Drivers Forced To Work Undermanned Reload/Twilight

L

lifer

upslocal480--

sorry I am just now getting back to you. yeah I think it works out pretty good for the drivers b/c they can get their trucks set up and get the day started off right.

the youngsters have to pay their dues in the feeder in the morning before they go out on route----but that just makes it that much sweeter when you get enough seniority to get out on the load.

U

ups_vette

over9five:

I could list the many offenses and crimes your brother Teamsters have commited over the years, ranging from taking drugs on the job to stealing merchandise, and still you would not believe they should be written up or fired.

It's fair to say there are people in management, as well as in the hourly ranks, who do not belong where they are. HOWEVER, you are the one who stated "no real Teamster would want a brother Teamster written up for ANYTHING".

YOU STILL DON'T GET IT...AND NEVER WILL!!!!

O

over9five

"The "brother" who is speeding and runs a red light, crashes into a minivan with mother and child inside causing their death"

vette, Heres the saddest part of your story (even though you made this up too, didnt you!)
Management knew this driver was speeding and running red lights (after all, he was paid under an hour and a half every day). But they did nothing because up until that horrible accident, he made the management team proud! Up until that accident, he was the best driver in the center. We all know he speeds and runs red lights, but thats OK! Hes paid under one fifty!
The management team, with their selective blind eye, shares blame in that accident.

T

tieguy

I think you can make a valid case about speeding or safety shortcuts. I think it would be a stretch to say Management knew the guy was running red lights. At least I hope so.

U

ups_vette

over9five:

I know you don't want to hear it, but NO...I didn't make it up. This actually happened.

To further add to your dissapointment, the driver in question was NOT a Bonus driver. Rather than the hour under you suggested in your fantasy senerio, the driver was in fact consistantly an hour, or more, OVER allowed.

I know this dissapoints you, but see, there are drivers who, after taking more than their legaly allowed hour for lunch, speed to make up the time they steal. Isn't it funny that when the same driver has a supervisor with him, he takes his full hour lunch, doesn't speed or go thru stop signs, and is scratch for the day?

I know, you'll say that day wasn't typical. How strange that every time a supervisor goes with a driver, it''s not the normal day. It's uncaney how that happens.

D

dammor

"I know, you'll say that day wasn't typical. How strange that every time a supervisor goes with a driver, it''s not the normal day. It's uncaney how that happens."

Vette, I realize there are drivers that change the way they do their job when a sup is with them, but that statement is very insulting to the majority of us who do our job well everyday.
Most of us care as much as you despite the fact that it would seem some sup's believe we are just out there riding around while eating cheeseburgers 10 hours a day. Did you know any "good" drivers? If so, let us hear about them.........

U

upslocal480

<font color="0000ff">Our last time study results sounds so much like what you guys are talking about. ALL of the drivers that usually stay out late showed up at the center up to two hours earlier than normal and the drivers that typically are already back before reload starts were all pulling in about 6:30pm or later. The old timers that drive the little automatic trucks were all in before 5:00 instead of rolling in after dark. . I've always wondered if those results were normal or not but after seeing what you guys have been saying I guess I have my answer.</font>

P

proups

wkmac: the economy seems to be picking up. All the market reports that I read, and the volume I see, would support that.

Where did all this other stuff come from on this thread?

D

dammor

While you were sleeping Proups. :-)

(Message edited by dammor on September 13, 2003)

T

tieguy

"ALL of the drivers that usually stay out late showed up at the center up to two hours earlier than normal and the drivers that typically are already back before reload starts were all pulling in about 6:30pm or later."

480 unfortunately we see this time and time again. Keep this in mind as you see the debates on this board about time standards and the over allocation of work. There is a percentage of routes that are truly screwed and very difficult to make standards on. Most are not. Most have tough days when the cube size or distribution of stops makes it difficult to get in on time, and other days when the cube size or distribution is much kinder. Yet those drivers who are not doing the job will basically come in the same time each and every day.

U

upslocal480

All I hear from certain drivers here is "If everyone did their jobs right....there would be more routes and you guys wouldn't have to work part-time so long." I'm not sure I completely understand these statements but I think I know where they are comming from. The guys that come back late and bring back almost as many packages from pick ups as they deliverd, yet, stay near their planned time, are the ones that make these statements. They tend to look down on the people that are way under plan and also the ones that are way over plan. I guess that is what you drivers here are referring to when you say "over or under 9.5". In simple terms...is it safe to say that they think we don't have more routes because people are going under plan...yet enough going over plan...to keep the need for more routes on hold because ON PAPER it APPEARS that we don't need more routes?