EZ pass

QKRSTKR

Why don't we know how much we are loading in the trailers tieguy? Is that an excuse for being overweight? We have scales don't we? Why not weight every load after it's loaded to make sure? If it's over, unload and fix.

trickpony1

I don't know what kind of EZ Pass you're using down there but here the EZ Pass can not be used for bypassing weigh stations.

Does anyone really know how much weight they're pulling? Does the company really have any idea how much their loading into the trailer. Your last point is just plain idiotic.

Is my last point really idiotic?
Every package that goes into a trailer has a big bar code on the shipping label. Encoded in that big bar code are things like:
-shipper name;
-receiver's name;
-weight (since we ship by weight);
-shipping charges;
-date shipped
The company can isolate any one of those alphanumeric fields to determine total wieght on a trailer. Simulation uses destination encoded in the bar code to aid in flow control all the time.
Not bad for a "troll" that supposedly doesn't work for UPS but seems to know alot about the inner workings.
PS- no, we don't have scales. We will never have scales because to have scales would acknowledge that there is a problem or potential for a problem of being overwieght. If the company acknowledges a problem then they are forced to deal with it.
Also.....the company is too cheap to install scales.

tieguy

Banned
Is my last point really idiotic?
Every package that goes into a trailer has a big bar code on the shipping label. Encoded in that big bar code are things like:
-shipper name;
-receiver's name;
-weight (since we ship by weight);
-shipping charges;
-date shipped
The company can isolate any one of those alphanumeric fields to determine total wieght on a trailer. Simulation uses destination encoded in the bar code to aid in flow control all the time.
Not bad for a "troll" that supposedly doesn't work for UPS but seems to know alot about the inner workings.
PS- no, we don't have scales. We will never have scales because to have scales would acknowledge that there is a problem or potential for a problem of being overwieght. If the company acknowledges a problem then they are forced to deal with it.
Also.....the company is too cheap to install scales.

Cheap to install scales? For what. We're hot hauling heavy freight here. Thats rich. You just like to find something to cry about. No matter how asinine it is.

QKRSTKR

What about my questions though. It's funny when WE know UPS isn't doing something that it could do to be safer. Or preserving our roads. We do have scales at our building. Feeder dispatch will tell drivers to weigh certain trailers. We really don't want to put the lightest trailer behind the tractor and hook up 2more behind it, do we?

tieguy

Banned
Three nights ago while going through my usual toll plazas that I go through the screen read LOW BALANCE as I went through. I told dispatch about it that morning and every morning since then. I was the first one to say anything about it but now other drivers are coming up LOW BALANCE too. Anyone else out there using company EZpass having the same issue? Corporate cheapskates better pay the damn bill or there will be problems getting loads to destinations on time most def.

corporate does not pay your EZ pass bill someone in your feeder department and or district pays it.

there is two possible issues here. Payment and method of payment.

Its possible they have not paid the bill or are getting close to a balance due situation.

Its also possible that the method of payment is been set to a manual refresh.

EZ Pass would like you to set your account up for automatic refresh. That means you give them your credit card and they take the payment when your balance drops to a specific level.

The problem with that arrangement is EZ Pass is real good at deciding they need to adjust the size of the automatic payment. They periodically look at your account and usage and decide that instead of taking 30000 for the next automatic payment they will now take 60000. Thats great unless your credit card limit is set at 50000. Thats happened to us a number of times before we finally went on a manual refresh.

Manual refresh is where we monitor it and we manually make a payment when the balance gets low.

When you set up your account for a manual refresh you get the low balance yellow light every time you go through regardless of whether the balance is actually low or not.

Your average feeder department pays between 80,000 to 120,000 a month. There is nothing cheap about EZ Pass and there is absolutely no cost savings on overweight fines by using EZ Pass. The Bypass system does not save us money on overweight fines as much as it saves us time on road.

tieguy

Banned
What about my questions though. It's funny when WE know UPS isn't doing something that it could do to be safer. Or preserving our roads. We do have scales at our building. Feeder dispatch will tell drivers to weigh certain trailers. We really don't want to put the lightest trailer behind the tractor and hook up 2more behind it, do we?

99.9 percent of all ups trailers are underweight. Of those that are overweight the overall majority of those loads are no more then a few hundred pounds over on one axle. There is no overweight safety issue here. The states fine us as a tax to pay for the extra wear and tear the load puts on their road surface.

Does your scale tell you how much weight you have on each axle? If it does not then it does you no good in determining if you're overweight or not at the scales.

tieguy

Banned
Cove, I stopped at that weigh station in Kittery when they were doing thier 72 hours of inspection... the Newbie that was behind me blew by! Statey asked why I stopped and he didn't, and advised if he wanted to go after him it would be a $611.00 fine!! I passed the word and he stops now! Thats one bill UPS wouldn't pay!!

That newbie should put the statey on his christmas list. I've seen drivers get stuck with 1000 dollar tickets for missing the weigh station.

bluehdmc

Three nights ago while going through my usual toll plazas that I go through the screen read LOW BALANCE as I went through. I told dispatch about it that morning and every morning since then. I was the first one to say anything about it but now other drivers are coming up LOW BALANCE too. Anyone else out there using company EZpass having the same issue? Corporate cheapskates better pay the damn bill or there will be problems getting loads to destinations on time most def.

When I started in North Jersey they used to say "low balance" all the time, it was the rare occasion they said "paid".
Someone explained to me that this was because UPS has gotten so many more tractors than when ez-pass system was set up but they didn't increase the replenishment amount.

I like the one that says " please call e-z pass". I just keep going. The camera will show the plate # and if you're" single sally", or pulling a "set".

I'm not sure if it can tell your pulling a "set", the tags I've seen that weren't in the holder on the fairing said "5 axle".
I just sort of figured UPS paid the 5 axle rate for bobtail, tractor w/pup (3 axle), tractor and tandem trailer (4 axle) or doubles, (5 axle).
Seeing as how long the lines are for the cash tolls, the savings in time and wages was worth the difference.
I also thought UPS might have gotten a package deal, supposedly they have a deal like that with NYC for tickets.

I don't know what kind of EZ Pass you're using down there but here the EZ Pass can not be used for bypassing weigh stations.

Does anyone really know how much weight they're pulling? Does the company really have any idea how much their loading into the trailer. Your last point is just plain idiotic.

I've seen pups that have come from OHIO with weights on the seal control slips. I figured this was for setting up triples.
Cheap to install scales? For what. We're hot hauling heavy freight here. Thats rich. You just like to find something to cry about. No matter how asinine it is.

Yes they are too cheap to install scales, also then the additional time taken to put a set together with the heavier one in front.

Although like previously mentioned, weights are on packages, if packages are scanned the approx weight of the load could be calculated.

We use percentages to put doubles together, higher (and hopefully heavier trailer in front) although you could have a trailer that was 100% styrofoam peanuts and another that was 50% nuts and bolts or paper, guess which one would be heavier?

Maybe you've never driven a set with the heavier trailer in the rear. It will push you all around, you'll stop check the snubber and wonder why the "wiggle wagon" is wiggling a little too much. Then you stop and switch the trailers and the problem is solved!
This was with two 100% trailers, (and I know they were 100%, not "hub 100% = true 60%", I sealed them)