Discrimination or Ignorance of Policy?

Ms. Sort

Package Handler
Hi All! Been preloading four years now in addition to working another M-friend full-time job. Yesterday I was informed by my belt supe that we'd be working Saturday. As a person of the Jewish faith who observes Shabbat (which basically means no work is to be undertaken from Friday evening to Saturday evening), I've never had a problem with management understanding and respecting this tenet. Until now. Our hub has more turnover than a runaway downhill ferris wheel so I have to explain Shabbat to a new supe/manager every year once peak hits and folks are being asked to work Saturday. Yesterday I was told working this Saturday is mandatory and that "UPS don't recognize 'She-Bop' as a holiday". Do I even need to waste my time rustling up a manager who already has ten pressing issues to deal with? Or would it be more prudent to just leave it be, stay home and start on my journey down the Path of Progressive Discipline come Monday? I like my job and don't want to fight or argue about it. Also keep in mind that even calling work on a Saturday is technically against the "rules" of Shabbat. Like I said, I've never had this problem in the past. Any advice or input would be appreciated.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Hi All! Been preloading four years now in addition to working another M-friend full-time job. Yesterday I was informed by my belt supe that we'd be working Saturday. As a person of the Jewish faith who observes Shabbat (which basically means no work is to be undertaken from Friday evening to Saturday evening), I've never had a problem with management understanding and respecting this tenet. Until now. Our hub has more turnover than a runaway downhill ferris wheel so I have to explain Shabbat to a new supe/manager every year once peak hits and folks are being asked to work Saturday. Yesterday I was told working this Saturday is mandatory and that "UPS don't recognize 'She-Bop' as a holiday". Do I even need to waste my time rustling up a manager who already has ten pressing issues to deal with? Or would it be more prudent to just leave it be, stay home and start on my journey down the Path of Progressive Discipline come Monday? I like my job and don't want to fight or argue about it. Also keep in mind that even calling work on a Saturday is technically against the "rules" of Shabbat. Like I said, I've never had this problem in the past. Any advice or input would be appreciated.
What would prevent all employees to say they observe “She-Bop” also?

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?

We have this in our building and they don't force you to work on Saturday.
If they try grieve it, it they give you a warning letter grieve it, it will go away.

MendozaJ

It is insensitive when your sup phrases it like that. You do not have to work your scheduled day off. They can ask, but you cannot be coerced into working your scheduled day off. You cannot be disciplined for saying no. You do not need to provide an explanation. Don't even answer your phone on Saturday.

Cementups

Box Monkey
If you are a M-friend employee then you can not be forced to work on Saturdays. Just don't show up, nothing can be done punishment wise.

What a terrible way to mock a religion. Maybe your sup is just mad he's not one of the chosen ones.

I'd be talking to my steward and my lawyer about discrimination, especially if they try and threaten your livelihood.

Gentiles, LOL

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
91FCE348-3121-4255-B324-7DC5BEAD30FC.jpeg

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
D92A6C90-C25B-4E71-B3B1-1860DEF19775.jpeg

brownIEman

That was insensitive of your sup, if he was a PT sup reporting to me, I would have corrected that behavior. I can tell you where the attitude comes from though, he has likely heard all sorts of excuses for employees not showing up to work, and has gotten jaded to the point that he believes every one is bull :censored2:ting him when they tell him that. Does not in any way excuse his behavior, having thousands of employees BS and outright lie to a supervisor does not in any sense entitle them to treat anyone in that manor, but they are human.

If you are on the schedule to work Saturday, then that is a scheduled work day. Different locals have different rules, some do not allow the company to mandate work on a weekend, most allow the company to offer such work from top down, and force from bottom up in seniority as long as the schedule is posted early enough. Check with your steward about the rules in your local. But seniority is what UPS has to go by. The union could and would grieve UPS violating seniority, even to accommodate your religious beliefs.

That said, at most you would be dealing with one dependability occurrence. And push come to shove, no labor manager is going to support any serious disciplinary action that stems back to you genuinely following your religious beliefs. Enjoy Shabbat with your family and if you wind up in a documented talk with about dependability just smile and say shalom.

rod

Retired 22 years
I'm a Veteran---I never got one single Veterans Day off. Toughen up Buttercup. Go to work. IF your religion is any good you will be forgiven. Throw a few extra bucks in the collection plate the next time---all will be good.

brownIEman

I'm a Veteran---I never got one single Veterans Day off. Toughen up Buttercup. Go to work. IF your religion is any good you will be forgiven. Throw a few extra bucks in the collection plate the next time---all will be good.

That sucks. I had a former marine in my driver group who always wanted Veterans day off. I always managed to arrange it without anyone realizing technically their seniority had been violated.

jalnar

I had a supervisor that every year during the High Holidays I had to re educate him on the days I need off. He told me I had to use a vacation day and I said it is a schedule day off as far as I was concerned.I then said if its a problem let me know,and I will write a grievance with your name on it.Never had to write one.Get in there face with steward and enjoy,I sure did

jalnar

You have them by the balls,and keep squeezing. I would still write the grievance so it is documented,because they will try it again during Holidays and so forth.

jalnar

Hey Rod,a religious holiday is different then a holiday created by the government. I thank-you for your service,but dont compare the two.If a Tuesday -Saturday bid is created and you go to Church and are religious should you be forced on your 6 day(I dont think so),and your job should not be threatened or made fun of.

brownIEman

I had a supervisor that every year during the High Holidays I had to re educate him on the days I need off. He told me I had to use a vacation day and I said it is a schedule day off as far as I was concerned.I then said if its a problem let me know,and I will write a grievance with your name on it.Never had to write one.Get in there face with steward and enjoy,I sure did

So if they are trying to force in from the bottom up and get to your name you are going to file a grievance requesting that the company pass you over and violate one of your brother's seniority? How far did you expect the Union to fight that grievance for you?