Extreme heat inside UPS vehicles is oppressive. UPS will not get away with this oppressive treatment forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karma...

I have seen cases where the union and ups will relocate a union member into ups so that member can retire with more years and better working conditions....its been awhile but its an option....I dont know ......

Thebrownblob

I have seen cases where the union and ups will relocate a union member into ups so that member can retire with more years and better working conditions....its been awhile but its an option....I dont know ......
You might be referring to an ADA accommodation. Difficult to get.

Trucker Clock

There is a clear cut contractual means of obtaining fans in a package car.

Really?

Yet, you linked a story last week that said UPS denied a driver a fan. The only reason for you to link this story, is to push your agenda that UPS doesn't take their responsibility seriously in helping drivers deal with the heat.

But, the story itself proved that the driver did not request a fan the proper way. So this is fake news you linked to discredit UPS.

Just like the story you also linked last week where the headlines stated that UPS people are dropping weekly. Yet the story only cited 2 cases. More fake news to push your agenda. Where are all these cases at?

You cite inaccurate and misleading articles to push your agenda. That's why nobody takes you seriously.

You just rant on and on and on, cite fake news, and expect people to take you seriously.

Thebrownblob

Really?

Yet, you linked a story last week that said UPS denied a driver a fan. The only reason for you to link this story, is to push your agenda that UPS doesn't take their responsibility seriously in helping drivers deal with the heat.

But, the story itself proved that the driver did not request a fan the proper way. So this is fake news you linked to discredit UPS.

Just like the story you also linked last week where the headlines stated that UPS people are dropping weekly. Yet the story only cited 2 cases. More fake news to push your agenda. Where are all these cases at?

You cite inaccurate and misleading articles to push your agenda. That's why nobody takes you seriously.

You just rant on and on and on, cite fake news, and expect people to take you seriously.

That is correct, requesting a fan via the DVIR Book is not the appropriate way to get A fan. When people have used the proper procedure to get a fan we have never had one denied.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Maybe that’s your experience with OSHA but mine is their quite upfront about coming and putting on a dog and pony show they do not come to talk to you the workers but for more than a few minutes then they sit with management for hours and leave. After that not much changes. Some months later you may hear of a fine and some sort of half baked measure that was put in place for the company to do and it is also only halfway instituted.
This is what you should expect during an OSHA Inspection:

https://www.osha.gov/sites/default/files/publications/factsheet-inspections.pdf

https://www.osha.gov/sites/default/files/2018-12/fy10_sh-20853-10_osha_inspections.pdf

OSHA has been called numerous times that my building due to egress issues, each time they come out a show is put on egress is better for approximately 5 to 10 days and then it goes back to the way it was or even worse.
Did you file a formal OSHA Complaint whe the situation reverted back to unsafe conditions?
The current OSHA visit or investigation was canceled it was due to heat related issues it has not been rescheduled and there has been no more talk of them coming. and even when they were scheduled to come it was hilarious that they called and asked what would be a good day and UPS told them it would be much better if you came two weeks from now so we could prepare. LOL prepare?
Who said this to you?

What did they say?

Did you know what initiated this inspection?
This big scary rules and regulation driven organization meant to protect the workers takes direction from a multinational billion dollar corporation?
I am feeling that this can possibly be explained, IMO more details would be needed to draw this conclusion.

Color me unimpressed.
I’m not putting my hope in bureaucrats.
Nor am I.
My hope is the men and women who actually do the job and our union who actually represents us will listen to us and effectively negotiate for guarantees we desire.
IMO It would be a serious waste of limited negotiations dollars, negotiating for work conditions required by law.

Thebrownblob

This is what you should expect during an OSHA Inspection:

https://www.osha.gov/sites/default/files/publications/factsheet-inspections.pdf

https://www.osha.gov/sites/default/files/2018-12/fy10_sh-20853-10_osha_inspections.pdf

Did you file a formal OSHA Complaint whe the situation reverted back to unsafe conditions?

Who said this to you?

What did they say?

Did you know what initiated this inspection?

I am feeling that this can possibly be explained, IMO more details would be needed to draw this conclusion.

Nor am I.

IMO It would be a serious waste of limited negotiations dollars, negotiating for work conditions required by law.
More than a dozen complaints have been filed by inside employees in regards to egress, to my knowledge OSHA has only been out three times. The company received a fine at least one of those times. Nothing else changed. No one in my building has filed a formal complaint due to heat related injuries. We’ve only had three that I know of out of a group of drivers that number around 300 for the whole building. OSHA was coming out on their own accord. The original meeting they called to ask UPS if they could come and UPS told them it would be better to come a few weeks later. OSHA agreed and then OSHA canceled and I have not heard of a reschedule. I was supposed to be interviewed. I know two of the people who filed the complaints from the inside and they are completely unsatisfied with OSHA to the point they said they would never bother calling them again because it was a joke. 🤷‍♂️

Integrity

Binge Poster
More than a dozen complaints have been filed by inside employees in regards to egress, to my knowledge OSHA has only been out three times.
Each employee that filed the formal complaint has to be asked what was their specific complaint and what was OSHA specific response to this complaint. There has to be one. IMO someone on your end is missing something here.
The company received a fine at least one of those times. Nothing else changed.
How much was the fine?
No one in my building has filed a formal complaint due to heat related injuries.
Ok.
We’ve only had three that I know of out of a group of drivers that number around 300 for the whole building.
3 what?

OSHA was coming out on their own accord. The original meeting they called to ask UPS if they could come and UPS told them it would be better to come a few weeks later. OSHA agreed and then OSHA canceled and I have not heard of a reschedule. I was supposed to be interviewed.
Probably a referral, you need to know who and what initiated this inspection before any real conclusions can be made.

I know two of the people who filed the complaints from the inside and they are completely unsatisfied with OSHA to the point they said they would never bother calling them again because it was a joke. 🤷‍♂️
What was ther specific complaints and what was the response that dissatisfied them?

Thebrownblob

Each employee that filed the formal complaint has to be asked what was their specific complaint and what was OSHA specific response to this complaint. There has to be one. IMO someone on your end is missing something here.

How much was the fine?

Ok.

3 what?

Probably a referral, you need to know who and what initiated this inspection before any real conclusions can be made.

What was ther specific complaints and what was the response that dissatisfied them?
Why do you keep going on and on about this? I already told you these employees were interviewed extensively by OSHA the outcome was not to their satisfaction their words not mine. I think the agreement was something to the effect employees should be allowed to turn the cages off whenever necessary we have since went to a belt system in a building that was modernized. guess what the problem is no better and management still harasses people who shut the belt off. Of course when I’m up there they don’t harass people but when I’m not there or if I walk in early the place looks like a disaster movie.

I do not remember how much the final was but it was fairly substantial if my memory serves me this was approximately seven years ago.

Sorry I forgot to put three heat related injuries in my building with drivers this year.

Why would I need to know who made the referral? I already asked The three employees who had the heat related injuries and they said they did not do it one of them do not wish to talk to OSHA. I will be present for the other two if it ever happens.

The original complaints I told you about were part-time employees complaining about egress.
The most recent visit that was canceled a letter was sent stating it was due to the heat related injury. OSHA called made an appointment that worked best for the company lol and then they canceled and has not given a specific date when they will return. I wonder if they follow your outline? Doesn’t sound like it to me.

Should I call Joe Biden?

Integrity

Binge Poster
Why do you keep going on and on about this? I already told you these employees were interviewed extensively by OSHA the outcome was not to their satisfaction their words not mine. I think the agreement was something to the effect employees should be allowed to turn the cages off whenever necessary we have since went to a belt system in a building that was modernized.
I cannot assess effectiveness of a response to a complaint, every complaint, without knowing the specific complaint and the specific response to said complaint.
I do not remember how much the final was but it was fairly substantial if my memory serves me this was approximately seven years ago.
If people continue to file complaints the fines will get worse. They just have to do it right.
Sorry I forgot to put three heat related injuries in my building with drivers this year.
Reported injuries?

We’re you present for the injury investigation interview?
Why would I need to know who made the referral?
Inspections get assigned priorities. OSHA is collecting a lot of heat exposure data this year. They are in the process of clearer standard for heat exposure in the workplace. Rule making process is under way.
I already asked The three employees who had the heat related injuries and they said they did not do it one of them do not wish to talk to OSHA.
👍
I will be present for the other two if it ever happens.
👍
The original complaints I told you about were part-time employees complaining about egress.
What specifically about it? I know it was a long time ago.
The most recent visit that was canceled a letter was sent stating it was due to the heat related injury.
Did you personally receive this letter.
OSHA called made an appointment that worked best for the company lol and then they canceled and has not given a specific date when they will return.
Not surprising since it was in response to reported injuries.
I wonder if they follow your outline?
I don’t have an outline. I refer to OSHA guidelines and procedures to the best of my ability.
Doesn’t sound like it to me.

Should I call Joe Biden?
No. I wouldn’t.

Thebrownblob

I cannot assess effectiveness of a response to a complaint, every complaint, without knowing the specific complaint and the specific response to said complaint.

If people continue to file complaints the fines will get worse. They just have to do it right.

Reported injuries?

We’re you present for the injury investigation interview?

Inspections get assigned priorities. OSHA is collecting a lot of heat exposure data this year. They are in the process of clearer standard for heat exposure in the workplace. Rule making process is under way.

👍

👍

What specifically about it? I know it was a long time ago.

Did you personally receive this letter.

Not surprising since it was in response to reported injuries.

I don’t have an outline. I refer to OSHA guidelines and procedures to the best of my ability.

No. I wouldn’t.
I think you misunderstand the point of my post I’m not asking you to assess anything. I’m just giving you a brief outline of what has taken place and why people do not trust OSHA. Even with the latest visit they have Shown they are not completely trustworthy and do not follow their own protocol unless it suits them.
Often times after they are gone the hourly‘s that are left behind feel abandoned and in the grasp of an angry management team hell-bent on retaliating. I will grant you this is mostly newer people who do not understand. But consequently most of the people who are affected are The newer people.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I think you misunderstand the point of my post I’m not asking you to assess anything. I’m just giving you a brief outline of what has taken place and why people do not trust OSHA. Even with the latest visit they have Shown they are not completely trustworthy and do not follow their own protocol unless it suits them.
Often times after they are gone the hourly‘s that are left behind feel abandoned and in the grasp of an angry management team hell-bent on retaliating. I will grant you this is mostly newer people who do not understand. But consequently most of the people who are affected are The newer people.
Fair point.

I like to look out for the newer people.

OSHA is definitely not perfect but with persistence and follow through they have been one of my greatest assets in dealing with the culture in this company that lacks integrity to a degree that is and has been my experience when dealing with local UPS management to fairly high local level.

I have dealt with District Managers and Division Managers that IMO should have been fired on the spot for the way they treat people at times.

Thebrownblob

Fair point.

I like to look out for the newer people.

OSHA is definitely not perfect but with persistence and follow through they have been one of my greatest assets in dealing with the culture in this company that lacks integrity to a degree that is and has been my experience when dealing with local UPS management to fairly high local level.

I have dealt with District Managers and Division Managers that IMO should have been fired on the spot for the way they treat people at times.
We can certainly agree on your comment about district division as well as even labor managers.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
Start your day with Integrity…
1660743023994.png

Zowert

LOL. That’s a Fluke infrared intended to read surface temps, not air temp.
That is also from an NBC Fake News bit from NJ in 2019.

“Responsible reporting”… LOL
I’m glad someone caught this. It’s likely picking up the surface temperature from the floor, or simply not getting a good reading. The air temp is obviously going to be lower, however I’m sure it’s still hot as hell in there.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
LOL. That’s a Fluke infrared intended to read surface temps, not air temp.
That is also from an NBC Fake News bit from NJ in 2019.

“Responsible reporting”… LOL
Well now you did it! You went and triggered all the Heat Queens!

Now you go talk them off the ledge...

ezgif-1-5bac44d1a03c.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.