Do Part Timers really outnumber Full Timers?

Nimnim

The Nim
I ask this question because I keep seeing the claim that they do and should they vote they'd be able to get what they want because of their numbers.

But I had a moment where I thought, is this really true? Sure there are likely more part timers employed, I don't have the numbers but just thinking about my hub and I have to agree on just a visual assessment.

Then I thought about the turnover rate, we all agree it's very high. So is there really a significant number of part timers over full timers when you think about how many made seniority and also paid their union initiation fees while also being there long enough to have a vote happen?

Just hypothetically we have a center with 50 ft drivers, and 80 pt dealing with preload and reload. So pters outnumber the fters, but only 40 of the pters have been there for more than a year and the other 40 are in a cycle of hire/quit/replace with newhire.

When something to vote on comes around in my hypothetical you have less pters than fters who would be interested or potentially knowledgeable in that vote just because the remaining pters are either just passing through, not there long enough to be able to vote, don't care or just uninformed and so they don't care to vote.

So I want to hear others thoughts on this. I'm not saying I'm right, but I don't think the whole pters outnumber fters thing really holds up. I think this could be an interesting discussion for us here.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Part-timers vastly out number the full-timers.... in actual hubs.

If your building has a reload shift, it's not a hub.

Combine feeders and pkg.... it's still about a 3-1 ratio.

CoolStoryBro

There are more part timers than full timers.

This new contract only addresses the concerns of the full time drivers. Because part timers aren't involved and don't vote.
The new hybrid driver position takes a dump on part timers.

MattE

I’m with Nimnim on this. Technically there may be more pt’ers, but in actuality I don’t think so. I don’t work in a hub, just a small center. But here we have around 30 drivers and 20 pt’ers. And maybe 5-7 of the pt’ers have a clue about the contract. But almost all the drivers know what is going on. At least more much more so than the rest of the pt’ers. If there were more pt’ers that cared things would be different.

cachmeifucan

250,000 ups teamsters my guess 160,000 part time 90,000 full time the actual number will be posted I'm sure someone knows about 60% of us will vote maybe and 25 % of them so and long time part time employee Vote Like Full Time guys.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
The new contract only addresses the concerns of the full time drivers.

We don't know that yet.

Until the entirety of the new language is released (including the supplements) it's speculation.

Because part timers aren't involved and don't vote.
If there were more pt’ers that cared things would be different.

@Bubblehead has always professed a belief, part-timers are in control of their own

destiny if only they would vote. A rational.... that's easy to understand.

-Bug-

Staydryitsraining

Y
I ask this question because I keep seeing the claim that they do and should they vote they'd be able to get what they want because of their numbers.

But I had a moment where I thought, is this really true? Sure there are likely more part timers employed, I don't have the numbers but just thinking about my hub and I have to agree on just a visual assessment.

Then I thought about the turnover rate, we all agree it's very high. So is there really a significant number of part timers over full timers when you think about how many made seniority and also paid their union initiation fees while also being there long enough to have a vote happen?

Just hypothetically we have a center with 50 ft drivers, and 80 pt dealing with preload and reload. So pters outnumber the fters, but only 40 of the pters have been there for more than a year and the other 40 are in a cycle of hire/quit/replace with newhire.

When something to vote on comes around in my hypothetical you have less pters than fters who would be interested or potentially knowledgeable in that vote just because the remaining pters are either just passing through, not there long enough to be able to vote, don't care or just uninformed and so they don't care to vote.

So I want to hear others thoughts on this. I'm not saying I'm right, but I don't think the whole pters outnumber fters thing really holds up. I think this could be an interesting discussion for us here.
You only have 50 ft drivers? Where are you west virginia?

M

MenInBrown

And how many do you think pay dues and can vote? That’s the real question.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
part timers don't vote. maybe 20% tops. I was told our hub had 800 part timers and about 300 or so drivers , package and feeder. not sure how accurate.

The Teamsters really need to make it easier to vote . Maybe by doing it online. Nearly everyone can't go 5 minutes without looking at their computer.

Even by phone would be better than the ballots they are supposed to send out by mail. One contract year hardly anyone received one.

mikejonesjr

You guys load boxes with numbers telling you where to go. It's about as much effort as my nephew coloring by numbers.
It's amazing how it becomes easy once you don't have to do it, you sound like a supervisor. There's a reason during peak we can work a shift and then go out as a driver helper. Running packages isnt that difficult.

Staydryitsraining

part timers don't vote. maybe 20% tops. I was told our hub had 800 part timers and about 300 or so drivers , package and feeder. not sure how accurate.

The Teamsters really need to make it easier to vote . Maybe by doing it online. Nearly everyone can't go 5 minutes without looking at their computer.

Even by phone would be better than the ballots they are supposed to send out by mail. One contract year hardly anyone received one.
800?

mikejonesjr

Put box 1 in this car at box 1 spot. EASY
Not gunna lie, if you ever said that to my face while I'm loading 1000 pieces in blazing heat I'd have to slap you. But then again you either never had to do it or your old enough that you did it before every other package was 40 lbs.

Indecisi0n

Not gunna lie, if you ever said that to my face while I'm loading 1000 pieces in blazing heat I'd have to slap you. But then again you either never had to do it or your old enough that you did it before every other package was 40 lbs.

Most packages are smaller now and square which makes them a lot easier to handle.