Does your safety committee follow the contract?

Nimnim

The Nim
Integrity

Are you employed at united parcel?

Do you have any other hobby other than this brown cafe gig you've got going on?

Are you a boy or a girl?

Were you ever a package car driver at ups?

What's your favorite movie?

Who do you think will win dancing with the stars?

Did you ever catch Swamp People on History Channel?

When is ups ever going to change into the ups we all enjoyed before WE went public?

anonymous,

Are you aware you forgot the sincerely at the end of the post?

Is posting like Integrity the new thing here?

Sincerely,

N

menotyou

bella amicizia
...im a package car driver..our "safety crew" recently asked us to "audit" our loaders..i didnt feel comfortable acting as a supervisor and brought this up at the PCM..i was told i had to do it,so i filled it out during the PCM and handed it right back.....are they nuts?....i should be the one to "write up" for discipline another Teamster?..why are they paying the belt sup.?..to walk around and play on his cell phone..let him fill out something on his blank sheet of paper on his clipboard....
A labor sup in my district informed me it is not our job to supervise. That is what I would tell them. Your "safety crew" is not following the contract.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

A labor sup in my district informed me it is not our job to supervise. That is what I would tell them. Your "safety crew" is not following the contract.

There is a difference between supervising and offering constructive criticism, which is what I think the "safety crew" was being asked to do.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Still, that is not our job. If you have ever read the piece of paper that lists our duties, that is not on there. It is a ploy by management to create dissent.

menotyou

bella amicizia
There is a difference between supervising and offering constructive criticism, which is what I think the "safety crew" was being asked to do.
Doesn't your diad offer the ability to tell the center about your load quality? Yes, it does. That is the extent of constructive criticism I want from my union co-workers. When they decide to bring back the annual employee survey, then I will think about working with them on this issue.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Doesn't your diad offer the ability to tell the center about your load quality? Yes, it does. That is the extent of constructive criticism I want from my union co-workers. When they decide to bring back the annual employee survey, then I will think about working with them on this issue.

Yes, it does, but there are only two lines available for comments.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Not trying to ruffle feathers here, but, how would you like it if an employee who has never driven gave you constructive criticism?

menotyou

bella amicizia
If this employee was able to point out something that would help me I would welcome it.
Why is it that I believe that wasn't intended by guiness413's "safety crew"? Do you watch football? Should cheerleaders start criticizing the quarterbacks?
(I bet money Fox would do this to increase ratings, if they thought of it.)

menotyou

bella amicizia
I think preloaders are sick of constructive criticism. They work their butts off without breaks(at times), for low pay and here come some guys-and girls- who never had to deal with preload B.S., for all they know, and make gobs and gobs of money to do their job (which looks easy from where they stand) telling them how to do their job better. Yeah, that is gonna go over well.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I think preloaders are sick of constructive criticism. They work their butts off without breaks(at times), for low pay and here come some guys-and girls- who never had to deal with preload B.S., for all they know, and make gobs and gobs of money to do their job (which looks easy from where they stand) telling them how to do their job better. Yeah, that is gonna go over well.

I am getting a better understanding of why you have such a hard time at work.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Not trying to ruffle feathers here, but, how would you like it if an employee who has never driven gave you constructive criticism?

So you have driven and that makes you an automatic know-it-all ......maybe the preload is a good place for you.

paidover95

Bubblehead,
"I am no longer the co-chair because the union has stopped all safety comittee activities until further notice in NewEngland.

I obtained the position of co chair by, the other co-chair quit.

I wasnt appointed by anyone,I am the only person in the building on the comittee and willing to do it.

Sincerely,

p

CharleyHustle

...im a package car driver..our "safety crew" recently asked us to "audit" our loaders..i didnt feel comfortable acting as a supervisor and brought this up at the PCM..i was told i had to do it,so i filled it out during the PCM and handed it right back.....are they nuts?....i should be the one to "write up" for discipline another Teamster?..why are they paying the belt sup.?..to walk around and play on his cell phone..let him fill out something on his blank sheet of paper on his clipboard....

I don't think the Safety Commitee or by proxy, the management team in my barn ever really cares or would take much stock in any suggestions or concerns I or other hourly employees voice, solicited or not.

My answers would be something like; "the loader isn't provided enough work area to keep egress under control", "the loader is not provided sufficent time to organize the packages in the proper order".

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

That would be most of the Supes I've had over the years. (30 days on a controlled route doesn't count). As far as pre-loaders, I just deal with the load. If I can get rid of a misload without informing mgmnt I will. I'm not prfect (don't act so surprised!) and I don't expect anyone else to be, as long as the effort is there. Slackers are another story.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I don't think the Safety Commitee or by proxy, the management team in my barn ever really cares or would take much stock in any suggestions or concerns I or other hourly employees voice, solicited or not.

My answers would be something like; "the loader isn't provided enough work area to keep egress under control", "the loader is not provided sufficent time to organize the packages in the proper order".

+1

I refuse to fill out misload cards or rat out my preloader. I will scan and sheet as missed all misloads that I find, but beyond that I just keep my mouth shut and deal with the load, be it good or bad. We work out of a facility that was overcrowded and functionally obsolete before the ink on the blueprints was even dry, and it hasnt gotten any better in the 25 years since then. I see no point in criticizing the work of someone who has been deliberately set up to fail.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

I personally have no problem accepting constructive criticism, as long as the person offering it is open to receiving some back from me. There is a pretty fine line between constructuve criticism and ignorant nit-picking, however, and I dont like it at all when that line gets crossed.