Does anyone else dream of a day when UPS will be a better place to work?

satellitedriver

This job/career does not suck as much as everyone likes to bitch about.
This is why Brown Cafe is such a great pop off valve.
It does bother me sometimes listening to people bitch about being under paid and overworked, while chewing a mouth full of food.

Foamer Pyle

I do not think you will ever see better times at UPS. Just when I think that I have seen the worst, management surprises me with new misery. I work in a smaller center, and this past Monday the overtime hours for just ten drivers was 18 hrs. That is 27 hours at straight time, and they claim volume is down, and we can't have an extra route. Also, today, the manager presented new lunch regulations, and a paper for us to sign for certification. The new rules state that we must take our break in trace, and zero miles are to be driven for lunch. No place to eat on your route? Too bad, pack a lunch. Failure to comply will result in swift disciplinary action. Yup, things just keep getting better. I love it too, that cell phones are not allowed, unless of course, the center sends you a message to phone in ASAP. Or asks you to call another driver to arrange a meet point. Ups has gone down the toilet, and I doubt it will ever be a nice place to work. Sure, you can make a decent living, if you can stomach the ridiculous policies, and harassment.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I do not think you will ever see better times at UPS. Just when I think that I have seen the worst, management surprises me with new misery. I work in a smaller center, and this past Monday the overtime hours for just ten drivers was 18 hrs. That is 27 hours at straight time, and they claim volume is down, and we can't have an extra route. Also, today, the manager presented new lunch regulations, and a paper for us to sign for certification. The new rules state that we must take our break in trace, and zero miles are to be driven for lunch. No place to eat on your route? Too bad, pack a lunch. Failure to comply will result in swift disciplinary action. Yup, things just keep getting better. I love it too, that cell phones are not allowed, unless of course, the center sends you a message to phone in ASAP. Or asks you to call another driver to arrange a meet point. Ups has gone down the toilet, and I doubt it will ever be a nice place to work. Sure, you can make a decent living, if you can stomach the ridiculous policies, and harassment.

You call 10 drivers averaging a 9.8 day excessive? On a Monday?

balland chain

This job/career does not suck as much as everyone likes to bitch about.
This is why Brown Cafe is such a great pop off valve.
It does bother me sometimes listening to people bitch about being under paid and overworked, while chewing a mouth full of food.
The job does not suck, just the managers who are terrorist...

Upsmule

I was just having this conversation with a driver this morning. Everyone here has valid and great points, but having been a driver for just over 25 years, I'm just glad I have more days behind me than ahead of me. Because there is no doubt....this is not the same place to work it was not too long ago, sadly. Used to be, I would recommend UPS to anyone. Not now. A lot would depend on exactly what that persons situation is....because they better be prepared to give the better years of their life and their health away first.

Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful for UPS and the life it's provided me with. I understand I'm not making what I do out of the goodness of their corporate heart as well. A bargaining union fought for it period. But alas, times surely have changed on both sides of that table.

Upsmule

It may just be the nature of the beast. These are really messed up economic times we live in....the corporate bottom line will always be the priority for the white collars, and that's fine, since one of the pluses of working anywhere is job security.

The numbers will always have to be crunched. So the ones who produce will unquestionably be expected to produce more and more, because if X number of drivers are getting it done there will never be a need to put in more routes and lesson the stress of the few. Catch 22.

Perspective is key. Difficult but key.

Upsmule

SO....I don't dream of a day when it will be a better place to work. I regret it's no longer the great place to work it once was, and dream of surviving four more peaks :P

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
The Teamsters present two contracts:

Option #1: work an average of 50/hours per week, earn $37 at the conclusion of the contract (average driver earns more than $100,000 per year in Y5)
Option #2: work an average of 40/hours per week, earn $34 at the conclusion of the contract (average driver earns more than $70,000 per year in Y5)

Which do you think would overwhelming pass? ;)

I'd pick option #2 !!!!!!

The whole, you new what you was getting into story don't fly and is a cop out B.S. talk !!!!

We went to driven for good pay and most of us like to work outside in a constant changing environment. Most of us are are hard working.

But just because it was 50+ hr days when we signed up and was that way before we started doesn't mean we should "ROLL OVER & PLAY DEAD " & just except it !!! I'm a fighter & aggressive !!! I've always worked my balls off even B4 U.P.S. but 40 hr week should be any mans right !!! Overtime in most places are an option or done in rotation between workers !!!!

We get payed great hrly rate and unless someone hasn't a clue on budget or maybe they have personal problems causing them to need O.T. we can afford to live on a 40hr week pay.

So many driver going home for the day or more while many of us running till late !!!!

Bull crap, I want pay and family time !!!

I see so many comments on how, We get " payed good $ to deliver & pick up packages" !!!

THIS ISN"T A MINDLESS JOB for an untrained monkey !!!

So Many B.S. comments " You new what you was getting into " !!!!

SHOULD WE JUST EXCEPT IT, HELL NO !!!

You want O.T. then go get it !!!

Soft Wussy roll over play dead and exceptence is not how I roll !!!

We need 40 hr week no matter how many years this job came without it !!!

Optional O.T.

You want overtime guys ?? Go get it. I been on O.T. and 2 jobs in part time and long hours before !!! Doesn't mean I gotta except it !! I am my own man !!!

We need more balls in this contract against cutting routes while many go out with 11+hrs !!

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I'd pick option #2 !!!!!!

The whole, you new what you was getting into story don't fly and is a cop out B.S. talk !!!!

We went to driven for good pay and most of us like to work outside in a constant changing environment. Most of us are are hard working.

But just because it was 50+ hr days when we signed up and was that way before we started doesn't mean we should "ROLL OVER & PLAY DEAD " & just except it !!! I'm a fighter & aggressive !!! I've always worked my balls off even B4 U.P.S. but 40 hr week should be any mans right !!! Overtime in most places are an option or done in rotation between workers !!!!

We get payed great hrly rate and unless someone hasn't a clue on budget or maybe they have personal problems causing them to need O.T. we can afford to live on a 40hr week pay.

So many driver going home for the day or more while many of us running till late !!!!

Bull crap, I want pay and family time !!!

I see so many comments on how, We get " payed good $ to deliver & pick up packages" !!!

THIS ISN"T A MINDLESS JOB for an untrained monkey !!!

So Many B.S. comments " You new what you was getting into " !!!!

SHOULD WE JUST EXCEPT IT, HELL NO !!!

You want O.T. then go get it !!!

Soft Wussy roll over play dead and exceptence is not how I roll !!!

We need 40 hr week no matter how many years this job came without it !!!

Optional O.T.

You want overtime guys ?? Go get it. I been on O.T. and 2 jobs in part time and long hours before !!! Doesn't mean I gotta except it !! I am my own man !!!

We need more balls in this contract against cutting routes while many go out with 11+hrs !!

You seem agitated.

Upsmule

I don't mind the work...please, by all means give me a 10.5 hour planned day every day......

Just leave me the hell alone when I'm done with it in 6!