Does anyone else dream of a day when UPS will be a better place to work?

Upsmule

Telematics is mostly to blame IMO. Thats what has changed this company, and made it a more stressful place to work - period.

I don't get the money aspect.What's wrong with an 8 1/2 hr planned day?
Forget the raises,hire more drivers.
I know my proposed pay scale is ridiculous. I would rather work a reasonable amount of time for a reasonable amount of money. I guess UPS prefers to pay less people more money which I guess is great for some people and not so great for others. Personally, I'm happier when I have more free time not more money.

Indecisi0n

Telematics is mostly to blame IMO. Thats what has changed this company, and made it a more stressful place to work - period.

Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face. They get a system that stops everyone from taking shortcuts and getting done faster than expected. Makes me giggle.

Upsmule

Makes good business sense. I don't blame them, hell if the technology is available use it. Cuts liability costs with insurance, and is an obvious smart way for the ties to actually see what really goes on our there, as if they already didn't know but have long since forgotten!

My beef is with the way those in our center are using it to suit their own needs and their numbers! Screw the guys that are being crushed from the moment they leave the building......so and so has just about finished.....now we begin the PM dispatch and send the horses to wherever the messes are too bad so sad get moving.

That's bull*****

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
yeah ill go help is message i send in and then wen i get in at 7 or 730, and they ask what im doing, im like im taking my lunch. They get so pissed off i love it lol. Freakin idiots lol.

40andOut

For many of us, 25 years ago your dream was reality. Yes the managers were still hard ass you know whats, but I remember a time when our whole center would be rolling in each day after about 7.0 to 8.5 hours. I remember our district manager telling us that the average paid day goal was going to be raised from an 8.4 paid to 8.7 paid! It later went to a 9.2 paid goal. It don't even know nowadays what the ideal average paid day is, judging by the dispatch it has to be over 9.5. UPS makes more money this way (overtime vs putting more trucks on the road).

The only way it will stop is if we get language that allows the driver to bring back stops without being disciplined if he has repeatedly gone over 9.5; and lets the center know well in advance his intention to bring them in. Or paying double time after 10 hours.... Fat chance.

40andOut

yeah ill go help is message i send in and then wen i get in at 7 or 730, and they ask what im doing, im like im taking my lunch. They get so pissed off i love it lol. Freakin idiots lol.

Thanks for the laugh! It reminded me of 30 years ago working part time one night. I was asked to double shift. Time and a half after 5 hours. We were making about $1 less per hour than drivers at the time; the equivalent of $31 per hour for part time work today. I had just finished the 2nd shift with 5 hours of strait time and 6 hours of overtime when the 2nd shift supervisor asked me if I wanted some overtime! He had no idea I had already doubled. So I stayed for 4 more hours untill I said to the supervisor I wanted to go home (15 hours; 10 of it at time and 1/2). Since he did not know who I was he asked where I started the night....Pretty much pulled me by the ear to the punch clock!!!

A

anonymous6

yes.... the Boston Red Sox won a championship after going without one since 1918.

we have the players. just need the right coach.

Brown Dog

Brown since 81
Ovadispatchd, It doesn't sound like your going to be happy working for UPS. It's alot of hours, it can be stressful, and you will feel unappreciated. Think hard about how you want to spend the rest of your life, it goes faster then you think.

satellitedriver

The only way it will stop is if we get language that allows the driver to bring back stops without being disciplined if he has repeatedly gone over 9.5; and lets the center know well in advance his intention to bring them in. Or paying double time after 10 hours.... Fat chance.
Double time after 9.5hrs, then, Triple time after 10hrs.

preload1

Does UPS really think this style of management is sustainable? I mean yea... sure, drivers never quit. They pay us just enough to keep us from walking away from a bad day and never coming back. I know its happened but in comparison to most jobs, probably not that often. Some people think we're crazy for complaining about too many hours especially in this economy.

But I dream of a UPS where a long day is 9 hours, not 12 hours. Hell, I've only been driving for 6 years. Back then going over 10 was a big deal. In my center, I'm constantly hearing about over 11 and over 12. Maybe the next contract needs to have new language regarding OT pay. It seems to me that this is bottom on the union's list of priorities because like I said nowadays the norm is not enough hours at most jobs.

I propose this new scale.

...over 10 double time + 20 minute bonus

...over 11 triple time + 20 minute bonus

...over 12 triple time + 20 minute bonus

Then maybe they'll think twice about abusing us day after day after day with ridiculous amounts of work.

I propose you find another employer. After servicing UPS customer's for 32 years in both hourly and management positions I can tell by your attitude that you need to seek another employer. Then look back over your shoulder and see how much greener the pastures were from where you came. Good luck. You will surely need it.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I guess if you continually lie to yourself in the mirror you probably start believin your own lies. Im just saying thats not a jab at anyone in particular to be honest but everybody whos on the same page and drinks out of the same cup knows what im talkin about. WORD FELLAS LOL.

Indecisi0n

I never understood this. Why not just take your lunch when you are suppose to then you wouldn't have to help anyone? Your just doing more work then your suppose to.