Do you believe UPS should be reported to OSHA for not supplying water correctly nor adequately to you and your coworkers? ( On Topic Only Please)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trucker Clock

Boy, you guys don't really have much in the way of self respect, do you?

I don’t rely on UPS to supply me water, even though they are required to. They buy the cheapest awful tasting bottled water and the drinking fountains are hit and miss for taste.

You’re welcome to fill your water jug at the water fountain before you leave. There is no law to give drivers bottled water.

I'm sorry you support UPS breaking the law. What other laws do you think they should break? Or will you bite your pillow on that one?

Never said I support UPS breaking the law. You said Ilthat. I said to fill your jug with free UPS water before you leave. I also said I can’t understand why drivers can’t come in prepared for the day, with plenty of water.

You may not like it or agree with it but can you at least concede that OSHA regulations state that providing water for employees safety is UPS

I don’t need to concede anything. UPS is required to have potable water available. They are not required to have bottled water.

If a water fountain is not working, bring in the bottled water.

Water fountains satisfy the OSHA requirements.

Every building I’ve been to has multiple fountains. Most even have the newer ones with the built in filter and water bottle filling option.

MJ_C

How does UPS provide water to you and your co workers?

Inside employees?

Drivers?
As far as I've seen in the Raleigh hub, they generally try to make sure water is available and there are ice machines. I'm on the sort aisle so there's not a ice machine close to me, but there are 2 refrigerators and they really do try to keep them stocked. It's hard to get it cold because we end up using it so fast but Raleigh seems to try really hard to keep people hydrated. They walk around with Gatorade and keep water close by and walk around passing out electrolyte freeze pops, so I feel like Raleigh hub does pretty well.

HavenoEDD

there are 2 refrigerators and they really do try to keep them stocked. Raleigh seems to try really hard to keep people hydrated. They walk around with Gatorade and keep water close by and walk around passing out electrolyte freeze pops, so I feel like Raleigh hub does pretty well.
At least your hub is trying. Ours is a bit of a joke.
One ice machine, a water fountain that doesn’t work and if we are lucky a case of water put on the paper work shelf. A case of water every week or so for 65 drivers..hence our drivers have to prepare themselves and have grown accustomed to not looking to the company helping them in the slightest.
We do have sup that brings food for the drivers some days but the kids in the sort and other center moaned and that got shut down. Weird.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I don’t rely on UPS to supply me water, even though they are required to. They buy the cheapest awful tasting bottled water and the drinking fountains are hit and miss for taste.

Me neither. That doesn't remove the responsibility from them.
You’re welcome to fill your water jug at the water fountain before you leave. There is no law to give drivers bottled water.
I never asked for bottled water, and there's no law saying I have to have a jug for water. So what?

Never said I support UPS breaking the law. You said Ilthat. I said to fill your jug with free UPS water before you leave. I also said I can’t understand why drivers can’t come in prepared for the day, with plenty of water.
You use the fact that you think drivers should be prepared as an excuse for UPS not providing water or access to it. I don't know how else to interpret that.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I don’t rely on UPS to supply me water, even though they are required to.
So you do concede that it is a requirement for UPS to supply you with water.
They buy the cheapest awful tasting bottled water and the drinking fountains are hit and miss for taste.
If you think the water supplied by UPS tastes bad you can make a formal complaint to OSHA about this.
You’re welcome to fill your water jug at the water fountain before you leave.
You are not welcome to, you are required to have an adequate supply of water with you. UPS is required to supply it using OSHA acceptable means.
There is no law to give drivers bottled water.
1915.88(b)(3)
The employer shall dispense drinking water from a fountain, a covered container with single-use drinking cups stored in a sanitary receptacle, or single-use bottles. The employer shall prohibit the use of shared drinking cups, dippers, and water bottles.
This is the employers responsibility per OSHA.
I don’t need to concede anything. UPS is required to have potable water available. They are not required to have bottled water.
True
If a water fountain is not working, bring in the bottled water.
Not true.
Water fountains satisfy the OSHA requirements.
They are one means of fulfilling OSHA requirements. I have never seen a water fountain on a package car however.
Every building I’ve been to has multiple fountains. Most even have the newer ones with the built in filter and water bottle filling option.
This is a reasonable means of water provision for some inside workers.

At my building UPS however has decided to use single use bottled water as the means to supply both inside workers and the drivers.

Integrity

Binge Poster
At least your hub is trying. Ours is a bit of a joke.
One ice machine, a water fountain that doesn’t work and if we are lucky a case of water put on the paper work shelf. A case of water every week or so for 65 drivers..hence our drivers have to prepare themselves and have grown accustomed to not looking to the company helping them in the slightest.
We do have sup that brings food for the drivers some days but the kids in the sort and other center moaned and that got shut down. Weird.
Sounds like you have grounds for a formal OSHA complaint.

djcodine

Actually had to deal with osha over this issue. Osha was called in my building for not supplying ice or water about 5 years ago. When its a union work place the first thing they do is contact the union and have the shop steward get involved (one of us got pulled of road and was present when they did there inspection). It took 6 months for them to make a decision (they have 6 months to review there own findings). They forced UPS to not only supply us potted water (tap water is not acceptable under law unless its through a certified filtering system) and they forced them to buy a chest freezer and keep it full of ice for when our ice machine goes down during the summer which happens constantly when its over 100. The exact wording I believe was when over 85 degrees the employer must supply cool water to its employees.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Actually had to deal with osha over this issue. Osha was called in my building for not supplying ice or water about 5 years ago. When its a union work place the first thing they do is contact the union and have the shop steward get involved (one of us got pulled of road and was present when they did there inspection). It took 6 months for them to make a decision (they have 6 months to review there own findings). They forced UPS to not only supply us potted water (tap water is not acceptable under law unless its through a certified filtering system) and they forced them to buy a chest freezer and keep it full of ice for when our ice machine goes down during the summer which happens constantly when its over 100. The exact wording I believe was when over 85 degrees the employer must supply cool water to its employees.
You a real dj?

Trucker Clock

I said I'll drive back to the center to use it. Then someone told me that I was unprepared, and someone else got really turned on and bit his lip.

“I want my free water and dammit I’ll drive back to the building every 10 minutes just to get it.”

“And if I don’t get it, I’m going to throw a temper tantrum. You better watch out.”

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
“I want my free water and dammit I’ll drive back to the building every 10 minutes just to get it.”

And if I don’t get it, I’m going to throw a temper tantrum. You better watch out.”

Who's putting words in whose mouth? Lol. No need to throw a temper tantrum, a call to OSHA will do the trick, I reckon.

Trucker Clock

Who's putting words in whose mouth? Lol. No need to throw a temper tantrum, a call to OSHA will do the trick, I reckon.

OK, you didn't say that you will throw a temper tantrum, but you did say that you will drive back to the building every 10 minutes just to get your free water.

I threw in the temper tantrum because that is usually the outcome when a child does not get their way.

I have other higher priority issues to worry about and fight UPS for (better pension, better healthcare, better 9.5 protection, better forced overtime, better harassment protection, better overall working conditions) than to worry about free water.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
OK, you didn't say that you will throw a temper tantrum, but you did say that you will drive back to the building every 10 minutes just to get your free water.
That was rhetorical, and I think you and maybe wally were the only ones who thought I was seriously going to do it. It's meant to point out the inadequacy of a water fountain at the center as being a supply of water on the road. I also already said I come prepared, which should have been the tip off that the other part wasn't literal.

I threw in the temper tantrum because that is usually the outcome when a child does not get their way.

Wow, starting with the personal attacks early, huh? I feel you. You must be throwing a tantrum because someone doesn't agree with you on the internet.

I have other higher priority issues to worry about and fight UPS for (better pension, better healthcare, better 9.5 protection, better forced overtime, better harassment protection, better overall working conditions) than to worry about free water.

We should use everything at our disposal to fight mistreatment by UPS. I just think It's really bad form to insult other members because you don't agree with their approach.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
That was rhetorical, and I think you and maybe wally were the only ones who thought I was seriously going to do it. It's meant to point out the inadequacy of a water fountain at the center as being a supply of water on the road. I also already said I come prepared, which should have been the tip off that the other part wasn't literal.

Wow, starting with the personal attacks early, huh? I feel you. You must be throwing a tantrum because someone doesn't agree with you on the internet.

We should use everything at our disposal to fight mistreatment by UPS. I just think It's really bad form to insult other members because you don't agree with their approach.

I do appreciate your tenacity. Stay strong and give 'em hell.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Did you personally file the complaint with OSHA?

Status
Not open for further replies.