EXCLUSIVE: UPS dismisses 250 Queens drivers after they protested against long-time employee's dismis

10 point

We should all be concerned?

Don't walk out on your job and you won't get fired. Solidarity is a beautiful thing but not when it comes to walking out. Signs should have been made and a protest in front of the center is what should have happened, not a walk out (maybe a service slow down).

Let's remember who feeds us and our families, its U.P.S. Yes as big of jerks as they can be they are the ones who takes care if us. Not a driver who was wrongfully terminated (who was probably going to get his job back anyways).

Many here will hate my opinion but that's my 2¢

Sent using BrownCafe App
A "slow down" will get you fired as well if proven.

10 point

Pretty difficult to make any money if you're not clocking in. My move would be to spend the time until my termination getting paid while I look for a new job. If they didn't like their UPS job they're really not gonna like whatever other blue-collar work is available.

If that did happen, and all 230 didn't show, that wouldn't change anything. It's not like that's going to convince UPS to bring them back, they've just expedited their termination and now they have no job and no paycheck. That puts UPS in a tough spot for a couple weeks. Maybe they transfer some new drivers in from other centers. But it's not as if the company will fall apart over a few service failures. The company will take its lumps and move on if that happens. But again, it won't.
A "few service failures"? Like possible 40,000-50,000 on 230 no call no shows for one day.

brown_trousers

We should all be concerned?

Don't walk out on your job and you won't get fired. Solidarity is a beautiful thing but not when it comes to walking out. Signs should have been made and a protest in front of the center is what should have happened, not a walk out (maybe a service slow down).

Let's remember who feeds us and our families, its U.P.S. Yes as big of jerks as they can be they are the ones who takes care if us. Not a driver who was wrongfully terminated (who was probably going to get his job back anyways).

Many here will hate my opinion but that's my 2¢

Sent using BrownCafe App
You speak the truth!! Many on this forum believe the contract is a one-way street and UPS are the only ones that should be held accountable to it.

but truth is, the contract goes BOTH ways! How can we hold UPS accountable for their violations of the contract, if we teamsters violate it ourselves.

Johnny Paycheck

Speak softly and carry a big stick.
A "few service failures"? Like possible 40,000-50,000 on 230 no call no shows for one day.
How many were there during peak? Is UPS still doing okay? (Yes.)

But like I said, it won't happen. It's easy to talk big when it's someone else's paycheck that you're talking about but I bet you'd stay and quietly work if it were you. Like these drivers are doing.

One would think union leadership would have threaten a strike. Where's the International?
I won't be striking for the benefit of a dishonest steward.

10 point

How many were there during peak? Is UPS still doing okay? (Yes.)

But like I said, it won't happen. It's easy to talk big when it's someone else's paycheck that you're talking about but I bet you'd stay and quietly work if it were you. Like these drivers are doing.

I won't be striking for the benefit of a dishonest steward.
During peak? Did 230 drivers, at peak, pull a no call no show in one day?

If 230 drivers failed to call in and didn't show up for work you can BET there would be thousands of missed pieces in that building.

Thousands.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Reminds me of a Level 20 who gave me a list and needed them all by 3 days.
I asked for the priority of each of the deliverables in the list and he said they were all priorities. I laughed and asked which were least important then.
I never got an answer so I made my own and I got about half of them done within 3 days.

Johnny Paycheck

Speak softly and carry a big stick.
During peak? Did 230 drivers, at peak, pull a no call no show in one day?

If 230 drivers failed to call in and didn't show up for work you can BET there would be thousands of missed pieces in that building.

Thousands.
Right. My point is that there were already thousands of missed pieces just over 4 months ago at peak and I can assure you the company is doing pretty well. They don't care what the 230 do, they want them gone.

teamster 804

250 Teamsters getting fired not one word about it mentioned on the IBT website.Hoffa and Hall are you guys kidding me or what.The International Brotherhood Of Teamsters not supporting our brothers at this time of major need.If this is not a wake up call for unions in this country i don't know what is.Corporate America is watching this real close. If a major union leader like Hoffa sits back and lets this unfold without a fight unions are done my friends.This company violates our contract day in and day out, if we cant keep 250 Teamsters on the payroll for 90 minutes of a work stoppage we are beyond weak.Whether it was right or wrong we pay dues for leadership and somebody needs to step up to the plate before all these hardworking people wind up in the street with no means of supporting there families.

Karma is a bitch

Be careful what you say
Looks like its time to pull every 804 building out for a day. Every single worker, from drivers,feeders, porters,clerks,car washers,loaders,sitters.etc. every 804 member I every 804 building all at once

10 point

Right. My point is that there were already thousands of missed pieces just over 4 months ago at peak and I can assure you the company is doing pretty well. They don't care what the 230 do, they want them gone.
My point is that 40,000 plus pcs missed in one building, for one day, times however many days they would be out would be total chaos that there's no way that area could catch up for weeks.
Would that help the situation? Prob not.
That would further incite the company but that kind of action is always a gamble.
If you resort to a walk out you better count the cost ahead of time.
I'm sure many of the drivers didn't understand why they were being pulled out of the building at the moment it happened but they had to be pretty fed up with the harassment from UPS IMO.
Did they get locked out? No. Most of them returned and we saw a sup instructing them to return to work. They (most of them) just delayed following instructions.
So were the 20 that were walked out a part of the group that didn't go back to work that day or how did they choose that group of 20 employees?

CharleyHustle

My point is that 40,000 plus pcs missed in one building, for one day, times however many days they would be out would be total chaos that there's no way that area could catch up for weeks.
Would that help the situation? Prob not.

How many drivers didn't walk out in Feb? Now, after seeing the drivers who did walk out start to get fired, they are now going to walk out in support? I think that is a huge reach.

10 point

How many drivers didn't walk out in Feb? Now, after seeing the drivers who did walk out start to get fired, they are now going to walk out in support? I think that is a huge reach.
There were reportedly 20-50 drivers who walked out that did NOT return to work that day as instructed.
Those were the ones I was asking about....if the company walked them out first. (Not the ones that didn't walk out.) Am I missing your point?

Last edited:

10 point

How many workers in this building do you think will walk off right now to cause "40,000" missed pieces? My guess is that after what went down Monday the number would be very close to zero.
Maybe the issue got fuzzy. I will explain.
I was responding to the comment made that the rest of the drivers who got term notices shld not report to work.
I wasn't talking abt the rest of the bldg.
228 drivers deliver at least 40,000 pkgs a day. For all of them not to report wld be total chaos for days.

10 point

You speak the truth!! Many on this forum believe the contract is a one-way street and UPS are the only ones that should be held accountable to it.

but truth is, the contract goes BOTH ways! How can we hold UPS accountable for their violations of the contract, if we teamsters violate it ourselves.
The company breaks it every day in broad spectrum and harasses employees when they get called on it.

10 point

My guess is that after what went down Monday the number would be very close to zero.
The jury is still out on the contract violation of the reported wild cat but we're losing focus on the reason one BA being able to get that many ft drivers to walk. Continuous harassment. That disease is rampant in many buildings.