Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
We had a driver who was averaging 50-55 backs. Our on car challenged him to lower that number, figuring he would reduce it by 10-15%——he cut that number in half and, yes, he got in at the same time. Can you say unnecessary backs?

As told to you by his, "on car." Do you ever question the accuracy of the information told to you by anyone in management?

ManInBrown

It’s real simple. If you must back, do it. Do it safely. It’s just another metric used to break our balls. If I need to back 100 times one day, I’m going to. They can go pound sand

JackStraw

Leave to UPS to put a system in that increases something by 50% and then complain and threaten it's employees for doing that something too many times. LOL.

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
I've always wondered if truck size matters. I have a dinky Freightliner P500 that I swear is smaller than the rest of the other Workhorse P500s and I'm always in the top 10 for backs, yet no one says anything to me about it.

The other guys up there with me drive p1200s and get read the riot act at least once a week about having too many backs.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Quickly shifting the transmission out of reverse and coasting in order to avoid showing up on a report is both dishonest and unsafe.
It is dishonest because it hides the true number of backs and creates an unrealistic standard for other drivers who run the route to meet.
It is unsafe because shifting out of reverse causes the back up lights to turn off. Functioning back up lights are required by law, and are necessary for safety purposes when backing in the dark as well as to allow nearby vehicles and pedestrians to see that your vehicle is moving in reverse.
Dont play stupid number games or worry about stupid reports. If you need to back, leave it in reverse and back safely.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I've always wondered if truck size matters. I have a dinky Freightliner P500 that I swear is smaller than the rest of the other Workhorse P500s and I'm always in the top 10 for backs, yet no one says anything to me about it.

The other guys up there with me drive p1200s and get read the riot act at least once a week about having too many backs.

This is one time when size truly does matter. :)

The larger trucks are typically used for bulk commercial routes with most of their backs to loading docks.

barnyard

KTM rider
Rather than discussing how many backs a driver should not make, the focus should be on the safest backs to make. I am always surprised by how many people will not do the safest back, because it is a blind side back.

We had a guy charged with a crash because he was avoiding a back and a retaining wall collapsed. That was 100% BS. He now does whatever he can to increase his backs.