eBay switch to ups

Overpaid Union Thug

We do about 10x as much on our Ebay store and

1. UPS will never be as good as USPS for what we need, and
2. UPS will never be secure enough for what we need.

At least with the USPS the handlers put their careers on the line. At UPS, the guy handling my rare gold is the same :censored2: stealing protein bars from the locker room. Pass, pass, pass.

We have a business plan ready to implement in case we lose USPS. Other carriers are just not an option.

I super recommend anyone interested in this check out Ebay forums or see what power sellers of gold and silver have to say.

It is going to be as much of a disaster on Ebay's end as it will UPS. And surprise! The customers and sellers will have to pay for them being monsters. I hope all these :censored2:ers get wrecked by covid, crooked :censored2:s.
Good to hear from a big seller how this will effect you. We mainly ship USPS as well as most of our items aren’t time sensitive and the eBay discount for USPS is decent. We’ve always seen competitive rates when we do ship larger items through eBay with FedEx. On a rare occasion we’ve shipped UPS if a customer asks but I can count on one hand how many times that’s happened this year.

I’ve heard the complete opposite from people in my area. What keeps them (some) with USPS is the essentially free, govt mandated, lowball rates. It’s hard to compete with that. Which is why the USPS, in package anyway, shouldn’t exist.

Mack37

I’ve heard the complete opposite from people in my area. What keeps them (some) with USPS is the essentially free, govt mandated, lowball rates. It’s hard to compete with that. Which is why the USPS, in package anyway, shouldn’t exist.

Many Americans can’t afford UPS and FedEx, guess they aren’t allowed to send packages?

This is the same tired argument. It’s like me saying the US Government should never have allowed companies to encroach on the delivery of mail and parcels in this country. Remind me again who’s been doing it longer?

Poop Head

Judge me.
Many Americans can’t afford UPS and FedEx, guess they aren’t allowed to send packages?

This is the same tired argument. It’s like me saying the US Government should never have allowed companies to encroach on the delivery of mail and parcels in this country. Remind me again who’s been doing it longer?
Maybe you guys should start delivering trampolines and furniture

Overpaid Union Thug

The role of government is to govern. Not provide artificially priced alternatives to the private sector. The original purpose of post offices were for colonists to send messages and mail back to England. Not compete with the private sector to deliver packages.

Mack37

The role of government is to govern. Not provide artificially priced alternatives to the private sector. The original purpose of post offices were for colonists to send messages and mail back to England. Not compete with the private sector to deliver packages.

Then why did they put in the Constitution that post offices could be established? One of the few things they thought the government should handle apparently. Nobody was forced to get into the mail/parcel business.

Poop Head

Judge me.
Then why did they put in the Constitution that post offices could be established? One of the few things they thought the government should handle apparently. Nobody was forced to get into the mail/parcel business.
I believe it was Thomas Jefferson who said, "..and theyll run like little rabbits, every sunday, delivering nothing but amazon. At a loss, no less."

Overpaid Union Thug

Because back then that was the only line of communication aside from hopping on a horse or carriage yourself to deliver a message to your sister in another state. Mail is going the way of the dinosaur soon. Once the boomers are all gone. That just leaves packages which the post office should not be handling at all. The government should not be competing with private business. Does the government have hair salons? Oil change centers? Or how about supercenters that sell groceries and other items? The question I always ask eBay sellers, or anyone else that relies on the USPS for shipping, is this, how would you like it if the government opened a business just like yours? Would you be able to compete with them? The answer is always no wants people think logically and think it through. The government will always have the advantage. And that’s why they should not be in the business of anything.

AKCoverMan

Mack, I have no problem with competing with USPS. But I do have a problem working hard all week for my company to be profitable, which in turn gives me great pay and benefits and then see one dollar on four skimmed off for federal government. Obviously since the USPS charges rates that cannot cover their cost, it means I am working to pay cost of both my company’s business and USPSs. That’s just wrong.

Furthermore, as a customer I see nothing but bad service from USPS, but my UPS and FedEx shipments are on time and at my door. USPS says that since I live in a “rural area” anything much bigger than a flat requires me to go to the post office so I have to wait till Saturday and give up an hour or two of my day off. I’m not in what I would consider a rural area we have paved streets, paved driveways, street lights, street signs and house numbers. The rural contract carrier drives right by my house, but my packages are marked “undeliverable” at the PO before he even goes on road.

But at least I get a note in my box. My UPS route (not my neighborhood) IS actually in a rural area. My customers are always glad to see me, I’m told almost daily (three times on Friday alone) stories about on line orders that USPS simply returned and didn’t attempt or even leave a note. If I can deliver to their address why can’t USPS?

If USPS wants to accept packages for delivery to an address, they should actually provide this service. And they should charge enough to not lose billions every year. UPS and FedEx make profit while still paying us great pay and benefits.

As an EBay seller sure I would love the lower taxpayer subsidized USPS rate. But one time of having shipments returned and having buyers disputing credit card charges would be enough. Does USPS refund shipping when they refuse to deliver to your customers @Jackburton and @Big Package?

Mack, are you NALC member? If so why does your union allow so much 3rd party subcontracting? When I lived on s postal route that had real USPS carrier the service was good. But still taxpayer subsidized...

AKCoverMan

News flash to UPS rural drivers: if your customers are Amazon Prime and they are constantly having USPS problems I was recently told by Amazon customer service they now have a process to document this and train their system to only use UPS on a particular address. It takes time and persistence, and you have to have documented service fails on previous orders but it can be done. Apparently cheap rates aren’t worth it to Amazon either if the customer isn’t getting the order.

Mack37

Because back then that was the only line of communication aside from hopping on a horse or carriage yourself to deliver a message to your sister in another state. Mail is going the way of the dinosaur soon. Once the boomers are all gone. That just leaves packages which the post office should not be handling at all. The government should not be competing with private business. Does the government have hair salons? Oil change centers? Or how about supercenters that sell groceries and other items? The question I always ask eBay sellers, or anyone else that relies on the USPS for shipping, is this, how would you like it if the government opened a business just like yours? Would you be able to compete with them? The answer is always no wants people think logically and think it through. The government will always have the advantage. And that’s why they should not be in the business of anything.

The post office has been delivering packages since 1792. It was the founders of UPS that decided to get into a business that the government already handled at the time. You don’t get to say “well now we want more business so it’s time to do away with the whole government thing that started it all”. Once the boomers are gone, most Republican power will leave with them. I doubt the Democrats are going to let USPS go anywhere as they see it as an affordable service for millions of Americans. That’s really all there is to it.

Mack, I have no problem with competing with USPS. But I do have a problem working hard all week for my company to be profitable, which in turn gives me great pay and benefits and then see one dollar on four skimmed off for federal government. Obviously since the USPS charges rates that cannot cover their cost, it means I am working to pay cost of both my company’s business and USPSs. That’s just wrong.

Furthermore, as a customer I see nothing but bad service from USPS, but my UPS and FedEx shipments are on time and at my door. USPS says that since I live in a “rural area” anything much bigger than a flat requires me to go to the post office so I have to wait till Saturday and give up an hour or two of my day off. I’m not in what I would consider a rural area we have paved streets, paved driveways, street lights, street signs and house numbers. The rural contract carrier drives right by my house, but my packages are marked “undeliverable” at the PO before he even goes on road.

But at least I get a note in my box. My UPS route (not my neighborhood) IS actually in a rural area. My customers are always glad to see me, I’m told almost daily (three times on Friday alone) stories about on line orders that USPS simply returned and didn’t attempt or even leave a note. If I can deliver to their address why can’t USPS?

If USPS wants to accept packages for delivery to an address, they should actually provide this service. And they should charge enough to not lose billions every year. UPS and FedEx make profit while still paying us great pay and benefits.

As an EBay seller sure I would love the lower taxpayer subsidized USPS rate. But one time of having shipments returned and having buyers disputing credit card charges would be enough. Does USPS refund shipping when they refuse to deliver to your customers @Jackburton and @Big Package?

Mack, are you NALC member? If so why does your union allow so much 3rd party subcontracting? When I lived on s postal route that had real USPS carrier the service was good. But still taxpayer subsidized...

I’m an APWU member as I’m a TTO, NALC is city letter carriers only. No letter carrier work is subcontracted, you’re talking about rural carriers. They belong to the NRLCA and are career employees or casuals working toward being career.

If your service is so bad I suggest talking to the postmaster or supervisor at your local post office. I live in the suburbs and have had nothing but issues with ups and especially FedEx so I guess that means they’re both terrible as well? I’m actually surprised you receive anything from UPS living in a rural area, don’t you all pay the Postal Service to deliver most of that stuff for you?

AKCoverMan

No we do not subcontract out rural work anywhere with the exception of areas of Alaska off the road system we have to ship with local airlines and air taxi services at ups expense. But then usps does same thing at great expense which is Of Course passed on to taxpayers like myself.

My entire route is rural. All my customers packages are delivered to their door, but USPS simply marks “undeliverable” and returns. Maybe the customer gets a note in mailbox somewhere, often not as they can’t get mail at home address for some reason.

In the case of my house when we first moved here all our mail was being returned. I spoke to the post office who turned me over to a very nice lady in Address Management Service who wanted to know if my house was brand new because the usps had no record of my address. This is a 35 year old house in a very well established neighborhood. We finally are getting regular mail at the box but no packages unless they are smalls. I have spoke to management at the PO they are ones who basically told me it’s my fault for not living “in the city”. Seemed to think I was asking for the moon by wanting packages addressed to my house to actually be delivered to my house. I mean the carrier drives right by but again as I said earlier the packages are marked “undeliverable” before he leaves the PO, and his private vehicle is too small to handle packages anyway. No idea why usps doesn’t load up a package car and deliver if they are in the package business.

I get that usps was formed before ups. The point here is ups can do the job, pay its people well, turn a profit, and actually deliver the packages. All with no help from John Q Taxpayer. If the usps want to complete with us great, bring it on, completion produces better result for customers over time. But how much is the government going to chip in toward ups expense? 😏

AKCoverMan

By the way what is APWU and what is TTO? Guessing APWU is another Union but if so why does your union allow so much work to go to non union sub sub sub contractors? I’m guessing the reason my rural contract carrier won’t deliver to me is simply no motivation to do any work because he is getting paid 💩

TSB

Yeah, I'm a road hog
While I think there is room in the delivery market for both USPS and UPS I for one do not envy the USPS person who has to stop at EVERY box to stuff it with "junk-mail" while the UPS person only has to go to their stops and not every address.

Overpaid Union Thug

The post office has been delivering packages since 1792. It was the founders of UPS that decided to get into a business that the government already handled at the time. You don’t get to say “well now we want more business so it’s time to do away with the whole government thing that started it all”.

The post office was actually started in the 1600s before there was even a United States. And, as I stated, its purpose was to send messages and mail across the ocean back to England. Then it morphed into a line of communication throughout the colonies and what later became United States. It was never meant to be in the business of delivering USB cables, snack food, Amazon fire sticks, and etc. to people while competing with the private sector for the same business.

The government is supposed to govern. Not be in competition with its own citizens. Citizens started this country and the businesses that thrive within it. Not the government. If the government is going to continue to compete with its citizens then it should be on a level playing field. Meaning, by the same rules.

But guess what? If those govt mandated price controls disappear and the USPS actually tries to make a profit then most people will bail on the USPS because why pay more for crappy service when there are private sector options that typically perform better. And see what happens to an already inferior service if those pension mandates are reduced or cut. Ya know....the same mandates that pro-USPS people blame for their financial woes. LOL

Once the boomers are gone, most Republican power will leave with them. I doubt the Democrats are going to let USPS go anywhere as they see it as an affordable service for millions of Americans. That’s really all there is to it.

LOL! Yeah! That’s the dumbest crap I’ve read in a while. I promise you there is another Republican for every boomer Republican that croaks. More and more minorities are jumping ship from the left as well. And young people that historically vote liberal because of emotion instead of logic are starting to see the left and it’s Praetorian guard in the media and big government for what they are. Downright dangerous.

Poop Head

Judge me.
The post office has been delivering packages since 1792. It was the founders of UPS that decided to get into a business that the government already handled at the time. You don’t get to say “well now we want more business so it’s time to do away with the whole government thing that started it all”. Once the boomers are gone, most Republican power will leave with them. I doubt the Democrats are going to let USPS go anywhere as they see it as an affordable service for millions of Americans. That’s really all there is to it.

I’m an APWU member as I’m a TTO, NALC is city letter carriers only. No letter carrier work is subcontracted, you’re talking about rural carriers. They belong to the NRLCA and are career employees or casuals working toward being career.

If your service is so bad I suggest talking to the postmaster or supervisor at your local post office. I live in the suburbs and have had nothing but issues with ups and especially FedEx so I guess that means they’re both terrible as well? I’m actually surprised you receive anything from UPS living in a rural area, don’t you all pay the Postal Service to deliver most of that stuff for you?
So why do you think, its ok for the USPS to be getting effed in the A by Amazon?

AKCoverMan

So why do you think, its ok for the USPS to be getting effed in the A by Amazon?

How, exactly, is usps being “Effed in the A” by Amazon? USPS is offering unrealistic low rates and Amazon is using them. Except, as I said earlier, Amazon is figuring out that cheaper isn’t better when it in turn effs your customers in the A! 😏