Do I really need a union for a 2% raise ???

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
It's in the jobs report article I linked.

Wages are rising. Inflation comes next. Then rates kick up.

All while we take a pay cut the next 5 years I guess

Not really. A wage increase is just that. An increase in wages.

Superficially, yes.

Now take a percentage of that and put it into 401(k) or 403(b), then take another percentage of that and put it toward the average 3% increase in healthcare costs. (4.3% for 2018 btw)

If you pay for those benefits, they come out of your wage increase as well.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
Superficially, yes.

Now take a percentage of that and put it into 401(k) or 403(b), then take another percentage of that and put it toward the average 3% increase in healthcare costs. (4.3% for 2018 btw)

You are a total IDIOT! H&W+Pension is part of our pay package!

If they were not then our wages would HAVE TO BE HIGHER FOR DECADES NOW!

WE TAKE A PAY CUT WITH THIS PROPOSED CONTRACT

WAY TO :censored2:ING GO UNION!

I'm actually not an idiot, no matter how big you type it. It is a part of our compensation package, yes, but the Bloomberg report does not exclude pension-provided wage earners. It is reporting average wage increases, and the average wage earner pays out of pocket for their retirement and healthcare.

I don't like this contract as-is either, but I'm not going to generate "facts" to make it worse than it is.

Just because you talk louder (or type bigger and bolder) doesn't make you more right.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Superficially, yes.

Just to be clear, the article doesn't discuss whether health benefits or 401k company matches are growing, so you can't say we have to take our h&w into account. As unemployment stays low, companies are increasing pay AND benefits to stay competitive, that's the way it works.

Just to be clear, the article doesn't discuss whether health benefits or 401k company matches are growing, so you can't say we have to take our h&w into account. As unemployment stays low, companies are increasing pay AND benefits to stay competitive, that's the way it works.

Agreed, but as I was pointing out, this article is based on averages. That said, roughly half of all employers offering 401's match 0%. About 40% match 2%-6%, and +/- 10% match 6% or more. The average match is 3% at a 50% rate, meaning you pay 6% to get that 3% match.

And again, average healthcare costs have been running at 3% increases for the past two decades.

All averages.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Agreed, but as I was pointing out, this article is based on averages. That said, roughly half of all employers offering 401's match 0%. About 40% match 2%-6%, and +/- 10% match 6% or more. The average match is 3% at a 50% rate, meaning you pay 6% to get that 3% match.

And again, average healthcare costs have been running at 3% increases for the past two decades.

All averages.
Mkay.
I kind of feel like you're saying we shouldn't worry about getting raises that are less than inflation, because our benefits are staying the same. Seems like a silly argument, just my opinion.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

All averages.

When you find a source that addresses total compensation packages across the nation, then you will have the necessary info to discuss all aspects of compensation. Until then it is merely speculation, and doesn't refute the OP's point.

When you find a source that addresses total compensation packages across the nation, then you will have the necessary info to discuss all aspects of compensation. Until then it is merely speculation, and doesn't refute the OP's point.

It wasn't meant to refute anything, just supply info for a more complete perspective. Of course it is speculation, but the chance of it being accurate is high since the report was based on averages. Any survey can be skewed in any direction, it's not difficult. But since the average person pays benefits out of pocket and this was a survey based on averages, it's a valid point.

It's just to provide perspective and accuracy when discussing wage and useable income, not trying to condemn anyone.

Mkay.
I kind of feel like you're saying we shouldn't worry about getting raises that are less than inflation, because our benefits are staying the same. Seems like a silly argument, just my opinion.

Not what I'm saying at all, man. I'm just saying that if you're going to provide a source that discusses the average wage, you have to also discuss and include the average wage earner's hurdle when looking at useable income.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Not what I'm saying at all, man. I'm just saying that if you're going to provide a source that discusses the average wage, you have to also discuss and include the average wage earner's hurdle when looking at useable income.
We're not discussing the average disposable income, we're discussing wage increases.

If you want to discuss average benefit increase, since you brought it up, feel free to provide an article about that.

LagunaBrown

Our total compensation is higher this contract at $9.15 compared to last contract at $8.90. A 2% increase when your making $37 dollars an hour is a lot of buying power.

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics consumer price index, prices in 2018 are 8.18% higher than prices in 2013. The dollar experienced an average inflation rate of 2.95% per year during this period.

In other words, $1 in 2013 is equivalent in purchasing power to $1.08 in 2018, a difference of $0.08 over 5 years.

The 2013 inflation rate was 1.46%. The current inflation rate (2017 to 2018) is now 2.95%1. If this number holds, $1 today will be equivalent to $1.03 next year.

2F81133C-5411-4FD9-9F90-689521BF860C.jpeg

Some of the things you post are just flat stupidity.

Last edited:

rickyb

Do i really need a union for a 2% raise ???

U.S. Wage Gains Pick Up to 2.9% While Payrolls Rise 201,000 Terms of Service Violation
you are better off as a worker with a union than not.

thats why employers dont like unions.

and btw your probably getting a wage cut, im guessing real inflation is higher than 2%.

you can partly blame the union, but most of the blame lies with capitalism and market conditions.

Last edited:

rickyb

Our total compensation is higher this contract at $9.15 compared to last contract at $8.90. A 2% increase when your making $37 dollars an hour is a lot of buying power.

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics consumer price index, prices in 2018 are 8.18% higher than prices in 2013. The dollar experienced an average inflation rate of 2.95% per year during this period.

In other words, $1 in 2013 is equivalent in purchasing power to $1.08 in 2018, a difference of $0.08 over 5 years.

The 2013 inflation rate was 1.46%. The current inflation rate (2017 to 2018) is now 2.95%1. If this number holds, $1 today will be equivalent to $1.03 next year.

View attachment 211250

Some of the things you post are just flat stupidity.
im not sure this is true.

they are probably not counting alot of things for inflation.