DQ on day 2 for van across street backing into my truck on a turn.

11.19igrad

I am in Nashville @ Massman, south center. Drove about last 6 weeks all thru peak, absolutely busted my ass to get better. I went from 3 hrs over to under 30min in a few weeks. My body is broken, just absolutely worked so hard to get ready for Jan qualification.

This :censored2:ing chinese dude, speaks no English, backs and swings out of his driveway right into my truck across the street from him, his passenger bumper edge. I was at the door of the house, just dropped the package and heard a wreck right before I turned around. I get back at 9 pm with my sup totally and rightfully freaked out and long story short, after the union guy trying to argue in my defense, I am DQ. The manager does not call the cops and does not make sure I'm still on the clock during the DQ meeting, which I'm told is in my favor. I'm more concerned that people hitting our trucks while we are doing our :censored2:ing job- bringing people their :censored2:- is still considered an accident. Are we supposed to throw :censored2: from the truck?? We need 70 drivers and these are the games they play?

There needs to be a sensor system that detects when drivers are away from the package car and detects any collision that happens during this time. Unless we are parked in an intersection or obviously insane, its automatically not an avoidable accident. Furthermore, I feel like there should be a voting system by other drivers who vote anonymously if it's not anything costing ups money, (which this wasn't, the driver didn't ask for :censored2: from ups, why would he?) before the driver is disciplined.

I am mortified and humiliated and even though I most likely will get it back, it feels like they would rather cut off their thumbs. We aren't putting ourselves through this :censored2: because we WANT to :censored2: it up.

I think I'm naive and thought hard work meant something here.

Last edited:
I am in Nashville @ Massman, south center. Drove about last 6 weeks all thru peak, absolutely busted my ass to get better. I went from 3 hrs over to under 30min in a few weeks. My body is broken, just absolutely worked so hard to get ready for Jan qualification.

This :censored2:ing chinese dude, speaks no English, backs and swings out of his driveway right into my truck across the street from him, his passenger bumper edge. I was at the door of the house, just dropped the package and heard a wreck right before I turned around. I get back at 9 pm with my sup totally and rightfully freaked out and long story short, after the union guy trying to argue in my defense, I am DQ. The manager does not call the cops and does not make sure I'm still on the clock during the DQ meeting, which I'm told is in my favor. I'm more concerned that people hitting our trucks while we are doing our :censored2:ing job- bringing people their :censored2:- is still considered an accident. Are we supposed to throw :censored2: from the truck?? We need 70 drivers and these are the games they play?

There needs to be a sensor system that detects when drivers are away from the package car and detects any collision that happens during this time. Unless we are parked in an intersection or obviously insane, its automatically not an avoidable accident. Furthermore, I feel like there should be a voting system by other drivers who vote anonymously if it's not anything costing ups money, (which this wasn't, the driver didn't ask for :censored2: from ups, why would he?) before the driver is disciplined.

I am mortified and humiliated and even though I most likely will get it back, it feels like they would rather cut off their thumbs. We aren't putting ourselves through this :censored2: because we WANT to :censored2: it up.

Sucks for you but you are gone.

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs

It doesn't. In fact, it usually gets you more work. That sort of thing can happen to anyone, you just got unlucky. Had it happen to a 20 year veteran not that long ago. He was parked in the right spot and some oblivious soccer mom in her Expedition decided to Mario Andretti it in reverse.

542thruNthru

It's always are fault.

To be honest they were probably going to DQ you anyways now that peak is over. They just used this as the excuse.

Sorry

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

don’t park opposite driveways

pc driving 101

11.19igrad

I was not right behind the guys driveway and there are a million scenarios where we are behind multiple cars, apartments, businesses, etc, just depends. I was performing my job outside of the truck, not able to control anything happening to the truck in that 36 seconds. I dont think its smart to under-estimate the power of leveraging social media in a clever way and a clever attorney. My union reps are pissed so it may turn out I get it back but any employee doing their job away from the vehicle and someone damages runs into UPS property, UPS better go after THAT person, not the drivers job!! What country does UPS think they operate in?? I'm not seasonal, I'm a new 22.4 from preload, I'm not dumb, and I want my fair shot to qualify, im not letting anyone just cheat me out of it. UPS is amazons bitch anyway.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic

Unless you are an insider. The company will drop you. It's a one-and-done deal without the union involved. They hate giving people second chances if they don't have to and qualifying on the second go is very common once you do.

As a general rule of thumb, the more naive you are, the more they want you.

On grid/residential streets you want to park away from driveways (give a clear path for the idiot) or block the street completely. I am of the belief that younger drivers get hit more often as a result, even if it can just be chalked up as bad luck.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I was not right behind the guys driveway and there are a million scenarios where we are behind multiple cars, apartments, businesses, etc, just depends. I was performing my job outside of the truck, not able to control anything happening to the truck in that 36 seconds. I dont think its smart to under-estimate the power of leveraging social media in a clever way and a clever attorney. My union reps are pissed so it may turn out I get it back but any employee doing their job away from the vehicle and someone damages runs into UPS property, UPS better go after THAT person, not the drivers job!! What country does UPS think they operate in?? I'm not seasonal, I'm a new 22.4 from preload, I'm not dumb, and I want my fair shot to qualify, im not letting anyone just cheat me out of it. UPS is amazons bitch anyway.

EA34E316-A008-444D-AB69-5F806F34B363.gif

WTFm8

If that's really the way they want to do this I'll get a lawyer. They are always settling something anyway.

Wait till your hearing, ask for the insurance claim number, and then tell management you’ll be glad to inform the other persons insurance that UPS is claiming you’re at fault and to bill UPS for all damages.

The Driver

I drive.
I know you're angry and I would be, too. Sometimes that's the way the cookie crumbles. You might try talking to them again and respectfully ask for a second chance. Take full responsibility. Be humble. Even though it wasn't in the least your fault, as you're describing it.

barnyard

KTM rider
If I read your post correctly, you heard the guy hit something, you know that he did not speak English, so you spoke to him. Did you immediately report the collision?? If you did not, that is why you are done. You should have learned that at intergrad or whatever driver training you did.

If that is what happened, getting a lawyer will be a waste of time. You did not follow company procedure.

MattM

Was there bad van or truck damage? If there’s no police report, who’s to say it even happened? Sometimes playing dumb and not so honest is how you keep your job.

can you report a rogue collision with no known vehicle? As if you got hit while you were away and only saw some Minor damage later.

they tend to know when trucks are speeding, or question why a driver spent 7 extra minutes somewhere. They should have the data to know the truck was off, parking brake on, and the truck wasn’t moving, right?