Electronic Votes: How will they be overseen?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
It was reading a post on FaceBook, where a driver was complaining about not getting one.

He has been out on workers comp.... and is not current on his dues.

Says he should be able to vote, because this affects him also.

Pfft.

-Bug-
I asked you once before, but for whatever reason you chose not to answer, so I'll ask again....

....do those employees who elect not to join the Union and pay dues in Right To Work states still get to vote on their collective bargaining agreement???

Seems like they would, seeing the Union is still duty-bound to represent them in disciplinary actions....

~Bbbl~™

Last edited:

PT Car Washer

I asked you once before, but for whatever reason you chose not to answer, so I'll ask again....

....do those employees who elect not to join the Union and pay dues in Right To Work state still get to vote on their collective bargaining agreement???

Seems like they would, seeing the Union is still duty-bound to represent them in disciplinary actions....

~Bbbl~™
No you do not get to vote if your dues are not paid up to date. You are right that the Union has to represent non Union employees in a bargaining unit job but they do not have any rights as far as being a steward or holding Union office or voting in Union elections. What a really dumb question.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
No you do not get to vote if your dues are not paid up to date. You are right that the Union has to represent non Union employees in a bargaining unit job but they do not have any rights as far as being a steward or holding Union office or voting in Union elections. What a really dumb question. x
Look, I don't live and work in a "Right To Work" state and have no first hand knowledge of how it works in it's entirety.

Please explain to me how my question as to whether or not those who choose not to join the Union and pay dues get to vote on a collective bargaining agreement, is any "dumber" than the notion that the Union still has to represent them in the workplace???

Remember, we are not talking about an election, rather ratifying a contract here.

Not having all the answers doesn't make me or my question "dumb", but the same can't be said about the label you assigned it.

Last edited:

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
He doesn't know I have to assume....

....after all I asked twice and only got a "what"???

Wow.

Someone who I consider an intelligent peer.... has to ask this question ?

How would someone pay dues and not be a member ?

If you are in a "right to work" state and don't pay dues.... you don't get to vote.

-Bug-

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
No you do not get to vote if your dues are not paid up to date. You are right that the Union has to represent non Union employees in a bargaining unit job but they do not have any rights as far as being a steward or holding Union office or voting in Union elections. What a really dumb question.
No dumber than working a part time job and expecting full time pay.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Wow.

Someone who I consider an intelligent peer.... has to ask this question ?

How would someone pay dues and not be a member ?

If you are in a "right to work" state and don't pay dues.... you don't get to vote.

-Bug-
I find the whole notion of Right To Work, and how it requires the Union to expend time and resources on "non-members", to be completely ludicris....

....and being fortunate enough to not reside or work in a state with that ridiculous legislation, I simply never expended the energy to try (aside from asking you) to learn the answer.

Again, purely from a devils advocate/semantics standpoint, I see a vote on a collective bargaining agreement to not be parallel to an election for representation.

But with all of that in mind, I will reveal what is now a two part question:

Does that 260,000 number of UPS employees include the RTW scabs, or are the scabs considered non-bargaining unit employees?

~Bbbl~™

SameRightsForAll

Quick question, just curious what measures will be in place to ensure an honest vote count come October 5th?

Anyone know the process and who has and oversees the database of all the current votes?

That will be good information to reassure the membership for an honest voting count.

Many of us share this same concern, especially when any part of the online election process can be outsourced to an untrusted party. However, until an obvious glitch occurs we just have to trust that it's safe and honest.

Time for change

77% of the members, didn't even bother to vote on strike authorization.

That's not much.... to take to the table in negotiations.

The IBT put on a good face, with that embarrassing number.
Maybe if they would have released some info members would have been so fired up likentheybare now and would have hit at least 40%. Bet you anything vote turnout is at least 44%.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I find the whole notion of Right To Work, and how it requires the Union to expend time and resources on "non-members", to be completely ludicris....

....and being fortunate enough to not reside or work in a state with that ridiculous legislation, I simply never expended the energy to try (aside from asking you) to learn the answer.

That reminds me of something else.

In non-right to work states, members that opt out of the Union and are charged "agency fees"

are not eligible to vote either.... as they are not members.

Does that 260,000 number of UPS employees include the RTW scabs, or are the scabs considered non-bargaining unit employees?

I'd like to know the answer to that one.

Is it 260,000 hourly employees..... or 260,000 dues paying members ?

-Bug-

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Maybe if they would have released some info members would have been so fired up like they are now and would have hit at least 40%.

The IBT has never released a "play by play" account of negotiations on any contract.

What a nightmare that would be. People shouldn't have be so consumed, with immediate

gratification on every single "day to day" detail.

And quite frankly.... the members aren't entitled to that.

Bet you anything vote turnout is at least 44%.

I'm not unsympathetic to your position, and other members concerns.

Tell ya what.

How about a friendly wager, between you and I ?

You say the membership is fired up and are predicting a 44% showing.

I say.... the membership is apathetic, and the average will be in the 30% range. (as always)

No prize.. No bragging rights.. No "I told you so".

Just a simple acknowledgement. (or maybe a pizza) :biggrin:

Are you in ?

-Bug-

Time for change

The IBT has never released a "play by play" account of negotiations on any contract.

What a nightmare that would be. People shouldn't have be so consumed, with immediate

Tell ya what.

I say.... the membership is apathetic, and the average will be in the 30% range. (as always)

Are you in ?

-Bug-
Sure I’ll go with over under bet of 40%. Obviously I got over.

Time for change

Tell ya what.

Are you in ?

-Bug-
They have never released a play by play but we had zero idea what we were voting based on. I’d say given the failures of DT and the gang, maybe they should reconsider not releasing a few sticking points when we vote to authorize a strike. Company/IBT pushing awfully hard and appear quite worried so I think they disagree with you on expected turnout. You honestly can say with a straight face the energy isn’t far greater than 2013?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

Tell ya what.

Are you in ?

-Bug-
....but it may have been prudent (and increased voter levels) to inform the membership as to the "sticking points" before calling for a strike vote???

I personally don't think there were any "sticking points" and the draft before us now a done deal, making the whole charade a mute point and a hollow jesture designed to appease those who felt the IBT fell short in 2013-14, as well as a horrendous waste of dues money.

....although now it appears it is being used as a threat to discourage a no vote?

SMH

~Bbbl~™

Time for change

....but it may have been prudent (and increased voter levels) to inform the membership as to the "sticking points" before calling for a strike vote???

I personally don't think there were any, making the whole charade a mute point and a hollow jesture designed to appease those who felt the IBT fell short in 2013-14, as well as a horrendous waste of dues money.

....although now it appears it is being used as a threat to discourage a no vote?

~Bbbl~™
Exactly bubblehead, the IBT completely botched this whole thing and the chickens are coming home to roost.

Shaggysp

I am worried about who else besides me has my code. Did the voting site generate it or was it given to me. By the union? I say this because it says i can change my vote as many times as I want and will only count the last one in which I did. I worry because it only takes 1 minute to enter my code and no other proof of identification is needed. What is stopping a group of 100 people in a room with thousands of codes given to them by the union to do 12th hour votes. I suggest people go out and vote and reaffirm their vote as close to the deadline as possible to stop any possible tainting at the last second