Do I really need a union for a 2% raise ???

Which has nothing to do with their wage increase.
Let's do this again:

Let's.

No, if you contribute 6% to your 401, you continue to contribute that 6% on your wage increase. Also, each year, most companies have what's called open enrollment, at which time you select your health plan for the year. This is the point when healthcare providers adjust the rates accordingly, either up or down to reflect the cost of the plan. An average of 3% increase means that an average of 3% of your wage increase goes to that.

So, a person at 6% 401(k) or 403(b) contribution and an increase of 3% to healthcare means that 9% of the wage increase is accounted for. A $2.00 raise is essentially $1.82 on your check.

AwashBwashCwash

I'm beginning to really question supporting the union.
I'm pulling a double shift today and helped out on preload this morning unloading.
We were slammed and backed up on bags and the sup was standing next to the belt helping by folding up the empty bags and getting rid of them after we dumped them out and threw them to him.
Next thing I know some dick head old guy who was scanning walks up and tells the sup to "stop helping us" (his exact words) or else he'll file a grievance. For the rest of the shift we're now drowning in empty bags everywhere and tripping over them constantly and losing full bags in the sea of empty ones.
Then it hit me - this is the environment the union creates. A shield for out-of-touch, delusional boomers to swing their dick around pretending they're the big man playing politics and protection for resentful bugmen to hide their incompetence behind "seniority."

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
So since I already explained how you're completely wrong about 401k contributions making your wage increase disappear, I guess you want me to help you understand the health insurance part.

You see, you're assuming the cost employees contribute went up. You just state it out of thin air like fact. It is not a fact.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
The cost of insurance goes up almost annually. The retirement contribution dollar amount goes up with each raise.
The retirement contribution amount goes up and the amount in the retirement account goes up, it's a flush bro, try to stick to health insurance argument you'll do better.

My wife's open enrollment packet came this month. ZERO increase in health insurance cost. Every employee in the county got a 3% raise..... so, try something else.

So since I already explained how you're completely wrong about 401k contributions making your wage increase disappear, I guess you want me to help you understand the health insurance part.

You see, you're assuming the cost employees contribute went up. You just state it out of thin air like fact. It is not a fact.

I didn't say your money disappears, I'm saying that it is no longer useable income like ours is. And yes, healthcare premiums go up, insurance companies don't just eat the costs. That is fact.

The retirement contribution amount goes up and the amount in the retirement account goes up, it's a flush bro, try to stick to health insurance argument you'll do better.

My wife's open enrollment packet came this month. ZERO increase in health insurance cost. Every employee in the county got a 3% raise..... so, try something else.

Your wife's employer is one example. One.

llamainmypocket

I'm pulling a double shift today and helped out on preload this morning unloading.
We were slammed and backed up on bags and the sup was standing next to the belt helping by folding up the empty bags and getting rid of them after we dumped them out and threw them to him.
Next thing I know some dick head old guy who was scanning walks up and tells the sup to "stop helping us" (his exact words) or else he'll file a grievance. For the rest of the shift we're now drowning in empty bags everywhere and tripping over them constantly and losing full bags in the sea of empty ones.
Then it hit me - this is the environment the union creates. A shield for out-of-touch, delusional boomers to swing their dick around pretending they're the big man playing politics and protection for resentful bugmen to hide their incompetence behind "seniority."

You're probably right. Have you considered the part time supervisor position?

Good luck

Last edited:

AwashBwashCwash

You're probably right. Have you considered the part time supervisor position?

I know you guy like to psych each other up on demonizing management but in my experience they've been pretty good guys to me.
The only people who are :censored2:ing me over are the union crowd and old-timers who like to use their seniority like a club to get their way or else they have a tantrum.

As opposed to your random thoughts from nowhere?

Not random at all, any short period of time spent online with a trusted source will show that the average premium for single and family plans are around $6k and $18k respectively. Reports vary, but that cost has risen around 20% on since 2012, and even higher since 2000.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Not random at all, any short period of time spent online with a trusted source will show that the average premium for single and family plans are around $6k and $18k respectively. Reports vary, but that cost has risen around 20% on since 2012, and even higher since 2000.
And we are sitting at record unemployment and a fiercely competitive job market. You keep talking about the cost of health insurance going up. I'm talking about what the employee pays. They're two different things.

From the get go, you have tried to link our wage increase to our benefits staying the same. I suggested on page one that if you want to compare benefits, you should link to an article about employee health insurance contributions increasing this year. Now all of the sudden you're telling me to find a source lol.

full circle, again.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Well, it can....

What I'm saying is that all of our raise is useable income, you only dispose some to 401k or investments if you (wisely) choose to. Average wage earners dont have that option, they have to invest a part of their income in insurance and retirement if they are to have either.
Same as a large percentage of our raise goes to retirement and insurance.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
So you'd rather the sup steal money from you and your coworkers?

Takes a special kind of stupid...

And we are sitting at record unemployment and a fiercely competitive job market. You keep talking about the cost of health insurance going up. I'm talking about what the employee pays. They're two different things.

From the get go, you have tried to link our wage increase to our benefits staying the same. I suggested on page one that if you want to compare benefits, you should link to an article about employee health insurance contributions increasing this year. Now all of the sudden you're telling me to find a source lol.

full circle, again.

I only discussed useable income based on wage increases. It seems absurd that you believe healthcare costs don't get passed down to the consumer, but here's what the 2017 survey by Kaiser Family Foundation has to say.

2017 Employer Health Benefits Survey

I don't think you're so naive as to think employers eat the increasing cost of healthcare indefinitely. All I was pointing out is that our entire wage increase, in itself, is useable income. That is not average.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I only discussed useable income based on wage increases. It seems absurd that you believe healthcare costs don't get passed down to the consumer, but here's what the 2017 survey by Kaiser Family Foundation has to say.

2017 Employer Health Benefits Survey

I don't think you're so naive as to think employers eat the increasing cost of healthcare indefinitely. All I was pointing out is that our entire wage increase, in itself, is useable income. That is not average.
Ya, your source says employee health contributions went up a whopping $84 a year from 2016 to 2017.....

That's supposed to make me feel better about getting a wage increase that's less than inflation when the economy is booming???

Come on man, let's leave the health and welfare out of the wage increase talk. It's a totally separate topic.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
Our total compensation is higher this contract at $9.15 compared to last contract at $8.90. A 2% increase when your making $37 dollars an hour is a lot of buying power.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics consumer price index, prices in 2018 are 8.18% higher than prices in 2013. The dollar experienced an average inflation rate of 2.95% per year during this period.
In other words, $1 in 2013 is equivalent in purchasing power to $1.08 in 2018, a difference of $0.08 over 5 years.
The 2013 inflation rate was 1.46%. The current inflation rate (2017 to 2018) is now 2.95%1. If this number holds, $1 today will be equivalent to $1.03 next year.
Some of the things you post are just flat stupidity.

WOW, just wow! You wasted all those words and graphs to say exactly this: The raise is less than inflation! pretty sure that's what I said earlier!

Laguna, please stop sniffing glue!

Well, it can....
What I'm saying is that all of our raise is useable income.....

Exactly!
I will have to USE MORE of my 2% raise to buy bread and clothes which is now 2.95% more expensive!