Driver parking in marked handicapped spot

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Integrity and Honesty show up in individuals no matter what level of employee.

The overall Integrity of a corporation is just the sum of the integrity of each and every employee.

The question every UPS employee must ask themselves is how much Integrity and Honesty resides inside themselves, at their core?

How about you?

Is Integrity and Honesty at the core of all you do?
The integrity of a company lies in how it’s employees are treated and the example set by upper management. :censored2: rolls down hill, weather it’s a bad attitude or a bad idea.

Sincerely, “My”.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

The overall Integrity of a corporation is just the sum of the integrity of each and every employee.

The question every UPS employee must ask themselves is how much Integrity and Honesty resides inside themselves, at their core?

How about you?

Parking in the handicap spot when in the op’s words there are “hundreds” of spots
open

Has nothing to do with integrity and everything to do with getting :censored2: unloaded in the most efficient way

Boxjockey82

I actually back into 1 of the 3 handicap spots at the police station I deliver to everyday lol. I do it because it's closest to the door but mainly because it keeps me away from other cars. Not once in 7 years have I had the cops or a handicap complain.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
I actually back into 1 of the 3 handicap spots at the police station I deliver to everyday lol. I do it because it's closest to the door but mainly because it keeps me away from other cars. Not once in 7 years have I had the cops or a handicap complain.
And if they did....
"Sir, could you please move."
"No problem, sorry about the inconvenience."
Hands washed.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.

How about you?

I’m guessing you’ve never done this job...

Integrity

Binge Poster
The integrity of a company lies in how it’s employees are treated and the example set by upper management. :censored2: rolls down hill, weather it’s a bad attitude or a bad idea.

Sincerely, “My”.
So you believe your conduct as an employee has no relevance to the overall integrity of your employer?

margaritaville

Dont handicap want to feel independant and like everyone else? There are multiple spots open. So unless the handicap parade pulls up this seems more of an enititlement thing than actually needing the spot. Delivery people sometimes need to block the road for non handicap cars to make a quick delivery too. So if you have to wait 30 seconds like other non handicap people boo hoo. But like i said there are multiple spots open. Being upset about this seems like you are treating other people like crap for no reason and making their lives harder. Also treating your wife like she is either above or below other people by making this such a big deal.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Dont handicap want to feel independant and like everyone else? There are multiple spots open. So unless the handicap parade pulls up this seems more of an enititlement thing than actually needing the spot. Delivery people sometimes need to block the road for non handicap cars to make a quick delivery too. So if you have to wait 30 seconds like other non handicap people boo hoo. But like i said there are multiple spots open. Being upset about this seems like you are treating other people like crap for no reason and making their lives harder. Also treating your wife like she is either above or below other people by making this such a big deal.
Well, that’s a different prospective I’ve not thought of before...

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
oie_animation.gif

Undertow

I realize this may vary by region, but wondering what UPS rules are for drivers parking in marked handicapped spots while doing deliveries. Where I work, the driver does this everyday. Backs in to the handicapped spot closest to the service door, loads up his cart, and proceeds to do his deliveries in the building.

Part of what bothers me is that he doesn't have to. He can back up to the service door, there are hundreds of unused parking spots in the lot everyday, even close to the entrance. Heck, he could double park next to the main entrance and really not be in the way, but yet he chooses to use a handicapped spot.

I'll admit that I am biased as my spouse is disabled and has a disabled parking placard and we frequently use disabled spots when she is able to get out of the house, and it bothers me when they are being abused, regardless of who is doing it.

I'm not trying to be a jerk and call anybody out or put them on blast or get anyone in trouble, but I am so bothered by this. I realize that a driver's job isn't an easy one, but is this something I should attempt to report to UPS or just let it go?

Thanks!!!

View attachment 236990 View attachment 236989
Well to be fair, I can only go on what is seen in the attached photos. I don't see 10 other vacant spots for the disabled and out of the 2 open ones, it appears the delivery vehicle could impede a handicapped motorist from exiting his/her driver door in the event the space to the right of where the brown truck sits were the only available spot for him to pull into. So from what is known, I could understand where someone who has a member of the family who depends on the access those spaces provide could become offended. It's not as if people prefer to be disabled for the sake of getting prime parking spaces. If most had the choice, they'd rather be able to walk from the furthest corner of the parking lot than be dependent on the availability of these spaces. The one sup that ever even brought the subject up with me on a ride along spotted a delivery truck blocking 3 wheelchair spots and said "Don't ever do something that blatant, but if there's several open and you only take one for a brief time than I'm fine with it."

But unless I talked to that very driver, I don't think I could pass judgement strictly on what I see here. He might well have reasons with merit to them as well. I remember many years back some pedestrian began lecturing me about blocking an access ramp he claimed was there for the sake of elderly people in wheelchairs and he became hostile when I pointed out that there were 5 of the exact same pathways and all closer to where he claimed to be going and that none of them had any markings on them. I think most of us don't want to inconvenience anyone else if we can avoid it, but there's a line between someone being put out and a passerby trying to pick a fight. Much of the latest retail construction can often leave the delivery people/vendors at a tremendous disadvantage as to where they can park their vehicles safely without the threat of the vehicles and/or even themselves in danger of getting hit. And at UPS, if the vehicle gets hit even while parked and the police ticket the other motorist, often the company will attempt to discipline the employee regardless. It's possible this driver could be picking the lesser of potential evils he's seeing from his perspective. What's ideal in one person's view can easily be asking for an accident in the other person's world.