Easiest route in the Center

browniehound

I used to say the same thing--I have 32 years in, but I need to work one more before I am old enough to get insurance (55). However, my 401K and IRAs are down 50%. We have no bills and did have house that was paid for. We built a new one a couple of years ago, and I always thought we could just sell it when we retired. BUT--it has lost 30% of its value. So, I am not saying that I won't retire, but it certainly is not the sure thing I once thought it was...

Pretender,
OUCH! Still considering the times and what has happened in the stock market you are still OK and doing better than most. If you were 45 instead of 55 you would be a lot better off, obviously.

I still think you're in a good situation though. If you can put off retirement until 62-65 I'm guessing the 401k will regain its value? Problem is you, like most, were counting on it growing 8-10% until you retired. Now it lost half of its value and its too late to sell.

I'm 35 and have learned my lesson. Before this crisis and when the Dow was at 14,000 (can you believe it??) my 401k was kicking ---:greedy:. Now its been cut in half. I don't even look at my statements anymore. I write the date on the outside of the envelope and file it away. It would make me sick if I opened it. If it ever regains its value I will be so much more conservative in my investments.

I was once afraid of missing out the 10-12% stocks can return that I put all of my money into the index funds. What good is that extra 2-4% if you lose 50% in 1 year:whiteflag:??

Even at 35 this economic crisis has impacted my retirement plans. This is a serious crisis and it has been getting worse everyday. Has anyone seen a light at the end of the tunnel yet? Are we now talking 2011 or 2012 until things impove?

InTheRed

You forgot to mention the rural route. 73 stops, 96 pieces. 5 pickups, 5 pieces. 196 miles. I'll take that any day of week, in fact that's exactly what I do :happy-very:.
I cut my teeth on those heavy business routes, I swear I'll never go back to them.

That's easy depending on the weather and what type of truck is assigned to the route.

I'd take a ball-buster heavy commercial route if the truck was a dream to drive.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
That's easy depending on the weather and what type of truck is assigned to the route.

I'd take a ball-buster heavy commercial route if the truck was a dream to drive.

Believe me, it's easy. And when the weathers bad it's even easier :wink2:. You can keep the ball buster, I don't care if it's in a cadillac...

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You forgot to mention the rural route. 73 stops, 96 pieces. 5 pickups, 5 pieces. 196 miles. I'll take that any day of week, in fact that's exactly what I do.
I had one of these for 3 years and loved it, except for mid-October to early April. I jokingly asked my center manager if another driver and I could each bid the same 2 areas and I would run the rural route April to mid-October and then switch to the city route and vice versa. The rural route was nice and the towns were so small I very rarely if ever brought back send agains because if I didn't know someone I always had a couple of stops in each town where they knew everyone in town. I prefer my city run during the winter as they actually plow and salt the roads.

Hedley_Lamarr

Office buildings on Thornall Street in Edison, NJ. About 90 stops, all up and down in the elevators all day long. Empty by 2pm, lunch between 2&3, then pick ups. Again up and down in the elevators, done by 5pm. Easiest day I've ever had at UPS...