Do I really need a union for a 2% raise ???

LagunaBrown

A14CCE65-AA22-414A-A7A5-F3BE5AB70183.jpeg

We're not discussing the average disposable income, we're discussing wage increases.

If you want to discuss average benefit increase, since you brought it up, feel free to provide an article about that.

Not discussing disposable income, discussing useable income, two separate things. I didn't bring up benefit increase, I brought up that the average wage earner has to provide a percentage of that wage increase toward benefits. We do not.

Our total compensation is higher this contract at $9.15 compared to last contract at $8.90. A 2% increase when your making $37 dollars an hour is a lot of buying power.

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics consumer price index, prices in 2018 are 8.18% higher than prices in 2013. The dollar experienced an average inflation rate of 2.95% per year during this period.

In other words, $1 in 2013 is equivalent in purchasing power to $1.08 in 2018, a difference of $0.08 over 5 years.

The 2013 inflation rate was 1.46%. The current inflation rate (2017 to 2018) is now 2.95%1. If this number holds, $1 today will be equivalent to $1.03 next year.

View attachment 211250

Some of the things you post are just flat stupidity.

Thanks for taking my point to the opposite extreme. Jesus

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Not discussing disposable income, discussing useable income, two separate things. I didn't bring up benefit increase, I brought up that the average wage earner has to provide a percentage of that wage increase toward benefits. We do not.
Oh boy, you're struggling with basic math here.

They make a certain amount, and they pay a certain amount for benefits.
The amount they make goes up. The benefits cost stays the same.
None of the wage increase goes to benefits.

We make a certain amount, and we pay a certain amount for benefits($0).
The amount we make goes up. The benefits cost stays the same.

Therefore it is completely rational to compare our wage increases, regardless of benefits.

Oh boy, you're struggling with basic math here.
The worker made a certain amount, and they paid a certain amount for benefits.
The amount they make goes up. The benefits cost stays the same.

No, if you contribute 6% to your 401, you continue to contribute that 6% on your wage increase. Also, each year, most companies have what's called open enrollment, at which time you select your health plan for the year. This is the point when healthcare providers adjust the rates accordingly, either up or down to reflect the cost of the plan. An average of 3% increase means that an average of 3% of your wage increase goes to that.

So, a person at 6% 401(k) or 403(b) contribution and an increase of 3% to healthcare means that 9% of the wage increase is accounted for. A $2.00 raise is essentially $1.82 on your check.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
A 2% increase when your making $37 dollars an hour is a lot of buying power.

The 2013 inflation rate was 1.46%. The current inflation rate (2017 to 2018) is now 2.95%1. If this number holds, $1 today will be equivalent to $1.03 next year.

These two statements completely contradict themselves.

Let's assume it is only 3% inflation.

37x.03 = 1.11

1.11-.70 = .41

So using you're own numbers and argument we are taking a 41 cents pay cut per hour in year 1.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
So, a person at 6% 401(k) or 403(b) contribution and an increase of 3% to healthcare means that 9% of the wage increase is accounted for. A $2.00 raise is essentially $1.82 on your check.
I contribute 30% to my 401k, so you're saying I'm getting 30% less of a raise than the person who contributes nothing to their 401k? LOL.

It's my money either way bro, it doesn't disappear when it goes into a 401k lol.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I contribute 30% to my 401k, so you're saying I'm getting 30% less of a raise than the person who contributes nothing to their 401k? LOL.

It's my money either way bro, it doesn't disappear when it goes into a 401k lol.
Yep. That's completely ones personal choice on what they do with their income.

If I spend $200 a week on cocaine does that mean my wage increase isn't as much as the guy that doesn't?

Well, it can....

What I'm saying is that all of our raise is useable income, you only dispose some to 401k or investments if you (wisely) choose to. Average wage earners dont have that option, they have to invest a part of their income in insurance and retirement if they are to have either.