Do you believe UPS should be reported to OSHA for not supplying water correctly nor adequately to you and your coworkers? ( On Topic Only Please)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Integrity

Binge Poster
That was rhetorical, and I think you and maybe wally were the only ones who thought I was seriously going to do it. It's meant to point out the inadequacy of a water fountain at the center as being a supply of water on the road. I also already said I come prepared, which should have been the tip off that the other part wasn't literal.

Wow, starting with the personal attacks early, huh? I feel you. You must be throwing a tantrum because someone doesn't agree with you on the internet.

We should use everything at our disposal to fight mistreatment by UPS. I just think It's really bad form to insult other members because you don't agree with their approach.
Agreed.

Integrity

Binge Poster
OK, you didn't say that you will throw a temper tantrum, but you did say that you will drive back to the building every 10 minutes just to get your free water.

I threw in the temper tantrum because that is usually the outcome when a child does not get their way.

I have other higher priority issues to worry about and fight UPS for (better pension, better healthcare, better 9.5 protection, better forced overtime, better harassment protection, better overall working conditions) than to worry about free water.
IMO Your claim to desire to fight UPS fior better working conditions is inconsistent with your denial of UPS’s responsibility to provide drinking water at no cost to all employees. The water must be fresh, pure and suitably cool, and must be available at locations as close as possible to the areas where employees are working.

Enough water should be supplied so employees can count on a sufficient supply of water throughout the entire work shift and they do not feel pressured to drink less water to conserve the supply.

Safety and health professionals provide the
recommendation that during warm or hot weather employees drink four 8-ounce glasses of water, or a total of one quart per hour, throughout the entire work shift. Easy access to sufficient potable drinking water throughout the work shift encourages employees to drink.

Trucker Clock

We should use everything at our disposal to fight mistreatment by UPS.

Not giving you free bottled water to take on your route is mistreatment by UPS? Give me a break.
It is not quite that simple.

According to the law, yes it is. Supply a water fountain with potable water and you're good to go. They don't need to supply bottled water if there is a water fountain. Bring your own jug or bottle and fill it up free of charge. The law does not state that the employer has to provide any vessel to contain that water from the water fountain. That's on you.

I guess you want UPS to buy you a water jug also, along with the free water.

I have bigger battles to fight with the Company instead of free water. But, carry on if you think that is a battle worth fighting. I'm fighting to reduce the 11 hour days, the forced 6th punches, the harassment, etc. Your fighting for free water. Do you see a problem here? Have at it.

1915.88(b)(3)

The employer shall dispense drinking water from a fountain, a covered container with single-use drinking cups stored in a sanitary receptacle, or single-use bottles. The employer shall prohibit the use of shared drinking cups, dippers, and water bottles.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trucker Clock

Your claim to desire to fight UPS fior better working conditions is inconsistent with your denial of UPS’s responsibility to provide drinking water at no cost to all employees.

You keep saying that I denied UPS's responsibility to supply free water. Why can't you read?

I have posted that UPS is required to, and their requirement is met, with a water fountain. Bring your own vessel to contain that free water while you are out on the route.

You have access to that free water. Grab all you want before you leave.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Can you please be less insulting when you are replying not so much to me but to others.

We don’t have to agree but we should respect each other right to disagree.

You keep saying that I denied UPS's responsibility to supply free water. Why can't you read?
Yes I can read. I think you are.
I have posted that UPS is required to, and their requirement is met, with a water fountain.
1915.88(b)(1)
The employer shall provide potable water for all employee health and personal needs and ensure that only potable water is used for these purposes.
1915.88(b)(2)
The employer shall provide potable drinking water in amounts that are adequate to meet the health and personal needs of each employee.
1915.88(b)(3)
The employer shall dispense drinking water from a fountain, a covered container with single-use drinking cups stored in a sanitary receptacle, or single-use bottles. The employer shall prohibit the use of shared drinking cups, dippers, and water bottles.

Fountains may be adequate for inside employees, in my building UPS has decided they are not. They provide water in single use bottles, they provide large igloo coolers, and ice, closer to the work areas than some of the fountains.

Fountains would not meet the requirements for drivers. I don’t think UPS wants to install fountains on their trucks.
Bring your own vessel to contain that free water while you are out on the route.
1915.88(b)(1)
The employer shall provide potable water for all employee health and personal needs and ensure that only potable water is used for these purposes.
1915.88(b)(2)
The employer shall provide potable drinking water in amounts that are adequate to meet the health and personal needs of each employee.
1915.88(b)(3)

UPS clearly has to provide means of dispensing the water to drivers while on route as you see in bold above UPS has 2 options by which to comply.

You have access to that free water. Grab all you want before you leave.
1915.88(b)(1)
1915.88(b)(2)
1915.88(b)(3)

It is not that simple. UPS is responsible to see that each employee has not all they want but an adequate supply based upon health and safety professional recommendations for drinking water requirements for hot weather.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I have other higher priority issues to worry about and fight UPS for (better pension, better healthcare, better 9.5 protection, better forced overtime, better harassment protection, better overall working conditions) than to worry about free water.
Maybe you could negotiate the free water away for some of the above

Integrity

Binge Poster
Maybe you could negotiate the free water away for some of the above
Free water is not a negotiated item. It is a regulated item. Obviously it would be foolish to negotiate for something that is already a requirement.

The quality of the water supply is negotiated. In Art 5 of the Master it reads:

Where the Employer and the Union agree that the local water is not suitable for drinking, the Employer will provide bottled drinking water.

Last edited:

Trucker Clock

Free water is not a negotiated item. The quality of the water supply is negotiated. In Art 5 of the Master it reads:

Where the Employer and the Union agree that the local water is not suitable for drinking, the Employer will provide bottled drinking water.

Red X.jpeg

Trucker Clock

I hope you do better fighting the things you care about than this, otherwise the company is gonna steam roll you.

You know very well that contracts are a give and take. There are compromises.

What do you think the Teamsters will have to give up for UPS to give every driver 10 bottles of water everyday? And if you say "nothing," you are delirious. No insult or bullying intended. There is already a freely accessible supply of water for all drivers. Fill up as many insulated jugs as you want.

Integrity

Binge Poster
IMO In light of OSHA requirements Teamster officials should not entertain drinking water as something that is negotiable because it is already required by law.
What do you think the Teamsters will have to give up for UPS to give every driver 10 bottles of water everyday?
Nothing. When UPS decides that the means they use to supply drinking water is to be single use bottled water then an adequate supply would be 42 of the 8 oz bottles or about 20 of the 16.9 oz bottles. For each driver in hot conditions. They are already required to provide this amount to each driver in hot weather. A cooler with should also be supplied for each truck.

And if you say "nothing," you are delirious. No insult or bullying intended. There is already a freely accessible supply of water for all drivers.
I disagree on your position .

Trucker Clock

They are already required to provide this amount to each driver in hot weather.

They are required to supply drivers with that much water, not necessarily in water bottles. By your calculations, you will probably need 3 of these. Fill them up, free of charge, before you leave at the water fountain and you will have you 300 oz or so of water that will stay cool and last you the entire day.

Yeti.jpg

Integrity

Binge Poster
They are required to supply drivers with that much water, not necessarily in water bottles. By your calculations, you will probably need 3 of these. Fill them up, free of charge, before you leave at the water fountain and you will have you 300 oz or so of water that will stay cool and last you the entire day.

View attachment 392183
We obviously understand the OSHA requirement differently.

In my building UPS has decided to dispense water to the employees as required by OSHA, by the means of single use bottles.

By OSHA requirement, when this means of dispensing is decided by the company, such as in my building, in your opinion how many single use bottles should they supply a driver based upon a 10.5 hour shift in hot conditions?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Same thing. No different. Not an insult. No bullying intended (@qdg2). Stating a fact. Your intended actions were like a child throwing a tantrum.

What you you call it when you said that you would return to the building every 10 minutes to get water? Oh, wait, that's right. you rolled it back and said you weren't serious. Right?

Maybe you get what you deserve.

Like you called me a child throwing a tantrum, realized you violated TOS and tried to roll it back, then attacked me again by saying my skin was thin. I now know everything I need to know about you thanks for the illumination I to your hypocrisy.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

What do you think the Teamsters will have to give up for UPS to give every driver 10 bottles of water everyday? And if you say "nothing," you are delirious. No insult or bullying intended. There is already a freely accessible supply of water for all drivers. Fill up as many insulated jugs as you want.

I'm sorry you are having trouble comprehending. I'll leave you alone, chalking it up to a lost cause.

qdg2

I don't say incredible much...save it for childbirth etc.

Incredible how far some folks will go to argue hydration.

I would think every hourly would be for ANY and EVERY source possible.....and it's availability.

And for the company to be responsible for that hydration in hub, on-road(pkg or feeder)(while on the clock).

And that an employee provide $130 yeti insulated jugs.....in fact 3 of them.

AccidentProne

Bottled water pretty handy in a feeder.....

Want me to hoist a big ole jug while driving? How many time you want me to stop to do this? Serious questions.

And yes, I expect UPS to provide me with drinking water at work. Whatever that takes.
No wonder that all feeder drivers are fat. They cannot even carry a 128 oz or 8 lbs water jug.

Fun fact, everyone on the inside lifts more than 8 lbs, shocker I know, some people have to lift 10 lbs or more. It should be illegal to lift that much weight.

AccidentProne

I don't say incredible much...save it for childbirth etc.

Incredible how far some folks will go to argue hydration.

I would think every hourly would be for ANY and EVERY source possible.....and it's availability.

And for the company to be responsible for that hydration in hub, on-road(pkg or feeder)(while on the clock).

And that an employee provide $130 yeti insulated jugs.....in fact 3 of them.
Because most people are smart enough to realize its cheaper in the long run to keep refilling your own water jugs than to buy new ones every time.

So you $390 in insulated jugs and never have to worry about hot water again or go to the store to buy a case of water (24 ounce) for $12 every three days for a year. Its an investment.

I feel like it would be easier to replace you with a functional feeder driver than it would be to hold your hand every day. You can work inside where there's water fountains everywhere to suit your hydration needs.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Because most people are smart enough to realize its cheaper in the long run to keep refilling your own water jugs than to buy new ones every time.

So you $390 in insulated jugs and never have to worry about hot water again or go to the store to buy a case of water (24 ounce) for $12 every three days for a year. Its an investment.

I feel like it would be easier to replace you with a functional feeder driver than it would be to hold your hand every day. You can work inside where there's water fountains everywhere to suit your hydration needs.
Even Cody gets it

Status
Not open for further replies.