Dispatching NDA Savers in section 8000+

browniehound

+We are in the middle of summer and everyone of us not on vacation knows what that means at UPS. Routes are getting slashed due to the drop in volume and now our stop counts are "jacked"

I can't let this go. How is he allowed to actually "PLAN" (because this is what he is doing) to have Savers PAL'ed to section 8000? Does he know? Does he think? Does he care?

PAS/EDD was supposed to make the drivers more efficent but we can't be if we have to go digging for packeges and breaking many miles to make service. Now we are the only ones held responislble for our SPORH and we are getting screwed because nothing has become easier for us or more efficient but are now held to a higher standard!

outamyway

If they are rezzies, it doesn't really matter does it? If they are business stops then there is a problem.

What I don't get is while using EDD and it gets close to 3:00PM all the savers jump to the top of the list, even though the rezzie stops are do by midnight. That gets annoying and I've only done a route a few times.

Another thing that gets friend'ed up is an add cut that comes late will usually all be SPA'ed to one shelf. Sixty packages on one shelf? No problem.

Overpaid Union Thug

What I don't get is while using EDD and it gets close to 3:00PM all the savers jump to the top of the list, even though the rezzie stops are do by midnight. That gets annoying and I've only done a route a few times.

You can keep the residential savers from moving to the top of the list right before 3:00. Right after you download EDD in the morning push the "Commit" soft key. Scroll down the list and stop at every saver that you know is a residential stop. You'll notice that one of the soft keys says res/commercial (or something like that). If you hit the special counts key the menu cycles up and down from residential to commercial. This will tag the saver as a residential stop and it will no longer show up on the commit screen. You can also do this to commercial stops. I do that sometimes if I know that I'll be delivering commercial savers very early and won't be in danger of delivering them after 3:00.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You can keep the residential savers from moving to the top of the list right before 3:00. Right after you download EDD in the morning push the "Commit" soft key. Scroll down the list and stop at every saver that you know is a residential stop. You'll notice that one of the soft keys says res/commercial (or something like that). If you hit the special counts key the menu cycles up and down from residential to commercial. This will tag the saver as a residential stop and it will no longer show up on the commit screen. You can also do this to commercial stops. I do that sometimes if I know that I'll be delivering commercial savers very early and won't be in danger of delivering them after 3:00.

Thanks for the tip--I didn't know that and also find it frustrating when EDD puts them at the top of the list at 2:45.

Overpaid Union Thug

Thanks for the tip--I didn't know that and also find it frustrating when EDD puts them at the top of the list at 2:45.

Glad to share it. It also clears the clutter on the commit screen. Some days I'll have 20+ airs but after I finish clearing the residential savers I'll have half that. Some days I only have savers. I like being able to completely clear out the commit screen before I even leave the building. :)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Glad to share it. It also clears the clutter on the commit screen. Some days I'll have 20+ airs but after I finish clearing the residential savers I'll have half that. Some days I only have savers. I like being able to completely clear out the commit screen before I even leave the building. :)

So you do this just after getting EDD? How long does it take?

WyoBrown

Wow...great tip! What other words of wisdom re: EDD do you have to share? Our ctr is about 6 wks into the use of EDD and currently, I have resi's spa'ing to the 2000 shelf and a lame *ss dispatcher who is telling me he doesnt have authorization to fix it. Huh?????? So in the meantime, my business stops that arent bulk are jammed onto the 3000 shelf, floor, center of truck etc. I love that the stops are pre-recorded but I hate how each day is different in the truck...everything used to be in its place...now its a crap shoot every morning. I should add that UPS corp showed up by the dozen this morning, the drivers were not allowed to touch a pkg until 9am...after the preloaders crammed everything in. I sweat gallons spending the day trying to find pkgs that WERE NOT where my DIAD said they were. Okay...kinda ran with that one...more tips arrow down??

Wow...great tip! What other words of wisdom re: EDD do you have to share? Our ctr is about 6 wks into the use of EDD and currently, I have resi's spa'ing to the 2000 shelf and a lame *ss dispatcher who is telling me he doesnt have authorization to fix it. Huh?????? So in the meantime, my business stops that arent bulk are jammed onto the 3000 shelf, floor, center of truck etc. I love that the stops are pre-recorded but I hate how each day is different in the truck...everything used to be in its place...now its a crap shoot every morning. I should add that UPS corp showed up by the dozen this morning, the drivers were not allowed to touch a pkg until 9am...after the preloaders crammed everything in. I sweat gallons spending the day trying to find pkgs that WERE NOT where my DIAD said they were. Okay...kinda ran with that one...more tips arrow down??

Our center has been "live for around 2 years now, and we still have the same sort of problems, however I think that you just get used to looking ALL THE WAY THROUGH your edd for the business stops/commit times especially if you are an X driver.

atatbl

Thank you so much.

TSup

more tips arrow down??

One that many seem not to know about.....

If you can't read the entire street name in the EDD view, hit the little arrow key way in the lower right hand corner of the Diad and it toggles the street name justified left / justified right

Comes in handy if you have a bunch of County Roads or Highways and the name gets cut off in normal EDD view

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
+
PAS/EDD was supposed to make the drivers more efficent but we can't be if we have to go digging for packeges and breaking many miles to make service. Now we are the only ones held responislble for our SPORH and we are getting screwed because nothing has become easier for us or more efficient but are now held to a higher standard!
Your SPORH is managements problem, not yours. If they dont like the number, let them demonstrate a better way to do it.

The failure of PAS/EDD to reduce your miles or make you more efficient is also your management's problem, not yours. Its their system; they designed it; they implemented it. You are paid by the hour to work as instructed. If their system fails to meet their expectations then they get to figure out how to fix it.

By all means you should try to make them aware of problems and strive to be as effective and productive as possible; just remember that once you have made them aware of the problem, it isn't yours to worry about anymore.

New Englander

+We are in the middle of summer and everyone of us not on vacation knows what that means at UPS. Routes are getting slashed due to the drop in volume and now our stop counts are "jacked"

I can't let this go. How is he allowed to actually "PLAN" (because this is what he is doing) to have Savers PAL'ed to section 8000? Does he know? Does he think? Does he care?

Made it easier for me......

One that many seem not to know about.....

If you can't read the entire street name in the EDD view, hit the little arrow key way in the lower right hand corner of the Diad and it toggles the street name justified left / justified right

Comes in handy if you have a bunch of County Roads or Highways and the name gets cut off in normal EDD view

Ahhhh HAAAA, I knew there had to be a way to do that. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Actually I did that one day but didn't know how I did it to repeat. Thanks again

PackageManager

One other EDD trick -- if you are a mall driver try hitting the letter "Z" key. If the PDS has planned the consignees the EDD view will change from street addresses to consignee name.

upsman29

I have a tip many may not know. On the packages that dont scan because of a bad label. You dont have to punch the whole 1z bar code in to bring up the tracking number. If you are at a delivery with only 1 package goto the address in edd, hit enter, big arrow down to the screen where you would scan the package, hit scan, then the screen will come up that you would type in the 1z number, look in the bottom right hand corner and you will see the word "find" hit that soft key, type the last 4 numbers of the bar code , enter and it will appear in the place where you would have typed the 1z number. hit enter again and your done. If you have a multi package stop once you have scanned a package for the address if you come to one that wont scan look in that bottom right hand corner you once you have tried to scan it and u will see "find" and follow the same as above.... It may seem like alot reading this but once you find that and use it that will save you alot of time dealing with bad labels.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The "Find BC" feature has been discussed at length in previous posts but thank you for the post as others may not have had a chance to read it.

I use this quite a bit, especially at bulk stops, and it is a time saver. You do have to be careful to select the right barcode if several appear after you hit Find BC.