Does UPS hire family?

laffter

We actually have two siblings in preload with one as an hourly and the other a sup. However, the hourly works in unload and is not directly supervised by the sup.

Nimnim

The Nim
They still frown upon having family members of mixed supervision and hourly. Frown upon does not mean refused, they just try to keep them on separate shifts or operational areas. With turnover as it is they don't want to outright refuse a warm body that might push a few packages along a day.

P

pickup

Dave, when I was hired, there was actually a policy concerning nepotism.

I remember seeing that policy on upsers. com That policy stated, amongst other things, that the policy was in effect to avoid even the appearance of nepotism.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Nepotism would be when a member of management uses his/her position to get a family member or relative a favorable position within the company by by-passing the normal hiring process.
I remember seeing that policy on upsers. com That policy stated, amongst other things, that the policy was in effect to avoid even the appearance of nepotism.

What pickup said. When I got hired, the company was very different than it is now.

Even the slightest hint of impropriety was avoided at all costs.

oldngray

nowhere special
What pickup said. When I got hired, the company was very different than it is now.

Even the slightest hint of impropriety was avoided at all costs.

Nepotism still happened but it was done under the radar. I knew a center manager that got 3 of his nephews hired when it was supposed to be no relatives. They had different last names so not that obvious but it was pretty much an open secret.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Nepotism still happened but it was done under the radar. I knew a center manager that got 3 of his nephews hired when it was supposed to be no relatives. They had different last names so not that obvious but it was pretty much an open secret.

Oh yeah, it happened a lot.

Still against official policy at the time.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
My brothers wife was hired as a part timer years ago. She put a few days in before they told her she couldn't work. The same last name must not have tipped them off sooner.

Rainman

Its all good.
There is a father/son combo both working as drivers in the same center in my building. We've had plenty of relatives working as helpers, including several husband/wife teams. I would love to be able to get my wife to be my helper for a few days. I heard that the guys whose wives have worked as helpers don't hear half the grief about the hours anymore.
My oldest is going to work as my helper during winter break this year.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
A former loader of mine had a relative high up in the company. She turned out to be one of the best loaders I ever had. When I saw her relative he asked how she was doing and I all I could say was how she has turned into a great loader.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Call it nepotism if you like but when I was hired I used some inside help to get hired. I had been stationed with a driver at our local AFB and he gave me a positive reference. The DM was also a vet and he said that my status as a veteran weighed heavily in my favor.

I have no problem with someone using a relative to get hired. I do have a problem with them staying on when their performance clearly shows that they should be let go.