason we have Keter audits. Sorry to say it is the teamsters. It is teamsters that went to osha and the keter audits are part of the settlement between osha and ups. Although I think all this memorizing is rediculous....the people you need to buddy at is our own brothers!

I highly doubt the Teamsters took any joy in going to OSHA with all the safety violations in hand to force UPS to attempt to be safe. If UPS truly cared about the safety of its employees, we would be required to be safe. UPS would take care of its own. They would fire supervisors who put people in harm's way. Unfortunately, that is not the case as far as I have seen. I am not being a cheerleader for the Teamsters by any means, as I have my own issues with them. But, blaming them for the Keter Krap, I think not.
I couldn't memorize my own phone number. The DM cornered me once and ordered me to puke out the 5 and 10. I just stared at him like an idiot. He got flustered and walked away. I am extremely safe and follow all the rules and standards. I know the 5 and 10 and 8 keys and blah, blah, blah. I do terrible on tests. I freeze. I cannot be terminated for that. I don't care who says what.