drop box mishap

iruhnman630

I'm sorry something has apparently gone wrong here for you.

Many of the people who come here looking for advice about their missing packages turn out to be full of crap, hence the long line of questioning.

Unfortunately, as has already been pointed out, no scan = no package = no claim.

jd93

I seem to be having the worst luck lately. Nonetheless, there's probably nothing I can do now. I'll just wait to monday and pray that some miracle happens (either it get scanned in somewhere en route or I get some kind of notification that it's shown up). I'll also probably head to the closest ups store and ask them what if there's any way to the bottom of this (maybe this particular drop box hasn't been emptied out yet?).

Regardless, thanks for the help guys. It was really nice to have a place to vent my troubles and worries.

kingOFchester

How was the label applied to the box? Scotch tape? One strip?

May be in overgoods if label fell off box. I know several drivers that do not scan packages that are picked up. Package looses label in transit and now UPS has a box with no label.

Did you put an invoice, or any address/label within the package?

worldwide

On Tuesday July 9 (4 days ago). I dropped off my RMA nexus 4 at a ups drop box, with the shipping label Google sent me printed on it. It's Saturday and there's still no tracking information for the package on the site. Should I be worried? I live in Vancouver, BC so I would assume that the box is emptied out quite a bit. I really hope it's not lost because then I would be charged $400. Should I for a claim? Start looking for it?

1. Currently, the UPS system indicates a label was printed but there are no scans showing it entered the UPS system. If that remains the case, there will be no claim issued.
2. HIGHLY unusual to not have any type of scan after 4 days. Drop boxes are picked up every weekday around the posted pickup time.
3. If the label fell off the box, it will be sent to overgoods and the details of the phone entered into a database.
4. Call 1-800-PICK UPS and give them all the details about the phone (model #, color, serial #, etc.) and UPS can check overgoods department

Good luck to you. Hope the phone shows up.

jd93

You guys do bring up a good point. I put on the label with scotch tape but I made sure to tape each side. I guess it's definitely possible that it feel off sometime. I'll try calling 1800 pick ups asap tomorrow and look under over goods. Inside the package I have an RMA invoice with my name on it so hopefully I'll be able to claim ownership

Why is it that people will ship something of value to themselves yet half-ass it on the shipping materials? Scotch tape is fine for putting your homework on the fridge. Shipping a package? Use a quality packaging tape.

jd93

One question regarding the over goods though. I've been reading online that the material gets auctioned off. Should I be worried that my phone is already gone? Also, will I have to go to a overgoods locations or can it be done by phone alone?

S

serenity now

jd93, clear out some room for new private messages * you have reached your stored limit

J

jibbs

Personally, I think it was a mistake to drop a $400 item into a dropbox. Should've taken it to a UPS Store or center or given it to a driver on his route.... that way you can witness the package get scanned into the system.

Sometimes, cynicism can be a pretty useful trait to have.

jd93

Private messages have been cleared.

And yes, I understand my mistake of what I did now. This was the first time I`ve every shipped a package. I wish I could take it back, but I really had no idea how the system worked. I`m trying my best to fix my mistake now though.

Necropostophiliac

And yes, I understand my mistake of what I did now. This was the first time I`ve every shipped a package. I wish I could take it back, but I really had no idea how the system worked. I`m trying my best to fix my mistake now though.
"This was the first time I`ve every shipped a package"

Is this a troll alert syntax? hmmmm

UPSGUY72

Didn't you see there was a problem when the scotch tape was sticking to good and you had to keep running your finger or it to get it to stay ?

If there wasn't a label on it and it made it to the UPS building a clerk would have opened it up to see if there was a address on the inside. Some driver put a package with no label in the Post office letter box that usually located near the UPS drop box.

Saying your trying to fix your problem is like trying to use a bucket to save the Titantic from sinking.

jd93

Yea I know it was stupid, and I know fixing my mistake is a long shot, but I still have to try to the best of my ability.

worldwide

One question regarding the over goods though. I've been reading online that the material gets auctioned off. Should I be worried that my phone is already gone? Also, will I have to go to a overgoods locations or can it be done by phone alone?

No, don't be worried - items sit in overgoods for some time before they are sold for salvage. If the item is found, it will be shipped back to you or the original receiver. Give AS MUCH detail about the phone and any additional information you have (address of drop box you dropped it off in, tracking number, etc.). If you had info in the box that had your name and the receivers name, there is a good chance it will be found. Be persistent in your inquiries with UPS.

jd93

Hi everyone I'd just like to update anyone that was wondering what happened.

I called UPS several times, and finally one representative directed to speak with the local drop off building. They called me to say that nothing was found in the drop box and the driver hadn't seen anything there for the passed week. This got me panicking for a while, but about 2 hours later they called me back. They driver had returned to the box and checked the latch and found the package stuck there (but it was so small). Now it's on its way to its destination and everything's good.