Do you think OT will ever come back?

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
I have wanted to be a driver for a long time, and mostly because I wanted to
make more than other 50k jobs around here. I know lots of drivers and they’ve all done well for themselves.

Now my time is here and they are saying no more over time which means I won’t be making nearly as much as I thought. It’s kind of disappointing. Even the holidays will be no overtime. I wanted to make a lot so I could save a lot.

My question.. do you think overtime will ever come back? My hub seems to be committed.
I average 45 hours a week, still make between 80-90k a year. Obviously how much you contribute to 401k, IRA, and stocks will determine your take home pay. It’s still a good job even going under 9.5 everyday. Trust me, you don’t really want work 12 hours everyday.

JustDeliverIt

What are they going to do about your pension That's what's holding most of them up.

Pension wasn't the issue here, not that it's anything spectacular or without the issues most of the country is having. They wanted to take Black Friday away as a holiday and give us one rover. We get paid double time for working any holidays, and our OT is triple time. One rover isn't worth it. Some guys want two days to eliminate it, others just want it left alone and take the big pay day.
The other big sticking point was that they wanted to eliminate movements between classifications. The way it is here, we bid every two years and can bid between feeders, package and inside top rate jobs as long as you are qualified to do whatever job you bid. Just bid by seniority and go from there. They wanted to lock everyone in to whatever classification we are now. So if last bid, someone with 15 years bid the last inside job, he's there for life. Only way you could move is thru retirement or termination. It's BS. Put the jobs up and let seniority rule. It's one of the few things your time in is still good for in this company and they want to take it away.
There were some other smaller things to work out but those were the big two.

Pension wasn't the issue here, not that it's anything spectacular or without the issues most of the country is having. They wanted to take Black Friday away as a holiday and give us one rover. We get paid double time for working any holidays, and our OT is triple time. One rover isn't worth it. Some guys want two days to eliminate it, others just want it left alone and take the big pay day.
The other big sticking point was that they wanted to eliminate movements between classifications. The way it is here, we bid every two years and can bid between feeders, package and inside top rate jobs as long as you are qualified to do whatever job you bid. Just bid by seniority and go from there. They wanted to lock everyone in to whatever classification we are now. So if last bid, someone with 15 years bid the last inside job, he's there for life. Only way you could move is thru retirement or termination. It's BS. Put the jobs up and let seniority rule. It's one of the few things your time in is still good for in this company and they want to take it away.
We got a ton of issues here.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
We have lifetime bids.....but only lifetime if you choose to be. You’re free to bid any job you’re qualified for when bid sheet goes up.

Guys switch routes and jobs all the time, it’s not as permanent as you think.

How many floaters do you currently have?

User Name

Only 230 Today?? lol
I worked every day this week and ended up with 40.9 hrs. Probably my the best week I’ve had in a long time. Looking foreward to working less this holiday season and

DeliveryMachine

Do you guys run misloads? Those can really pump up that OT. I’ve gotton over 50 hours the past 2 weeks thanks to misloads. Oh and btw, according to the impact statement on UPSERS, I think once we reach $40 an hour, 45 hours a week puts you right at like $99K. Not too bad in my books

JustDeliverIt

We have lifetime bids.....but only lifetime if you choose to be. You’re free to bid any job you’re qualified for when bid sheet goes up.

Guys switch routes and jobs all the time, it’s not as permanent as you think.

How many floaters do you currently have?

We bid every other February. But as it sits right now, if you are at the last few years a lot of guys who don't want the strain of driving bid an inside job or into feeders. The new language would lock you in your classification for your career unless you had the seniority to bid an open retirement position. It just isn't right IMO. I honestly didn't know they even did lifetime bids anywhere. I'm sure you have movement, and a lot of guys find a route they like and stick with it for their career here so the biannual bid is usually a formality for the top of the seniority list. But it takes away the employees opportunity, which is ultimately the issue.

And we have 4 rovers.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
We bid every other February. But as it sits right now, if you are at the last few years a lot of guys who don't want the strain of driving bid an inside job or into feeders. The new language would lock you in your classification for your career unless you had the seniority to bid an open retirement position. It just isn't right IMO. I honestly didn't know they even did lifetime bids anywhere. I'm sure you have movement, and a lot of guys find a route they like and stick with it for their career here so the biannual bid is usually a formality for the top of the seniority list. But it takes away the employees opportunity, which is ultimately the issue.

And we have 4 rovers.
Yeah it really is amazing how different things are across the country.

Lifetime bids are nice especially if you have a nice route, allows you to really make long term plans.

We get 2 floaters plus 2 days for our birthday. 9 sick days and at just shy of 25 years I have 7 weeks of vacation.

trickpony1

I’ve never understood the yearly bids. Makes no sense to me.

Management loves yearly bids because:
-less work for them having to do it every six months;
-drivers may become miserable on their new bid job. Management likes miserable workers and, most importantly;
-management gets to exert control.

summersaltstains

In the old days a good way to assure you would get at least a 10 hour load was to tell them you needed off early.
Back when volume was low and I got laid off a lot, telling them I would like the layoff that day for my kids doctors appointment or something, that was always the day some guy with an awful route I didn't know would not show up.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Just spoke to sup said overtime is never coming back. He saw the charted plans.

I find that hard to believe. But, since the 9.5 list is an automatic "opt in"

the solution would be to "opt out" per the new contract. After that, it could

be considered a seniority violation worthy of a grievance.