Dispatching for a specific driver

tourists24

Maybe for you and other drivers towards the end of their career. New drivers are going to get stuck with Saturday work and most likely eventually Sunday. Two tier wage with an even longer progression period and a much lower top out rate due to GPS. And it's only a matter of time until we have to pay for our benefits. Quit acting like the union is a Godsend. Yes they have done a few good things, but they have their own interests in mind also. And don't get me started on the future of the pension.....
Sounds like you don't care for the union too much. Maybe you should just jump ship and head to Fed Ex Ground where there is no greedy union. You shouldn't miss those "few" good things the union does at all. If you want to be at UPS, my advice is to do one of two things: Get involved with your local or at minimum fight for the contract language afforded you. Fight for changing contract language next year. OR; shut up and do the work you're dispatched with. Continue to complain to management and see how that works.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
We get a message about putting it in the diad, so I guess that would be not working as directed.
Pick your poison. Failure to WAD warning letter. Falsifying records fired.

So instead of putting in break and working thru it I would suggest not putting it in unless it's been taken.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I could be wrong but..
I just reviewed my copies of the old national master. No 9.5 language in the 80s that I can see. Additionally before the penalties were spelled out drivers would have to push excessive OT greivences all the way to panel.

You're not wrong-----9.5 lists are a fairly new contract item.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
You're not wrong-----9.5 lists are a fairly new contract item.
It was in the 2003 contract.
(c) The Employer shall make a reasonable effort to reduce package car drivere'
workdays below 9.5 hours per day where requested. If a review indicates that
progress is not being made in the reduction of assigned hours of work, the
following language shall apply, except in the months of November and December;
Drivers shall have the right to file a grievance if the Employer has continually
worked a driver more than 9.5 hours per day for* any • three (3) days in a
workweek. If a grievance under this provision (or a Grievance under any
excessive overtime provision of a Supplement, Rider or Addendum) cannot be .«
resolved at the local level, the Union may docket the grievance to be heard by
the "9.5 Committee." This Committee shall be composed of two (2) Union and two
(2) Employer representatives. The 9.5 Committee shall have the authority to
direct the Employer to adjust the driver's work schedule.' Deadlocked cases shall
be referred to the Employer's Vice President of Labor Relations and the Co-Chair
of the Teamster United Parcel Service Negotiating Committee for final and
binding resolution. The Employer's Vice President and the Union's Co-Chair shall
have the discretion to grant the grievaat double time pay for hours worked in
excess of 9.5 per day and/or to order the Employer to adjust the driver's work
schedule. In the event the Employer's Vice President and the Union's Co-Chair
cannot resolve a-grievance, either party may refer the matter to arbitration in
accordance with Article 8. In the even the position of the Union is sustained,
the arbitrator shall have the authority to impose any remedy set forth in this
Section..
Screenshot_2017-03-30-19-37-36.png

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Underlined sentences are used to highlight additions and/or changes to our contract language, which means the 9.5 language was not in place prior to 2003.

Contrare Pierre
I misspoke before there was no "list"
If you worked over 9.5 three out of 5 days ( didn't have to be in the same week) you grieved it if overtime wasn't reduced you had a sit down with the B.A. Labor mgr
And center manager and steward
If it got to that point usually didn't end well for center manager
Seen it many times

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Contrare Pierre
I misspoke before there was no "list"
If you worked over 9.5 three out of 5 days ( didn't have to be in the same week) you grieved it if overtime wasn't reduced you had a sit down with the B.A. Labor mgr
And center manager and steward
If it got to that point usually didn't end well for center manager
Seen it many times
That may have been a Central Region thing and not a Master one.

35years

Gravy route
So there was no 9.5 language prior to 1993.
A later contract established the "in one week" rather than 5 day rule and the formation of a list.

I know before the list filing a 9.5 usually was an exercise in futility. None the less I did so , and eventually won at panel.

The last round of language changes were a huge improvement. It codified the process, secured a triple time penalty, and established the Of the union having a say in dispatch decisions if no progress was made.
The trade off was the "in a week" language rather than 5 working days and the 4 year language.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
So there was no 9.5 language prior to 1993.
A later contract established the "in one week" rather than 5 day rule and the formation of a list.

I know before the list filing a 9.5 usually was an exercise in futility. None the less I did so , and eventually won at panel.

The last round of language changes were a huge improvement. It codified the process, secured a triple time penalty, and established the Of the union having a say in dispatch decisions if no progress was made.
The trade off was the "in a week" language rather than 5 working days and the 4 year language.

Another give back was the " list"
Stupidest thing I've ever heard of
They have the ability to know how much work you have there is no need for a " list"
Work 2 9.5s tell them your going to grieve the 3rd one then do it

Daf

If you are dispatched for a 12hr day make it take 12 hours and politely tell them to change the dispatch if they don't like how long it takes.