Driver to Pilot

dumbpreloader

Currently working preload and flight instructing at a university as well. The bare minimum hours you will need to get into a regional airline to get your ATP license without a degree in aviation will be 1,500. There is no chance UPS will hire someone who just hit their hours in a piston aircraft to get an ATP license, they save that training for the regional airlines. One lady that works the preload with me has a daughter that is flying first officer for UPS who worked the preload for her whole undergrad. She told me that working preload during college is the reason why she got the job. She built up time at a regional airline after getting her minimums at the regional paid for the ATP license and a type rating like most do. After flying for the regional for a while she went to a job fair and talked to some UPS recruiters who said she was still overqualified but her preload experience landed her an interview for the pilot position. Not sure if this would be the case now with all the pilots who have been laid off recently, some of which will already have type rating for the UPS fleet (this equals less training time and the less money UPS has to spend).

rod

Retired 22 years
We had a cute little blond gal preloader who was taking flying lessons and wanted to become a UPS pilot. The last I saw her I ran into her at the Minneapolis airport and she was flying the regional airplanes. I wonder what happened to her? Damn she was cute.

oldngray

nowhere special
We had a cute little blond gal preloader who was taking flying lessons and wanted to become a UPS pilot. The last I saw her I ran into her at the Minneapolis airport and she was flying the regional airplanes. I wonder what happened to her? Damn she was cute.
She might have made more as a preloader than as one of those regional pilots.

barnyard

KTM rider
She might have made more as a preloader than as one of those regional pilots.
There was an article in WaPo about the trailer cities for regional pilots that were near almost all major airports. If I remember, most of them were figuring that it would take 5 years minimum to make it past a regional airline.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
This is me in the left seat of a UPS DC-8 at the Atlanta Airport. Notice the date. My old route was near the Atlanta Airport and had a large private lake with a bunch of Delta pilots living around it. A few of them told me they would rather fly for UPS. A couple of them shook my hand after we came back to work after the '97 Strike. We did have a UPS Co-pilot walk the picket lines with us.
UPSDC8Atlanta.jpg

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
This is me in the left seat of a UPS DC-8 at the Atlanta Airport. Notice the date. My old route was near the Atlanta Airport and had a large private lake with a bunch of Delta pilots living around it. A few of them told me they would rather fly for UPS. A couple of them shook my hand after we came back to work after the '97 Strike. We did have a UPS Co-pilot walk the picket lines with us.
View attachment 325200
That's an episode of Magnum PI

tenor.gif

quad decade guy

Currently working preload and flight instructing at a university as well. The bare minimum hours you will need to get into a regional airline to get your ATP license without a degree in aviation will be 1,500. There is no chance UPS will hire someone who just hit their hours in a piston aircraft to get an ATP license, they save that training for the regional airlines. One lady that works the preload with me has a daughter that is flying first officer for UPS who worked the preload for her whole undergrad. She told me that working preload during college is the reason why she got the job. She built up time at a regional airline after getting her minimums at the regional paid for the ATP license and a type rating like most do. After flying for the regional for a while she went to a job fair and talked to some UPS recruiters who said she was still overqualified but her preload experience landed her an interview for the pilot position. Not sure if this would be the case now with all the pilots who have been laid off recently, some of which will already have type rating for the UPS fleet (this equals less training time and the less money UPS has to spend).
And if there are two applicants with similar experience the chick is going to get the chance or minority or such.

That said, you are well informed and I appreciate it. Like I said, it can be done.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
And if there are two applicants with similar experience the chick is going to get the chance or minority or such.

That said, you are well informed and I appreciate it. Like I said, it can be done.
Agreed. It used to be just management. Now it seems like every hire has a quota. We hired a ton of women last year.