Easiest route in the Center

SuperSup

My center is a driver sort/load. Most drivers start at 7:15, I try and keep them under 9.5, so with a half hour lunch, they're done at 5:15. A lot of them are off by 4 -4:30 PM. However, there are some that want the hours, and I take of them also.

rod

Retired 22 years
Rod, a lot of folks dont have it as good as you,everyone is different.
I didnt start at ups till I was 35...so when I'm 65 I will be far from well off.

Sorry if I offended anyone but I still say 30 years is enough time to get your financial life together. I always tell everyone that I wasn't "rich" when I was working at UPS so I really wasn't expecting to be "rich" after retiring. Everyones idea of "rich" is different. I have a friend that could retire but he admits that his lifestyle requires a heavy cash flow (divorced- BIG sports gambler-has to have the latest of everything-rents instead of owns a home) . I don't picture him ever retiring. On the other hand I have another friend that hasn't had a house payment for 15 years-no kids at home- no car payments- paid cash for everthing he owns, but he won't retire either because his wife says he is too young (54). Believe me it is more enjoyable being retired at 53 (when I did) than waiting until your too old to do stuff. All I'm saying is don't work one day more than you have to.:peaceful:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We had a driver who finally retired after putting in 37 years. This had nothing to do with his financial situation as he made a killing when he cashed in his thrift plan and bought stock during the IPO. No, he simply did not have a life outside of UPS and knew that if he retired he would have nothing to do and would drive his poor wife crazy.

As top senior cover driver I run most of the good routes, and I gotta tell ya there just are no good ones left. With all the time taken away and managements mission to keep everyone out for as long as possible there just isn't a milk run left. IMO. our easiest route is one that pulls a satellite trailer 40 miles to two sat drivers, then continues on to his delivery area with anywhere from 70 to 95 delivery stops with around 200-230 pkgs. 12 pickup stops/25 to 30 pieces+ one other pu that sometimes ships out upwards to 150 packages weighing 40-50 lbs. however in the heaviest part of their season they load the trailer during the day(ie counts those all as one piece picked up). The kicker is that you get to your first delivery stop around 11:15 and you have to be done by 16:45 to make meet points with the sat drivers and be back at the building by 18:45 for outgoing air. If you take an hour meal time as prescribed by contract you have 4 1/2 hours to do all your deliveries and pick ups. Some of the cover drivers ( not me) will only deliver 50-55 of the stops and then dump the rest on one of the sat drivers. The route rarely dispatches but management seems to be ok with it.

Sorry if I offended anyone but I still say 30 years is enough time to get your financial life together. I always tell everyone that I wasn't "rich" when I was working at UPS so I really wasn't expecting to be "rich" after retiring. Everyones idea of "rich" is different. I have a friend that could retire but he admits that his lifestyle requires a heavy cash flow (divorced- BIG sports gambler-has to have the latest of everything-rents instead of owns a home) . I don't picture him ever retiring. On the other hand I have another friend that hasn't had a house payment for 15 years-no kids at home- no car payments- paid cash for everthing he owns, but he won't retire either because his wife says he is too young (54). Believe me it is more enjoyable being retired at 53 (when I did) than waiting until your too old to do stuff. All I'm saying is don't work one day more than you have to.:peaceful:
Rod, I agree with what you are saying, unfortunately everyone is not as fast to pick up on that as you obviously have. I didn't start driving till I was 38 and I promise you I can't keep doing this job till I am 68. At 58 now there are mornings I can hardly get out of bed. I want to retire while I can still walk and this coming june I will be done. A twenty year retirement will just have to be enough.

helenofcalifornia

Rod, I think you should start a "Basic Financial Advice for UPSers" which would include your know-how. I wish I was in yours and Wyobill's shoes. I am a single mom living in California with expenses that seem to never end. Braggart!!!!!

UPS is a good job if it is backed up with a second income or if you live in a much cheaper state. Can we say Arkansas or Iowa or Alabama? Wouldn't change my location, just wistfully thinking of your retirement and wish it were mine. Sigh.

New Englander

Today my route was:
In a new V8 Gas Workhorse P57
82 stops, 141 packages. (The 141 was about 25 to 35 high)
5 pick ups, 27 packages
143 miles
Punched in at 0850 was punched out at 1600 with 20 minutes wasted going over my depth of knowledge with the center manager.

That was with no breaks or lunch taken but entered since they had to pay my 8hr minimum anyways.

Today my route was:
5 pick ups, 27 packages
143 miles
Punched in at 0850 was punched out at 1600 with 20 minutes wasted going over my depth of knowledge with the center manager.

That was with no breaks or lunch taken but entered since they had to pay my 8hr minimum anyways.
Here, the next day you would get a twenty stop cut because you under dispatched. And possibly fired because you falsified company documents. Thank you very much for doing a good job.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Today my route was:
5 pick ups, 27 packages
143 miles

You guys don't bonus over there with your routes? Over here, if our dispatch is 10.5 and we come in at 8.5, they pay us for dispatch so an extra 2 hours for a "bonus".

New Englander

Here, the next day you would get a twenty stop cut because you under dispatched. And possibly fired because you falsified company documents. Thank you very much for doing a good job.

Who said I was under dispatched? It worked up to an 8.04 day by UPS's numbers.

UPS doesn't give a crap if we take our lunches - they just want them entered.

Who said I was under dispatched? It worked up to an 8.04 day by UPS's numbers.

UPS doesn't give a crap if we take our lunches - they just want them entered.
In our center that would be an under dispatch...prolly a 7.5 at best. and I was kidding about the lunch, they never say anything about anyone skipping their meal time as long as it is entered also. HOWEVER, if they got really pissed at you, they could claim falsification of records. The fact is, it helps them out when we skip meal time.

New Englander

In our center that would be an under dispatch...prolly a 7.5 at best. and I was kidding about the lunch, they never say anything about anyone skipping their meal time as long as it is entered also. HOWEVER, if they got really pissed at you, they could claim falsification of records. The fact is, it helps them out when we skip meal time.

Remember different time allowances for different area's :)

If your a scratch driver more often then not - you tend to get away with quite a bit. Right or wrong ;)

screamin chicken

I have a pretty good route if my stop count would stay at the 135 where it should, i usually run around 22 stops an hour so my count is alway 140-150 which sucks. I am usually done around 1700. Today I had 143 my 12 pick ups 55 miles and I was done at 17:15 with my hour 10 I clocked out at 19:06.

705red

Browncafe Steward
We had a driver who finally retired after putting in 37 years. This had nothing to do with his financial situation as he made a killing when he cashed in his thrift plan and bought stock during the IPO. No, he simply did not have a life outside of UPS and knew that if he retired he would have nothing to do and would drive his poor wife crazy.
Congrats on your retirement!

Ms.PacMan

I have a question about this - if a driver chooses to work past an age that he could retire, and dies before retiring, does his wife get the pension he earned but never took?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I have a question about this - if a driver chooses to work past an age that he could retire, and dies before retiring, does his wife get the pension he earned but never took?

Under the old Central States IBT Plan, she would get the full pension for a year or two, then its cut in half if I am remembering right. And this depends on if she is the benificery. She might not get anything at all otherwise. I don't know about the new Teamster/UPS Plan. Its late and I am too lazy to look any of this up.

satellitedriver

Last info I got from Central States, says, my pension has to be reduced by 15% for my wife to get 1/2 of my reduced pension.