Dog bites taking a bite out of profits

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Screw the panel. If no other options are available, you're suppose to just allow the dog to attack?

Makes sense to me.

What part of "we are not allowed to carry weapons" are you having difficulty with?

If you are involved in an altercation with an individual or an animal and you decide to use a weapon you will be automatically terminated with zero chance of getting your job back.

Ghost in the Darkness

If you are involved in an altercation with an individual or an animal and you decide to use a weapon you will be automatically terminated with zero chance of getting your job back.
I would think if someone was put in a position to defend themselves its likely a life or death situation. I know if my choice is between keeping my job or ensuring I see another day, its an easy choice.

I'm not advocating carrying or not but I know some of you have routes in bad areas. I am fortunate that mine is not. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

Faceplanted

I would think the DIAD to the nose could do some pretty good damage on most dogs.

Pitbull? Good luck lol
I never understood this... are pitbulls some type of super dog? A true American pitbull terrier should be no more than 45-60lb and poses absolutely no more threat than a black lab....

But hey let's keep listening to the "ban the killer dogs" crowd. Somebody has got to think about the children!!!

With my years of delivering in the hood, pitbulls are easier to read; and in general less human aggressive then most other breeds. Especially chow chows, rotts, dobbies, and German shepherds which I can't get a good read on.

Last edited:

wayfair

swollen member
I never understood this... are pitbulls some type of super dog? A true American pitbull terrier should be no more than 45-60lb and poses absolutely no more threat than a black lab....

But hey let's keep listening to the "ban the killer dogs" crowd. Somebody has got to think about the children!!!

With my years of delivering in the hood, pitbulls are easier to read; and in general less human aggressive then most other breeds. Especially chow chows, rotts, dobbies, and German shepherds which I can't get a good read on.

Pit bull attacks grandmother and 2 young children in southern Michigan

Pit bull attacks woman and two dogs in Ocean Pines

Michigan toddler at Riley Hospital after pit bull attack

Girl, 11, killed in pit bull attack

I just googled "pitbull attacks April 2017"

The ones on my route, you wouldn't want to get near...

Faceplanted

What is the per capa population of pitbulls? Go to your local shelter, half of the population in there is pitbulls. They are the most treated like crap dog breed out there.

Your posts mean absolutely nothing science wise. Like i said, in my area around the hood there are more pitbulls than any other breed... so magically there will be more pitbull bites. It's how per capa numbers work.

There is not one study out there to prove pitbulls are more human agressive than any other breed. I will say they are more dog agressive, but most terrier breeds are.

The media has this agenda against pitbulls as it gets more views and sounds sensational.

Go to the local jail, you will see more ethnic people in there.. does that mean they are worse people? or does that mean maybe there was an issue with their environment when growing up. Let's not be ignorant or racist to dogs or people.

There was a beegal here localally that bit off a kids face. Everybody started a save the dog campaign for it. If it was a pitbull they would have said to kill it asap. Unbelievable

Orange County family fights to save beagle that bit child

Last edited:

LeaveIt2Griever

FileFileFile
IMG_2127.jpg

My boy Dubee is the most intimidating pit bull there is

Faceplanted

the link you posted was from 2013.

the links I posted were from the last 2 weeks

YMMV
The news will cover "pitbull" attacks more because they sound sensational and will have you tuning in to the 6 o clock news. Golden retriever bites kid doesn't have the same ring to it. I posted that link to show the perception difference. A begal bites a kid and should get a second chance. A pitbull bites and kid and it need to be euthanized right away.

Like I said I would love to see proof/scientific fact that pitbulls are any more dangerous than other breeds. There is proof coming out that states the opposite. They are loving companions for families.

Go to your local shelter this weekend and you will see exactly what I'm talking about with the huge population in there of mistreated and abandoned pitbulls.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Most "Pitbull" news reports rely on the opinion of the officials in determining the actual breed. Local aggressive breed bans also use physical appearance as the deciding factor rather than DNA. There are probably a dozen plus different breeds that get lumped into "Pitbull" and if they were reported as their actual bloodline, we'd likely see a different picture presented. Staffordshire terrier, American Bulldog, Bull terrier, Staffordshire Bull, Dogo Argentino, plus lots of mastiff mixes.

If you cross a lab with a Shepard you can get a dog that some will see as a Pitbull.

The original purebred fighting dogs were also selected for their tolerance of being handled by lots of people. If they bit handlers they were culled out.

The irresponsible breeding happening in backyards can miss this aspect with any breed and create unstable dogs that don't like strangers especially if they're not socialized properly as pups. Add to this the powerful build of boxers, pits, worries rotts etc and it's a recipe for disaster.

A crazy, unstable poodle or beagle is more acceptable and forgivable because of its relative size. And for some reason pits end up in many cases with terrible owners who just want to breed them to sell pups for easy cash. The dogs take the blame for what people do.

Faceplanted

Most "Pitbull" news reports rely on the opinion of the officials in determining the actual breed. Local aggressive breed bans also use physical appearance as the deciding factor rather than DNA. There are probably a dozen plus different breeds that get lumped into "Pitbull" and if they were reported as their actual bloodline, we'd likely see a different picture presented. Staffordshire terrier, American Bulldog, Bull terrier, Staffordshire Bull, Dogo Argentino, plus lots of mastiff mixes.

If you cross a lab with a Shepard you can get a dog that some will see as a Pitbull.

The original purebred fighting dogs were also selected for their tolerance of being handled by lots of people. If they bit handlers they were culled out.

The irresponsible breeding happening in backyards can miss this aspect with any breed and create unstable dogs that don't like strangers especially if they're not socialized properly as pups. Add to this the powerful build of boxers, pits, worries rotts etc and it's a recipe for disaster.

A crazy, unstable poodle or beagle is more acceptable and forgivable because of its relative size. And for some reason pits end up in many cases with terrible owners who just want to breed them to sell pups for easy cash. The dogs take the blame for what people do.
Summed it up 100%. Great to see somebody with actual knowledge on the breed. Iv been around them my whole life and have never had 1 issue.

As stated the game aka fighting pitbulls were chosen because they had absolutely 0 human agression.

The ban in Miami is all about how the dog looks, it could be an American bully which isn't even technically related to an American pitbull terrier but they are still banned.

Guard mastiffs aka cane corsos, and dogo Argentinos which most fake 80lb pitbulls are crossed with are much more prone to human agression.

I rarely ever see true American pitbull terriers any more. Most true apbt of them are way smaller and not as scary looking as all these mixes

I have a American bully/American Stafford mix who is very bulky and muscular but only ways 48lb. She has great temperament with humans but is dog agressive when I'm around. She plays great with other dogs at the doggy day care though.

LeaveIt2Griever

FileFileFile
Damn was that really necessary?? I mean if a big dog is charging at you by all means smack him with the DIAD, but he could have brushed that little guy away with his foot.

dudebro

My brother had one - and while she was a sweetheart, she was also 60 lbs of pure solid muscle. It was like wrestling a live bowling ball. If she was ever attacking something, she posed the threat of 3 black labs.

If they're properly trained and socialized, they're beautiful, intelligent dogs. The problem is when they're not.

wayfair

swollen member
My brother had one - and while she was a sweetheart, she was also 60 lbs of pure solid muscle. It was like wrestling a live bowling ball. If she was ever attacking something, she posed the threat of 3 black labs.

If they're properly trained and socialized, they're beautiful, intelligent dogs. The problem is when they're not.

that's the deal... I'd rather be bit by a 5-15lb dog than a 50-60lb one with jaws like that... sorry @Faceplanted not trying to argue man