Extreme heat inside UPS vehicles is oppressive. UPS will not get away with this oppressive treatment forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
NEP is at least 3 years, you will definitely be hearing more about this.
Lol, like we've been hearing about plans to fix the loads? Retirees heard that in 1980.

Bottom line is: some occupations are very hot in the summer. Zero you can do about the heat. Personal responsibility tell those working in the heat to be prepared.

Thebrownblob

You had a phone call with an OSHA compliance officer, no?
Yes I did they were the most basic questions Ever, almost like a three year old asked them.

They will get their final report sometime next week. But according to management they feel they passed with flying colors. 🤷‍♂️

Maybe next week they’ll start installing the air conditioners and the water jugs?

Integrity

Binge Poster
Lol, like we've been hearing about plans to fix the loads? Retirees heard that in 1980.

Bottom line is: some occupations are very hot in the summer. Zero you can do about the heat. Personal responsibility tell those working in the heat to be prepared.
Tell that to OSHA.

You won’t.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Tell that to OSHA.

You won’t.
No, because I don't give a :censored2:. Don't need government to tell me to drink water.

8QTCvfH8R3ML.gif

Integrity

Binge Poster
Yes I did they were the most basic questions Ever, almost like a three year old asked them.

They will get their final report sometime next week. But according to management they feel they passed with flying colors. 🤷‍♂️

Maybe next week they’ll start installing the air conditioners and the water jugs?
I see you lack experience in this area.

Probably explains your lack of success with working with OSHA.

Integrity

Binge Poster
No, because I don't give a :censored2:. Don't need government to tell me to drink water.

8QTCvfH8R3ML.gif
Great. Some may need more training, education, and encouragement.

It is clear you don’t care about the marginalized or oppressed workers at UPS.

I care about the marginalized and oppressed workers at UPS.

Thebrownblob

I see you lack experience in this area.

Probably explains your lack of success with working with OSHA.
I doubt I have any less experience than you do and I did not ask for the meeting they asked me. I find them about as important as a boil on my ass. What more would I need to do for them to take action if there was something wrong? As far as I can tell they see nothing wrong it’s hot every year and it cools down it’s been in the 70s for two weeks here after being over 100 for two weeks it’s amazing it’s almost like it’s winding down to fall. I can see you have very little experienced driving a package car because you’ve been sitting in a air conditioner room or in the building for a long time get back to me after you put your time in this package car like I have.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I doubt I have any less experience than you do and I did not ask for the meeting they asked me.
With your cynical attitude towards their questions it is clear to me UPS employees we’re not well represented by you. The company may have been well represented but not the employees.
I find them about as important as a boil on my ass.
Your cynical attitude is IMO hindering your ability to properly protect your employees rights under OSHA.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I doubt I have any less experience than you do and I did not ask for the meeting they asked me. I find them about as important as a boil on my ass. What more would I need to do for them to take action if there was something wrong? As far as I can tell they see nothing wrong it’s hot every year and it cools down it’s been in the 70s for two weeks here after being over 100 for two weeks it’s amazing it’s almost like it’s winding down to fall. I can see you have very little experienced driving a package car because you’ve been sitting in a air conditioner room or in the building for a long time get back to me after you put your time in this package car like I have.
How did you answer the questions?

Regardless, OSHA will be taking action on this issue.

There will be new standards specific to this issue regardless.

Individuals who are jaded and cynical will not prevent progress from being made.

Thebrownblob

You depend on someone to make sure you are doing things like practicing hydrating and you are lost.
With your cynical attitude towards their questions it is clear to me UPS employees we’re not well represented by you. The company may have been well represented but not the employees.

Your cynical attitude is IMO hindering your ability to properly protect your employees rights under OSHA.
Not represent by me? I told them everything they asked, as did the individual that I represented who was the one who had the heat injury. They are not the ones that reported it we don’t know who did or if it was just an auto report from a hospital visit. The individual in question explained to the OSHA employee that they felt the injury was more a cause of them being off for seven months with an off-the-job injury and coming back out of shape in the hottest part of the year.

Would you like to try again?

Every aspect of safety is followed by my management team based on myself and my alternate stewards making sure everyone is hydrated, and able to take breaks any place they choose as long as they need to if they get overheated with no management retaliation, as long as they let them know what’s going on. And guess what we have very few of these type of injuries, and we are an extremely hot environment.
How can I be cynical about something I don’t feel is a huge problem and by the pole I showed you most people feel at secondary you are in the minority sorry buddy. Having said that it would be nice for a negotiating committee to be able to negotiate that in the contract as long as we get the other stuff that people feel is most important fixed first.

Last edited:

Thebrownblob

How did you answer the questions?

Regardless, OSHA will be taking action on this issue.

There will be new standards specific to this issue regardless.

Individuals who are jaded and cynical will not prevent progress from being made.
Progress on what? My answers are not your concern, you are not the arbiter of progress you don’t even know what progress is in this particular issue because you don’t do the job. outside of telling them I thought the back of the truck was the biggest issue. You can get sufficiently cool with both doors open and the air moving in the front of the package car. Not quite as easy in the back.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Not represent by me? I told them everything they asked, as did the individual that I represented who was the one who had the heat injury. They are not the ones that reported it we don’t know who did or if it was just an auto report from a hospital visit. The individual in question explained to the OSHA employee that they felt the injury was more a cause of them being off for seven months with an off-the-job injury and coming back out of shape in the hottest part of the year.

Would you like to try again?

Every aspect of safety is followed by my management team based on myself and my alternate stewards making sure everyone is hydrated and able to take breaks any place they choose as long as they need to if they get overheated with no management retaliation as long as they let them know what’s going on. And guess what we have very few of these type of injuries and we are an extremely hot environment.
OSHA NEP 3 year emphasis program.
Educate yourself, or not. Have at it.

JonDoe

Keep poking the bear Integrity, when they get tired of it they will find a way to get rid of you. Squeaky wheel gets the axe.

Thebrownblob

How about not my problem what a government agency does or does not have going on, I’ll deal with what I have in front of me.

It’s very simple, your answer to the driver is: just hold on the governments coming to help you😂

My answer is:
let’s find solutions right now to help people stay cool and hydrated every day.

If we followed your lead we would just let people get injured or die until the government “fixed” it, I think my way makes more sense.

Please keep waiting for your white night, in the meantime those of us doing the job are looking for real world solutions that work today. Curiously I do find it funny that you’re about to retire and your white night has not shown up even yet, although you’ve been here multiple decades. Thank you.

Last edited:

Thebrownblob

This one? https://www.osha.gov/sites/default/files/enforcement/directives/CPL_03-00-024.pdf

Much of that we already do, the rest of it looks like Nanny State BS similar to the government sliding in the need for interlock devices on new cars in the next few years to make sure you’re not drunk before you drive. Are these the kinds of changes you think are good for everyone? A bureaucratic nightmare that becomes just as much of a burden for the employee as the employer.

Not excluding Management of course but as long as we have a poor performance from the preload…Bad loads, PT sups pushing them to load 2-4 cars no matter the load, open boxes everywhere etc…. we are never going to get better. Management answer, blame the driver and write him up

Status
Not open for further replies.