HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
FWIW I average about 80 backs and 10 back-first exceptions a day. It is due to the nature of the route I have, rural residential with long driveways and tight turnarounds. It is what it is. Management does not bother speaking to me about it any more.

Agreed
Management would talk to a driver next to me twice a week about his backing.

1) He's in one of the ruralist areas in our center.
2) He's a Circle of Honor driver

It's reasons like this that UPS drivers show disdain to management that are force-fed goals from an ignorant Atlanta.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Out mgt team would have a collective conniption if one of our drivers posted those numbers.

Putting the car in to reverse does not count as a back if you only travel a very short distance before going forward, such as when you try to do a 360 but don’t quite have enough room to do it in one shot.
I fully respect the right of any management person to have a conniption fit over a metric. Its a free country.

35years

Gravy route
Sober
We are on the same page.
70 backs a day, rural resi.
They rode with me...80 backs, none unnecessary as judged by the safety sup.

Metric...who cares.

By the way the ones who use coasting are not doing something unethical. There is nothing inherently unethical about coasting. There are times when using neutral is actually safer than having it in gear, such as driving down an icy hill..

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We had a driver who was averaging 50-55 backs. Our on car challenged him to lower that number, figuring he would reduce it by 10-15%——he cut that number in half and, yes, he got in at the same time. Can you say unnecessary backs?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I have a residential route with a lot of long driveways. I back a lot (60-70 stops) and don't care about somebody's fantasy numbers. 27 years of safe driving, I know those driveways as well as I know my own.

35years

Gravy route
Is it safer (considering both accidents and injuries) to back up to a garage, or perform a long carry when delivering an un-cartable heavy pkg.?

What if the walkway is potholed?
What if a loose dog is present?
What if the driver has a history of back problems?

The metrics are worthless.
A well planned, unobstructed, controled sighted back is not unsafe.

barnyard

KTM rider
15ish years ago, I was told that I walked to many driveways. 2 months later, I got stuck in a driveway and broke a mirror getting out. Charged with a crash.

If the driveway looks iffy from the road and I have not been to the address in the past, I walk them off.

I would also imagine that since the OP gets spoken to regularly about backing, he/she is very careful about backing. That is pretty much the key.

15ish years ago, I was told that I walked to many driveways. 2 months later, I got stuck in a driveway and broke a mirror getting out. Charged with a crash.

If the driveway looks iffy from the road and I have not been to the address in the past, I walk them off.

I would also imagine that since the OP gets spoken to regularly about backing, he/she is very careful about backing. That is pretty much the key.
I try to avoid the back first exceptions. The rest of it, I don't give a crap.

Brohn Bron

Just nod politely, and tell them you will "look into it."[/QUOTE]

Thank you! Problem solved!

Further back to what you said, about some guy giving me an arbitrary backing goal. As a proficient cover driver, it is infuriating how they come up with backing goals for split garbage routes. Like seriously wtf. Cannot take them seriously.

Brohn Bron

In my opinion, I am very careful of my backs but also confident in my ability to back. However there is always the fear of accidents and their reprocussions so it has kept me humble about deciding to back. Still very selective about when and where. Obviously this is subjective. Others would say just don’t back, that’s being humble. But that’s not realistic. Just isn’t.

Brohn Bron

I have a residential route with a lot of long driveways. I back a lot (60-70 stops) and don't care about somebody's fantasy numbers. 27 years of safe driving, I know those driveways as well as I know my own.
27 years safe driving (I assume you have the patch). 60-70 stops? My hero. Super impressed! Got Damn!