Do we deserve $32+/hour

Catatonic

Nine Lives
This is a good way of looking at it.
I was in HR at one time and I had no problem hiring very good drivers off the street with a 80% plus take rate.
Over half the part-timers did not make it ... probably way less.

Absolutely no problem hiring drivers off the street for permanent positions.
Relatively hard time hiring qualified part-timers off the street.
I know personally and from ad-hoc discussions that we are having a hard time hiring qualified management off the street in all career areas.
The increasing of the CEO salary and perks is an attempt to hire qualified CEOs from outside the company. Still a long way to go in that regard.

what would you say is the reason why off the street hires are more successful? what were some of the reasons that part timers were so unsuccessful? in your opinion what are some of the qualities it takes to make a successful driver?

My observations are mainly that a P/T has a fallback to their old P/T job.
P/T generally have not worked any real job but UPS and feel a certain sense of entitlement and they do not go out and ride their route before they start and on the weekends after they start. They have been unionized and feel they just come in and once they punch the clock, they start working and don't do anything related to the job off the clock.
If they don't make it, there is always next year when they can bid again.
Most P/Ts make it on their 2nd try.

The "off the street" driver hire has worked other jobs and understands how great a UPS driver job is.
If they don't make it, they are gone and they will do whatever it takes to make seniority.
They go out and drive their route before they start and on weekends ... they are hungrier and wiser in the ways of the world.

You observed that from where, your cubical in Atlanta?
I observe the polar opposite from the hub floor.

I see men and women that have waited as much as ten years for their opportunity.
They are there early and are desperate to make good on their chance.
I am not a privy to what they do on the weekends or before and after work, nor are you unless they broadcast it, which on occasions they have.
​As their steward, I tell them to do whatever it takes to get their thirty days, then come see me and I will teach them how to survive the next thirty years.

Mine is a detached, objective evaluation ... something I have never seen in any of your posts.
You cannot see the forest for the trees and that's understandable (if not desirable) to some extent.

I spent 19 years in "operations" and 4 years in HR.
One of my jobs as an HR was to track turnover for all positions.
I had extended areas as well as major hubs.
The context of my answer was mainly in the hub because extended area P/T to drivers almost always made it.
My observations came from follow-up interviews with the manager and the P/T hourly - I did this on every Driver turnover in my area of responsibility.

To extend my observations further, extended center managers have a close and personal relationship with most of their P/T employees while in a hub, it's just a new face with no previous relationship ... sink or swim.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Yesterday was a light day so after I delivered an add/cut I ran off a moved. As I was leaving that stop and heading to start my pickups I came upon a pkg car parked on the side of the road. The driver had just completed the stop on the right side of the road and I assumed he was getting ready to drive to the next stop. I tooted the horn and began to pass him on the left when all of a sudden he darts out from in front of the package car to deliver the stop on the left hand side of the road. He also had a lit cigarette dangling from his mouth. I leaned out and told him that is why we are taught to cross behind the package car. His response was "oh well". I just shook my head and headed to my first pickup stop.

And this has what exactly to do with this thread?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Mine is a detached, objective evaluation ... something I have never seen in any of your posts.
You cannot see the forest for the trees and that's understandable (if not desirable) to some extent.

I spent 19 years in "operations" and 4 years in HR.

This took place in what decade?
Do you think it is the same now is it was then?

If it is fair for you to say that "I can't see the forest for the trees", would that conversely make it fair for me to say that "you can't see the trees for the forest"?
I have to think both vantage points come with an obstructed view.

S

serenity now

OFF TOPIC WARNING

Yesterday was a light day so after I delivered an add/cut I ran off a moved. As I was leaving that stop and heading to start my pickups I came upon a pkg car parked on the side of the road. The driver had just completed the stop on the right side of the road and I assumed he was getting ready to drive to the next stop. I tooted the horn and began to pass him on the left when all of a sudden he darts out from in front of the package car to deliver the stop on the left hand side of the road. He also had a lit cigarette dangling from his mouth. I leaned out and told him that is why we are taught to cross behind the package car. His response was "oh well". I just shook my head and headed to my first pickup stop.

was it a good idea to start a pass, when you thought he was about to reenter the traffic flow?

expect the unexpected * you should have hit him to make your point *

i always cross from the front; you see i want the entire mass of my truck between me and that idiot that is approaching me from behind (who is so busy texting LOL) that he would crush me against the rear of the truck if i was back there * and yes, i stop at the front corner of the truck and look * i also listen, and i can do that because i'm not wearing earbuds or cranking a boombox on the dash

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

OFF TOPIC WARNING

was it a good idea to start a pass, when you thought he was about to reenter the traffic flow?

expect the unexpected * you should have hit him to make your point *

i always cross from the front; you see i want the entire mass of my truck between me and that idiot that is approaching me from behind (who is so busy texting LOL) that he would crush me against the rear of the truck if i was back there * and yes, i stop at the front corner of the truck and look * i also listen, and i can do that because i'm not wearing earbuds or cranking a boombox on the dash

He was not even close to entering traffic hence the decision to go around him. It was a good thing I was paying attention as he did not stop at the front corner of the truck and look.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
1) This took place in what decade?

2) Do you think it is the same now is it was then?

3) If it is fair for you to say that "I can't see the forest for the trees", would that conversely make it fair for me to say that "you can't see the trees for the forest"?

I have to think both vantage points come with an obstructed view.

1) Most people understand that 19 years is more than a decade ... it was over 3 decades. :angry:

2) People are pretty much the same now as it was 2 decades ago. :peaceful:

3) Probably but you don't have a well-worn cliche to utilize. :wink2:

4) My observations are not based on ad-hoc events in a limited, localized location ... yours are.:smart:

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
How far $32 per hour goes is directly dependent on the cost of living in a particular area. The "value" of a dollar downstate from me in New York is half of what it is in my area. This goes for any major metro area where the cost of living, particularly real estate, taxes, entertainment, etc are much higher than most areas such as the inland Northeast, South, and Midwest.

But it doesn't really matter. Even in the markets with the highest cost of living, driver's total compensation package places them among the top 20% of all income earners in their area. Yes, $32/hour in direct wages will go much further in Kansas City that will in San Francisco or NYC ... but it's still a lot of money in San Francisco & NYC. Most comparable jobs in NYC -- including entry-level positions such as fast food & retail -- earn the same or slightly more than their national counterparts, despite the high cost of living. Which is probably why the wait to go into FT driving in places like LA, Chicago, San Francisco, etc. is the same or longer than the national average.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

And this has what exactly to do with this thread?

The real question is: Did Dave write him up?

U

uber

Haha, you probably called in the center and tattled on the guy. Seems like something you'd do.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
No but I did pull him aside yesterday morning and discussed what had happened with him.

I understand the theory of crossing behind the truck but I don't believe it solves all the problem. One can just as easily be hit crossing behind the truck as in front of it. Either way, it boils down to the driver taking the time to stop, look and LISTEN to what is going on around them.

ibleedbrown

Yesterday was a light day so after I delivered an add/cut I ran off a moved. As I was leaving that stop and heading to start my pickups I came upon a pkg car parked on the side of the road. The driver had just completed the stop on the right side of the road and I assumed he was getting ready to drive to the next stop. I tooted the horn and began to pass him on the left when all of a sudden he darts out from in front of the package car to deliver the stop on the left hand side of the road.

just playing devils advocate here and thinking like a sup.
i thought it was against the methods to deliver across the street on a busy road? if it wasn't a busy road why were you driving so fast that it almost became a dangerous situation? you both would have been in trouble had you hit him. seems you tried to follow point 5 of the 5 seeing eye habits, "make sure they see you" communicate in traffic - horn, lights, signals , if you saw him and he did not see you, you didn't do good enough a job because you did not establish eye contact. point 6 and point 8 of the 10 pt commentary. "scan steering wheels" and "eye contact". did you see him in the vehicle? if so, point 6. you should have assumed that he is about to pull from the curb or exit the vehicle, and point 8 did you establish eye contact? only when you have eye contact can you be fairly certain that the person will act in a fairly reasonable manner to avoid a dangerous situation. :peaceful: