dog bite?

rod

Retired 22 years
I got nipped, a few months back by a dog owned by a quadraplegic. Usually the 24/7 aide holds the dog. This one did not, I bent down to leave the packages inside door and it bit me in the derriere. It hurt like heck. It broke the skin, and had a huge bruise. But I could not report him. I knew it had its shots. And it was only protecting his master. Had it been anyone else I would have reported it, and sued.
And I am a huge dog lover. Never get mad at the dog, just the person who owns it.

I hope you at least reported it to law enforcement. I can see why you felt sorry for this guy but then again what if you were just some little Girl Scout selling cookies? Having a mean dog plus not being able to control it yourself is not a good situation.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I hope you at least reported it to law enforcement. I can see why you felt sorry for this guy but then again what if you were just some little Girl Scout selling cookies? Having a mean dog plus not being able to control it yourself is not a good situation.
Exactly, I love dogs...I had a Rottweiler up until a few years ago..but he was trained and pretty friendly. These people who get large dogs, let them run wild and then act surprised when they bite someone. If you can't control your dog, you shouldn't own one.

Anybody who knows me knows that I am a big baby when it comes to dogs. I love them, I love giving them cookies and taking pictures of them in the cab of the truck, and I shed tears when one of "my" dogs on my route dies.

None of that changes the fact that any dog that bites a person without provocation needs to be put down. Immediately. Simply walking onto someones property to deliver a package is not provocation, and the owner is at fault for failing to properly socialize and secure the animal. Any driver who gets bitten needs to report and document the incident and the dog in question needs to get shot or taken to the vet and euthanized. It is against the very nature of a happy and well socialized dog to bite a person for no reason and a dog that bites is an unacceptable risk.

Sent using BrownCafe App
My dogs know to stop at property line. Bite for no reason, theres a problem, but if you walk up trying to be a boss or macho man then theyll bite. Its all about ur posture.(obviously you have not learned that yet)

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
My dogs know to stop at property line. Bite for no reason, theres a problem, but if you walk up trying to be a boss or macho man then theyll bite. Its all about ur posture.(obviously you have not learned that yet)
It depends on the dog...every animal is different. I was petting someone's pitbull once years ago. They walked by....dog's on a leash, I asked the owner's permission, she gushed about how friendly he was. He was all excited and friendly...10 seconds into petting his head...he bit down on my hand...punctured the skin. Wasn't a bad bite...but you never know how a dog will react.

rod

Retired 22 years

Are you sure you're not my brother-in-law. You know--the one who said his dog would never bite. The one who ended up in court after his dog bit a little girl in the face.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Probably should have, no I didnt. The dog rides around on his wheelchair. there are tons of kids around playing with the daughter everyday. I stuck my body through the door, jingling, jangling, scruffy looking in hoodie, etc, big clunky boots. I know why he did it. Not a big dog, just a Bijon. I know what the guy has been through, besides being shot and paralyzed, lost his wife, and a son, dont need to pile it on.

Are you sure you're not my brother-in-law. You know--the one who said his dog would never bite. The one who ended up in court after his dog bit a little girl in the face.
Yea im sure, my dogs are good with kids, unless they are on bikes. But then again you never know with dogs, so if kids are around, my dogs are put up or supervised. Im not willing to take that chance. The way I look at it, is if you get bit deal with it or avoid dogs all together. Even the nicest dogs will bite.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yea im sure, my dogs are good with kids, unless they are on bikes. But then again you never know with dogs, so if kids are around, my dogs are put up or supervised. Im not willing to take that chance. The way I look at it, is if you get bit deal with it or avoid dogs all together. Even the nicest dogs will bite.

Deal with it or avoid dogs all together? How about you secure your damn dogs so I can do my damn job?

My dog tried to bite once, but the little bas**** of a kid was poking him with a stick. Should have let Mack take a chunck, but caught his snout mid lung.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I have 26+ years of bite-free experience as a UPS driver, so obviously I HAVE learned about the right way to approach other peoples dogs. And unlike you, I am also smart enought to NOT own a dog that would bite someone just because they happened to look a little "macho" while they were delivering a package to me.

Sent using BrownCafe App

I have 26+ years of bite-free experience as a UPS driver, so obviously I HAVE learned about the right way to approach other peoples dogs. And unlike you, I am also smart enought to NOT own a dog that would bite someone just because they happened to look a little "macho" while they were delivering a package to me.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Well congradulations. I was using macho not just for deliveries(read other posts talking about walking up on a dog). But with all ur insight, then you must realise dogs are like kids. I guess you have dogs to just look pretty and let anyone wander on your property. After awhile they get use to the outfit and truck. I remember when if you saw a dog it was enter at you own risk(even if the dog was nice). Your starting to sound like upstate, so why don't you just sheet it and go on your merry way. Instead of crying "I have to report this"

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Well congradulations. I was using macho not just for deliveries(read other posts talking about walking up on a dog). But with all ur insight, then you must realise dogs are like kids. I guess you have dogs to just look pretty and let anyone wander on your property. After awhile they get use to the outfit and truck. I remember when if you saw a dog it was enter at you own risk(even if the dog was nice). Your starting to sound like upstate, so why don't you just sheet it and go on your merry way. Instead of crying "I have to report this"
Your ups driver must like delivering to your house...lol
shutterstock_8100985-100051676-large-1.jpg

Re-Raise

You would never get another package from UPS in my center's delivery area. Call in for directions to the building and come pick up your packages.
And remember not to come walking up looking all macho.. we don't react well to that around here.
Clown

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
My dog is a pet, not a guard animal. Her only role for home security is to bark if she hears or sees someone on our property. Under no circumstances do I want her to bite or be aggressive to anyone. Once I have been alerted, it is MY job to decide if anyone needs to be "bitten", not my dog's, and I have plenty of suitable tools with which to do so if necessary. Anybody who knowingly owns a dog that would bite a person without provocation is an idiot as far as I am concerned, especially if they fail to secure the dog and allow it to pose a threat to delivery people.

Sent using BrownCafe App