Express - Post Peak Antics...

SmithBarney

So what craziness is happening in your neck of the woods, I know they always try to cut hours after peak to try to finish the final 1/4 strong..

chris45

Hmmm nothing that I'm aware of...been working 65-70 hrs a week still. My old station would cut every swings hours and try to get mins at the most though

Purplepackage

We are far to short staffed for any antics. I’ve been working 55 hours since peak ended, also 30 minute breaks have become normal and management doesn’t even care

dezguy

Break compliance is now strictly enforced. A month ago, though, they would only suggest you try to get a break. Now guys are getting olcc'd even though they're being sent out over stop count.

McFeely

Huge Member
We're still short staffed and we're still all working OT and working our days off. So many new drivers at our station are struggling to do a half of a route, so everyone else has to finish their route and help them out.

Guess that's what happens when a third of your drivers leave the station in one year.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Break compliance is now strictly enforced. A month ago, though, they would only suggest you try to get a break. Now guys are getting olcc'd even though they're being sent out over stop count.
Everybody should slow down, get their breaks in and start bringing back packages (Dex 01’s) and let the managers explain to their bosses what went wrong.

dezguy

Everybody should slow down, get their breaks in and start bringing back packages (Dex 01’s) and let the managers explain to their bosses what went wrong.
They should but don't. I go out with my number. They know not to ask me to take more.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
And therein lies the source of the adversarial relationship between employer & employee. You end up with @59 Dano with a piece of paper from his boss that says @MrFedEx can do more because it's proven possible in Virtual Reality.
Team Concept died in the 90's when Stockholders became the end game and P-S-P became Pass-Stockholders-the Profit. The roots of the company started dying, and propping up the tree became the strategy instead of restoring a healthy root system.

Excuse me while I now step down from my soapbox.

Cactus

And therein lies the source of the adversarial relationship between employer & employee. You end up with @59 Dano with a piece of paper from his boss that says @MrFedEx can do more because it's proven possible in Virtual Reality.
Team Concept died in the 90's when Stockholders became the end game and P-S-P became Pass-Stockholders-the Profit. The roots of the company started dying, and propping up the tree became the strategy instead of restoring a healthy root system.

Customer service ended up as passe’ to upper management unless some customer loudly complained, then it was pinned on the courier.

Star B

White Lightening
yeah. my weekends my phone is off. dex1s are now normal in my neck of the woods. too much freight. too little bodies.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

Or because others have done it in the real world. No one ever wants to hear that, though, because it's hard to argue with results, so we get the VR straw man.

And here we are, thinking that [insert way of doing business here] is better because a courier posted on a message board that it's been proven possible in Virtual Reality.

Whats in the Box

Every year after peak it’s a “scraping the barrel bottom” mentality of cutting all costs, including coffee cups, ass wipes, and printer paper.

Cactus

Or because others have done it in the real world. No one ever wants to hear that, though, because it's hard to argue with results, so we get the VR straw man.
Then explain why engineers NEVER go out on the road? Or is it because they'd would rather not know and hide behind a computer all day?

And here we are, thinking that [insert way of doing business here] is better because a courier posted on a message board that it's been proven possible in Virtual Reality.
Don't make me laugh (even though you already did.) All the engineers are told by the regional VP's that the expectation numbers will always increase come hell or high water. They're just puppets, you know, like OPS managers.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Then explain why engineers NEVER go out on the road? Or is it because they'd would rather not know and hide behind a computer all day?

Why?

I wanted to accuse you of bringing that up because you know that engineers aren't fast and they'd only slow you down, thereby "proving" that expectations are too high... but you're not smart enough to think up something like that.

Don't make me laugh (even though you already did.) All the engineers are told by the regional VP's that the expectation numbers will always increase come hell or high water. They're just puppets, you know, like OPS managers.

I find it amazing that people who struggle with basic functions of the job have such disdain for anyone who doesn't.

Signature Only

Blue in Brown

Same thing happened at UPS when they went public in 2000

Star B

White Lightening
I wanted to accuse you of bringing that up because you know that engineers aren't fast and they'd only slow you down, thereby "proving" that expectations are too high... but you're not smart enough to think up something like that.
Last time I checked they don't have to get out of the seat in the Sprinter or a van for you to be able to do your job. The only thing that they will impede in a Sprinter will be getting to the bulkhead door unlock, and if they are too stupid to shimmy to the right after you put it in park and pull the keys out of the ign, they deserve the stab in the face to remind them.

The fact that most engi-worthlesses think they are "too good for the road", including ours, belittles the people who are on the road. Yes, it's great that one day I can do 60 on this route, but let me show you the stuff that you can't see on Bing or via the numbers that cause me to be able to only do 45 the other day.

Last edited:

Cactus

Why?

You're obviously not smart enough to answer my question. Dodge the real issues much?

I find it amazing that people who struggle with basic functions of the job have such disdain for anyone who doesn't.
I find it amazing that people like you have such disdain for those who actually go out and do the job.