Express handing resi deliveries to Ground

newgirl

It's a good idea. Express is obsolete. I drive around in concentric circles all day. I drive by half of my p2 trying to make p1. On any given day we could be in one bldg 5x--FO PO SO PUP and DRB. Why not make it denser?

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Uh oh, so the FXG subcontractors are getting squeezed for more production at less pay?

Some of them better call back those seasonal drivers! We're already stretched thin... at this location.

& I heard more of the FXG drivers from my old terminal have moved on in the past month... plus we don't have that crummy DRO program yet to awaken more drivers to jump ship

newgirl

And that's the problem, like Sam said in the other thread Smartpost is crushing ground and peak is going to be a disaster if they don't do something. But I think something had to be announced to move the stock. Listen to the woman's comments in the CNBC video that was posted. She isn't convinced.

It will be fine

Uh oh, so the FXG subcontractors are getting squeezed for more production at less pay?

Some of them better call back those seasonal drivers! We're already stretched thin... at this location.

& I heard more of the FXG drivers from my old terminal have moved on in the past month... plus we don't have that crummy DRO program yet to awaken more drivers to jump ship
We were getting squeezed regardless. This just adds more density. I love it. Bring on the volume!

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Yeah, I was reading the article first... will check it out

Luv deliveries smart post; easy on the body & I feel like an Amazon DSP driver most of the time.

A lot of drivers are using more totes from the belt line more than ever now. The most I've seen OFF peak had 8 totes of smalls to preload into his step van!

upsyo

If I were an Express employee..I'd be pissed. They should organize an National Express call in day to show their displeasure.

MassWineGuy

So is one prediction behind this that the number of P1s will increase? If not, won’t lots of Express drivers face the prospect of working fewer hours a week? I can’t imagine that this wasn’t part of the plan. Still a no layoff policy. But if we starve enough of them, they’ll quit.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
So is one prediction behind this that the number of P1s will increase? If not, won’t lots of Express drivers face the prospect of working fewer hours a week? I can’t imagine that this wasn’t part of the plan. Still a no layoff policy. But if we starve enough of them, they’ll quit.
I’m sure people will be “displaced”.

Serf

I can only imagine some part time AM delivery routes that struggle to get 4 hours would be squeezed even more.
I said this to my manager straight faced (all the rumors of ground taking Express) and I was lied to straight faced.

McFeely

Huge Member
I said this to my manager straight faced (all the rumors of ground taking Express) and I was lied to straight faced.

Your manager may not have heard anything at that point. One of our managers is trying to rearrange route boundaries to make sure work is evenly spread for all the FT drivers in one area and possibly creating a PT position as well.

My guess is this manager didn't know we're about to lose 80% of the stops in this area (it's mainly residential). Guess we'll see how this all shakes out.

McFeely

Huge Member
I just saw a manager on the FB group say he wasn't notified of the change until 1100 on Friday.

We just gained a slew of new hires, I feel especially bad for them. Surprised they didn't do a hiring freeze while they were set to make this drastic change.

bbsam

Staff member
I just saw a manager on the FB group say he wasn't notified of the change until 1100 on Friday.

We just gained a slew of new hires, I feel especially bad for them. Surprised they didn't do a hiring freeze while they were set to make this drastic change.
I’ve been hiring just about anyone who expressed interest. Way over staffed. Or so I thought. Guess not.

McFeely

Huge Member
I’ve been hiring just about anyone who expressed interest. Way over staffed. Or so I thought. Guess not.

We'll be greatly overstaffed when this hits my station.

On the Ground side, I'm wondering how many more drivers the contractor in the area is going to have to hire? Also how many more trucks to purchase?

I'd say 50% of my truck's volume (I drive an 650) is resi P2. That's generally another 60 pieces/stops for Ground to absorb.

MAKAVELI

We'll be greatly overstaffed when this hits my station.

On the Ground side, I'm wondering how many more drivers the contractor in the area is going to have to hire? Also how many more trucks to purchase?

I'd say 50% of my truck's volume (I drive an 650) is resi P2. That's generally another 60 pieces/stops for Ground to absorb.
Supposedly the first Phase will only include freight originating out of Greensboro, NC. But if it shows an increase in profits, I could see them ramping it up pretty quickly.